Updating clone with 5.21 GDEMU

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
viper3344
undertow

Updating clone with 5.21 GDEMU

Post#1 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:51 pm

Hey everyone!

Wanted to ask this great community the last major question I have about my new gdemu clone. Had to get the clone because, well the original cannot be purchased anymore.

So the final 2 games to have issues were skies of arcadia and RE CV. The official 5.21 FW seems to fix it and makes the gdemu 100% compatible.

BUT, there are warning signs all over the place that say never to update a clone because it will brick it. Anyone know if there is a way to update the clone or is the FW on it right now the best ur gonna get?

Thanks!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Updating clone with 5.21 GDEMU

Post#2 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:33 pm

You cant update a clone there is no way it brick it i guess you read that it's for real no way to do it ..

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#3 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:16 pm

I'm afraid you'll find the same answer everywhere, you can't update the firmware on a clone. I've read that people have encountered issues with the latest firmware on the official GDemu anyway, so it's no great loss...besides, it's only Code Veronica that has a game breaking bug, every other game is completable without needing the update.

viper3344
undertow

Post#4 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:18 pm

Ahh ok cool. I mean if I REALLY wanted to play CV, I would play it a different way haha. For Skies of Arcadia, is it really just the intro video? Skip it and the rest is ok?

Thanks!

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#5 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:23 pm

viper3344 wrote:Ahh ok cool. I mean if I REALLY wanted to play CV, I would play it a different way haha. For Skies of Arcadia, is it really just the intro video? Skip it and the rest is ok?

Thanks!

Yes, the only issue with Skies of Arcadia is the intro video. I'm with you re: CV, I have the superior version on my modded PS2 so it's no loss to me :)

viper3344
undertow

Post#6 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:34 pm

Awesome! Also they made a HD version for PS3 so that works great as well!

retro
lithium

Post#7 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:00 pm

Agreed!
It's not worth taking the risk on a clone GDEmu

Skies of Arcadia is available on GameCube, while Code Veronica X is better played on PS3 or Xbox 360 anyway.

viper3344
undertow

Post#8 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:41 am

I guess the last thing I am looking for to finalize my SD card is which games NTSC US do NOT support with VGA and if there are patched for them. I know there are some master lists out there but cant for the life of me seem to find the "here are the games that dont work via VGA so here is a patched GDI/CDI and here are the games that nomatter what, you have to use the old cable"

For the life of me just cant find that answer haha

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#9 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:03 am

every game proper optimized with art for gdemu included most patched to vga if they can viewtopic.php?p=133823#p133823 really dont need any other set

viper3344
undertow

Post#10 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:07 pm

WOW IAN! That is fantastic!!!! It mentions 3 GDI games that are VGA patched. Any clue what those 3 were?

Thanks!