GDEmu vs. MODE

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
willis
letterbomb

GDEmu vs. MODE

Post#1 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:50 pm

Just wondering what the major difference was between these two? I know the GDEmu uses sd cards and the Mode supports HDD, SSD, sd, etc. Also I know the Mode can work on both the Dreamcast and Saturn.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: GDEmu vs. MODE

Post#2 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:38 am

Yeah pretty much what you said. Also, one costs over $200 and one costs as low as $40 for a clone. So for most people it makes more sense to get the GDEMU clone. Although the MODE does have some more flexibility and a nice menu and can organize games into their own folders if I am not mistaken? Somebody who owns one please chime in.

On GDEMU you can have multiple menu alternatives. We have menus for everything from regular Dreamcast games, Neo Geo CD and even PSX game menus. So what I do is I have a separate SD card with my Bleemshell menu and then one for my homebrew and emulators and one for retail games.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:39 pm

The MODE doesn't support Bleem!-Beta or some older rare homebrews But it looks rad for the saturn.

retro
lithium

Post#4 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:27 am

I am using the MODE for my Saturn, and absolutely love it!

However, a clone GDEMU is fine for Dreamcast since it is so much cheaper, and only has problems with Skies of Arcadia and Resident Evil Code Veronica.

If these two games are absolutely important to you, then go with MODE. Otherwise the clone GDEMU will suffice.

Of course a genuine GDEMU (if you can get it) would have updated firmware and fixes issues with these two games, and it's still cheaper than a MODE.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#5 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:06 pm

retro wrote:However, a clone GDEMU is fine for Dreamcast since it is so much cheaper, and only has problems with Skies of Arcadia and Resident Evil Code Veronica.

For future readers:

Skies of arcadia has a minor bug where the intro stops playing if you let it play the attract sequence. You can still press start and start the game, there are Zero gameplay issues.

RE does have a game breaking bug and requires editing your save to progress to second disc

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#6 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:46 pm

isn't there a disc skip issue with D2?