Using the Serial port reader as ram cache DOOMDC 640x480proof off concept

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Using the Serial port reader as ram cache DOOMDC 640x480proof off concept

Post#31 » Sun May 30, 2021 3:42 pm

Yeah that just goes to show you what can be achieved with official tools. Pretty damn impressive.

Dakangel
letterbomb

Post#32 » Sun May 30, 2021 3:50 pm

Is there a way to reverse enginer the 4x movie codec to have a KOS variation?
im thinking in the same fashion as Xvid is to DivX.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#33 » Sun May 30, 2021 4:05 pm

You could try reverse these
Attachments
lib4xmovie.rar
(24.37 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
4xmovie_sdk.rar
(22.47 KiB) Downloaded 227 times

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#34 » Sun May 30, 2021 4:14 pm

Anyways I'm learning now about virtual memory handling it's 50 hours of learning.. But like i show reading streaming from cdrom loading game files from the sd card works now can fix a lot of problems in old ports and or add proper cdda giving them a upgrade for free not having to software mix music such as ogg or mp3 or midi or wav.. it gives doomdc instant boost not having to mixj midi music it also uses 4mb less ram not having to emulate and convert mus to midi.. No why you could not use sd card as network cache

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#35 » Sun May 30, 2021 4:51 pm

If you want to make your own 4xm selfboot cdi check out my odds&sods disk.
devs left a matrix trailer 4xm video (probably to test the video player) on DreamOn Vol.9 Disk so i enabled it.
The quality is very good, but to encode a full dvd movie at best quality would be very large in size.
No way could it fit a cdr.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14183

[MXMOVIE]
Ginsu.Path = MEDIA
Ginsu.Command = "\MEDIA\4XMPLAY.BIN MATRIX.4XM"
Ginsu.FirstGDDA = 4
Manifest.Name = "The Matrix"
Manifest.Select.WellImage = MATRIX.PVR
Manifest.Select.AnimTarget07 = 172
Manifest.Demo.Path = MEDIA
Manifest.Demo.Command = "\MEDIA\4XMPLAY.BIN MATRIX.4XM"
Manifest.Play.FirstGDDA = 4

4XMPLAY.BIN was modded to load audio4x.drv since audio64.drv was also needed for other stuff on the disk. (audio4x.drv is just an updated version of audio64.drv (renamed to not conflict) used on later demo disks)

extract the data..
add these files from media folder:
4xmplay.bin
audio64.drv
audio4x.drv
midida.drv

then use ginsu and load your 4xm video.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#36 » Sun May 30, 2021 5:10 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:it gives doomdc instant boost not having to mixj midi music it also uses 4mb less ram not having to emulate and convert mus to midi.. No why you could not use sd card as network cache

As a proof of concept 4mb less ram with this method is a pretty significant reduction in the overheads for the DC :shock: . Brilliant work Ian.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#37 » Sun May 30, 2021 7:57 pm

SMiTH wrote:If you want to make your own 4xm selfboot cdi check out my odds&sods disk.
devs left a matrix trailer 4xm video (probably to test the video player) on DreamOn Vol.9 Disk so i enabled it.
The quality is very good, but to encode a full dvd movie at best quality would be very large in size.
No way could it fit a cdr.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14183

[MXMOVIE]
Ginsu.Path = MEDIA
Ginsu.Command = "\MEDIA\4XMPLAY.BIN MATRIX.4XM"
Ginsu.FirstGDDA = 4
Manifest.Name = "The Matrix"
Manifest.Select.WellImage = MATRIX.PVR
Manifest.Select.AnimTarget07 = 172
Manifest.Demo.Path = MEDIA
Manifest.Demo.Command = "\MEDIA\4XMPLAY.BIN MATRIX.4XM"
Manifest.Play.FirstGDDA = 4

4XMPLAY.BIN was modded to load audio4x.drv since audio64.drv was also needed for other stuff on the disk. (audio4x.drv is just an updated version of audio64.drv (renamed to not conflict) used on later demo disks)

extract the data..
add these files from media folder:
4xmplay.bin
audio64.drv
audio4x.drv
midida.drv

then use ginsu and load your 4xm video.

thats why you use a gdemu image and have 2gb image forget cdr.. for this mate :) i can build new version of this video player as well I do a demo movie and make a big gdemu image for people.. if wanted bootdreams will let you make 2gb cdi's and if you had a dreamshell ide hdd you could make 32gb image and play many movies lol

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#38 » Sun May 30, 2021 10:25 pm

If used right it's the only dvd quality movie player on dreamcast the tools encoder works on windows 7 64bit just follow the info in the tools i posted