Possible Ideas for Dual Analog input for Indie Game

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

Poll: Dual Analog Input Choice

Controller+Fishing rod
38%
Controller+Controller
8%
Single Controller
15%
Controller+Light gun
23%
Something else
15%
Total votes: 13

DreamcastKev
shadow

Re: Possible Ideas for Dual Analog input for Indie Game

Post#11 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:33 am

It would be cool if someone could redesign the Dreamcast controller where the joystick could be relocated next to the A,B,X,Y buttons and use a Saturn D-Pad for moving around. I guess the Dreamcast controller is good for games that are not a FPS.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#12 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:33 pm

It'd be great if someone would allow modern controllers to use the secondary analog stick feature already available in the Dreamcast instead of just mapping the face buttons to it.

The reason the fishing rod works is by utilising the secondary stick features, the same with the twin-stick controller.

Megavolt85 already confirmed Quake3Arena will recognise the expanded controls, and it would open up controls for homebrew.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#13 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:55 pm

Somebody recently asked Retro-Bit about their controllers. They said they hope to have more info by the end of the year. This thing can't come out soon enough. I hope so much they release a dual analog wireless version, since they already planned the Genesis/Mega Drive and Saturn dual analog versions as seen here. They were prototyping them and not actual products just yet.

So it is almost certain we will get the same treatment on the Dreamcast controller eventually after the single analog versions are out.

I also have a thread on the controllers over at Obscure if anybody wants more info on them. I update it as new info is posted.

https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/r ... -look.477/

DreamcastKev wrote:It would be cool if someone could redesign the Dreamcast controller where the joystick could be relocated next to the A,B,X,Y buttons and use a Saturn D-Pad for moving around. I guess the Dreamcast controller is good for games that are not a FPS.

Retro-Bit was working on a new licensed by Sega version.

It is obviously not dual analog yet, but they were working on dual analog wireless updated controllers for the previous 2 aforementioned Sega systems so no reason to think they wouldn't do the same for the Dreamcast. They are just taking their sweet ass time since they announced this collaboration with Sega back at CES 2018! Although to be quite fair, the pandemic did throw a wrench in their supply chain.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#14 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:20 pm

Problem is they will map the 2ns stick to face buttons making it useless retrobit needs to get intouch with homebrew dev's and the dc scene like mrneo240 and others megavolt to make a proper controller ..

right now the only real dual analog on dreamcast is normal controller and the fishing controller

other wise it's just dpad mapped to analog stick

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#15 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:46 am

Really annoys me that nobody has designed the bloody obvious, have a switch on a dual-stick controller. One mode has the second thumbstick replicate the face buttons, the other mode has the second stick actually be a real second analog stick. I can't imagine it could be THAT difficult to implement if you're already building a replacement pad.

I'd love to have this available, but the Brook Wingman SD guy didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I asked him, and the other companies (as Ian says) will likely make it a replacement for the face buttons (which is a worthless upgrade at this point because there's already a myriad of options for that).

I think megavolt85 was developing a system that allows for this, but it's not a purchasable item and I can't solder, so the technical skill required to create it effectively prices me out of the market. However the fact his system exists and he's proven it works makes the lack of options for genuine dual stick controls even more embarrassing. The DC can do genuine dual-stick controllers, we have a proven system for genuine dual stick controllers - yet anyone making controllers blows the opportunity.

I have RetroBit controllers for my Saturn and Mega Drive (and by extension SG-1000 and Master System). I won't buy their DC controllers until they add this feature. The Wingman SD does the job if I want a mostly-useless second stick, or I'll just use the official controller. I don't get why they're curtailing their own sales by neutering their options and those of the homebrew community.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#16 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:28 am

Well said Roareye :) these companys treat the scene like it's not a thing and think the normal punter is the main buyer we all know this is wack now this console the dreamcast has a follwing and a living scene yet it's like none of them know it's a thing

Well said :) we the dreamcast people are going to buy it not little jonny that buys a dreamcast looking at a review from john handcock up or sega pretendo lord

Problem is some people dont understand 2nd stick mapped to face buttons is not analog it makes games near impossible to play

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#17 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:45 am

Ian Micheal wrote:Well said Roareye :) these companys treat the scene like it's not a thing and think the normal punter is the main buyer we all know this is wack now this console the dreamcast has a follwing and a living scene yet it's like none of them know it's a thing

I mean it's just bad business on top of everything else. If you have a niche product, you need to market to that audience. I've never even seen RetroBit, 8BitDO or anyone else making controllers around here. They might post a topic advertising their latest release, but they never communicate to see what that audience actually works. It makes no sense from a business perspective, let alone a fanbase perspective. Irony is, the first company to build a readily accessible, genuine Dual Stick DC controller (not button mapping) would make an absolute mint out of this community!

Quake III dual stick? Potentially hacked official games? Legit dual stick indie titles (Would love a Geometry Wars style game)? And your product is the sole way to play? Sold. Immediately. Day damn one.

Well said :) we the dreamcast people are going to buy it not little jonny that buys a dreamcast looking at a review from john handcock up or sega pretendo lord

Ho dayum! I know John Hancock was called out for promoting some crap hardware for a payday, but what did Sega Lord X do to earn your ire?

Problem is some people dont understand 2nd stick mapped to face buttons is not analog it makes games near impossible to play

Analog controls like this don't allow for diagonal motions very well. It's not a major improvement.

In fact I wish my second thumbstick was mapped to the D-Pad instead of the face buttons in all honesty. Would be SO much better in PSO to, on the pause screen, run with my character with the left stick while going through my menu with my right. Pressing down to shoot is frankly worthless.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#18 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:26 am

Roareye wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:Well said Roareye :) these companys treat the scene like it's not a thing and think the normal punter is the main buyer we all know this is wack now this console the dreamcast has a follwing and a living scene yet it's like none of them know it's a thing

I mean it's just bad business on top of everything else. If you have a niche product, you need to market to that audience. I've never even seen RetroBit, 8BitDO or anyone else making controllers around here. They might post a topic advertising their latest release, but they never communicate to see what that audience actually works. It makes no sense from a business perspective, let alone a fanbase perspective. Irony is, the first company to build a readily accessible, genuine Dual Stick DC controller (not button mapping) would make an absolute mint out of this community!

Quake III dual stick? Potentially hacked official games? Legit dual stick indie titles (Would love a Geometry Wars style game)? And your product is the sole way to play? Sold. Immediately. Day damn one.

Ho dayum! I know John Hancock was called out for promoting some crap hardware for a payday, but what did Sega Lord X do to earn your ire?

Analog controls like this don't allow for diagonal motions very well. It's not a major improvement.

In fact I wish my second thumbstick was mapped to the D-Pad instead of the face buttons in all honesty. Would be SO much better in PSO to, on the pause screen, run with my character with the left stick while going through my menu with my right. Pressing down to shoot is frankly worthless.

Sega pretendo lord has on many times just been wrong he likes to get people upset and say the same echo chamber crap and then watch the fights in his comments he once did it with me i have no time for him any more.. Like just lately the click bait saturns ugly games and the list goes on ..

the click bait this why dreamcast failed when his views goes down there's always a negtive video about sega next that he spins ..

In my dealings with him he could care less about sega not a fan of his or his channel

not the only one to notice btw
Mr Cynically Red
1 week ago
Now we've had 3 videos in a row, showing the Saturn at its worst, how about a brand new Saturn at its best, with games not previously covered?!?

Spewa2233
Spewa2233
1 week ago (edited)
I was just about to comment this, the positive videos are always my favorite.

Scott Oleson
Scott Oleson
3 days ago
@Spewa2233 yeah I really like the race / hard drivin’ series, hate that he’s calling it shit when I could appreciate it as a kid and still bow

Spewa2233
Spewa2233
3 days ago
@Scott Oleson I agree, its a good port of an 80s arcade game, not sure what he was expecting from it or why he is so harsh on it.

This is the type of stuff he lives for upsetting people he knows how to press peoples buttons in the videos
50 shades of the dominator
3 days ago
When you say something wasn't released outside of Japan and imply that means it's rubbish, that's a ridiculous claim. Most anime, manga, eroge etc are not released internationally, because certain Japanese companies don't want to face backlash from countries like the USA etc, heck even some Japanese websites are blocked from non Japanese ISP.
It only means it's a rubbish product if it wasn't released internationally, if the Japanese company itself was trying to actually release it internationally.
Just because something doesn't make it's way into the USA, doesn't mean it's rubbish, you are using a very weird benchmark to define what is and isn't rubbish, I guess the most upper class Japanese restaurants are rubbish according to your definition, since they didn't open up a second restaurant in the USA, lol.

BTW the USA's games and such don't even sell well inside Japan, and many US games don't make it to Japan. Does that mean US games are rubbish? Oh, you only think it works one way right?

Sega Lord X
Sega Lord X
2 days ago
Yeah, you are implying a lot of meanings that I never argued. I simply stated when a WESTERN created title is released ONLY in Japan for a game system, it usually means the quality was so poor nobody else wanted to bother.

He did not only says this in the video btw anyways not going to go any futher into this but i can tell you pretendo lord is a good name..
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#19 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:13 am

Fair enough. I'm a passive observer of thes things and tend not to take video content creator's opinions to heart. I've disagreed multiple times with all video content creators.

The recent spate of Sega Sucks videos has put me off as of late. I guess cos he's American it makes sense for him to rip on Sega for views. I do prefer more positive videos myself. It's not as if he's a comedian who makes bad games funnier, so it just comes across as a moan lol

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#20 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:18 am

Roareye wrote:Fair enough. I'm a passive observer of thes things and tend not to take video content creator's opinions to heart. I've disagreed multiple times with all video content creators.

The recent spate of Sega Sucks videos has put me off as of late. I guess cos he's American it makes sense for him to rip on Sega for views. I do prefer more positive videos myself. It's not as if he's a comedian who makes bad games funnier, so it just comes across as a moan lol

Dont get me wrong i use to like his videos i was one of his first ever subs btw

But the last year with him thinking when he says this game shit the whole bed and this is shit is not for me really sega still owes him $50 for this game the game was not even made by sega he thinks he is funny..

hell I'm just nuts i dont care if I'm funny or anything else on my channel.. But i dont call my self dreamcast homebrew lord ether then bash hombrew

Many times he bashes sega and it's systems then says he loves them you die if you took a drink every time he says sadly blah blah and i love sega

Reminds me of racists saying but i have black freinds