I've been always looking for non-modification methods for high quality output on the dreamcast.
This ain't dchdmi but it's a fraction of the price and 80% of the way there.
So onto what I've learned and bought recently:
Atlona AT-HD500, VGA to HDMI scaler (discontinued)
Atlona AT-HD-SC-500, VGA to HDMI scaler (current model)
The retail price of these units is roughly $500, but thankfully they can be had on eBay for roughly $50 used.
The older, AT-HD500 is able to output 480p over HDMI while the newer model is not. If you care about this fact keep it in mind.
- Both units easily handle the Dreamcast outputting VGA, even with it's strange timing and such.
- Both units are very configurable for picture aspect, position, and color correction
- Both work beautifully with hydro thunder
- Both have physical hardware buttons to allow for adjustments and retain them between power off
- Both require 5v 3a power supplies
- The AT-HD-SC-500 is configurable in realtime over Ethernet with a webui
- Both happily combine stereo 3.5mm audio and VGA into HDMI output
Tomorrow or sometime I will add some pictures and such.
Personally I would highly recommend one of these units if you can find one for around $50 (and please don't spend $500, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1189485-REG/atlona_at_hd_sc_500_3_input_scaler_for.html )
Some pictures of my new DC command center
- Top: DC+gdemu
- Middle: wifi router, portta component to HDMI
- Bottom: Atlona AT-HD500, AT-HD-SC-500, Startech usb3hdcap