NFL2k series roster file

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SMiTH
Black Mesa

NFL2k series roster file

Post#1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:53 pm

So the roster file is r2000.iff
If you view in hex the character data is there for each player. (it appears this is the case?)
Knowing which player is what character data, well that would be difficult.
But it could go in order of player names listed in roster?

The player names of the roster can be viewed in hex as well.
Replacing the player names with more current ones can be done.
They might only work if using exact character limit but maybe when writing over the player names and ending with 00 then each name after would need to follow the same strutcture.

Just replacing the character names will still keep the original character data, so we would have to figure that out.

Character data (maybe?)

Roster

If any1 wants to look at it and give some input let me know.
The roster files are attached.
2k3 roster looks encrypted?
Attachments
2k3_ROSTER.rar
(255.22 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
2k2 roster_R2000.rar
(109.07 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
2k1 roster_R2000.rar
(102.84 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
2k roster_R2000.rar
(131.98 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
Last edited by SMiTH on Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Re: NFL2k series roster file

Post#2 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 pm

bro if you add new rosters you will be a god among men

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:22 pm

dubcity wrote:bro if you add new rosters you will be a god among men

i'm not seeking that.
i want this to be a group project.
maybe we can all work together and actually add a new roster?
maybe we can add other mods too.

the stadiums glitch when swapped from ncaa to nfl2k2.
the uniforms glitch when swapped from ncaa to nfl2k2.
still need to check nfl2k3 files...

we need others to provide their skills in order to complete a project.
editing textures, ideas, etc. all of it.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#4 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:30 pm

SMiTH wrote:
dubcity wrote:bro if you add new rosters you will be a god among men

i'm not seeking that.
i want this to be a group project.
maybe we can all work together and actually add a new roster?
maybe we can add other mods too.

the stadiums glitch when swapped from ncaa to nfl2k2.
the uniforms glitch when swapped from ncaa to nfl2k2.
still need to check nfl2k3 files...

we need others to provide their skills in order to complete a project.
editing textures, ideas, etc. all of it.

ok demigod then lol

Seriously tho people have been modding rosters in nfl 2k5 for so long it would be great to get updated rosters on DC NFL games. I'm sure some folks will join in to help you.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#5 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:38 pm

lets not go full force with it yet.
we can leave it up for others to give their input.
see where it goes...

then based off of the initial responses, seek out a community that has been modding nfl2k5 for years etc.
we can try to build on what we can here at dreamcast talk first.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#6 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:56 am

One big ism with NFL2K2 is that Tom Brady was the forth string QB during the development of the game. Just before the season started, two of the QBs were no longer with the New England Patriots, so only one of the two QBs on the Dreamcast roster for the Patriots was actually a member of the New England Patriots. Brady wound up being the starter that season. From worst to first. So, no classic Brady/Manning shootout.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

fraggle200
chill

Post#7 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:23 am

SMiTH wrote:So the roster file is r2000.iff
If you view in hex the character data is there for each player. (it appears this is the case?)
Knowing which player is what character data, well that would be difficult.
But it could go in order of player names listed in roster?

The player names of the roster can be viewed in hex as well.
Replacing the player names with more current ones can be done.
They might only work if using exact character limit but maybe when writing over the player names and ending with 00 then each name after would need to follow the same strutcture.

Just replacing the character names will still keep the original character data, so we would have to figure that out.

If any1 wants to look at it and give some input let me know.
The roster file attached is from nfl2k2.

I had a quick look at the file in Ghidra but even after looking at it with the 3 SH4 languages it has it still didn't seem quite right but it did decompile it to a point. if you've got the inclination it might be worth trying it with some of the other languages in there to see whats going on. There's loads of them and there's no quick way to reapply a new language and reanalyze that I know off so it's a bit of a ballache but you could end up with a very well decompiled bit of code that helps in understanding how to manipulate what you need for the roster.

Xiden
Developer

Post#8 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Did anyone ever find the 2k1 roster file? Did 2k2 have one?

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#9 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:07 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:One big ism with NFL2K2 is that Tom Brady was the forth string QB during the development of the game. Just before the season started, two of the QBs were no longer with the New England Patriots, so only one of the two QBs on the Dreamcast roster for the Patriots was actually a member of the New England Patriots. Brady wound up being the starter that season. From worst to first. So, no classic Brady/Manning shootout.

forth -> fourth
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#10 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:30 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:One big ism with NFL2K2 is that Tom Brady was the forth string QB during the development of the game. Just before the season started, two of the QBs were no longer with the New England Patriots, so only one of the two QBs on the Dreamcast roster for the Patriots was actually a member of the New England Patriots. Brady wound up being the starter that season. From worst to first. So, no classic Brady/Manning shootout.

Brady at 4th string, look where he is now.
:)

fraggle200 wrote:I had a quick look at the file in Ghidra but even after looking at it with the 3 SH4 languages it has it still didn't seem quite right but it did decompile it to a point. if you've got the inclination it might be worth trying it with some of the other languages in there to see whats going on. There's loads of them and there's no quick way to reapply a new language and reanalyze that I know off so it's a bit of a ballache but you could end up with a very well decompiled bit of code that helps in understanding how to manipulate what you need for the roster.

i have never tried ghidra.
this is very interesting.

Xiden wrote:Did anyone ever find the 2k1 roster file? Did 2k2 have one?

updated first post with rosters from: 2k, 2k1, 2k2, 2k3
Last edited by SMiTH on Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.