NFL2k series roster file

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: NFL2k series roster file

Post#31 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:12 pm

MoeFoh wrote:@SMiTH, nicely done proof of concept. I'd be happy with only a name change for one team using rap star names, i.e. "Tupac throws a screen pass to Notorious B.I.G" kind of thing. I suppose we could hex-edit in the new names and leave everything else alone.

What I originally wanted to do was swap stadiums from ncaa to nfl2k1.
Problem is that the stadiums once swapped cause a bad glitch where the ball is always at 50 yard line.
Another thing i wanted to do was swap college playbooks for pro playbooks.

A mod with big and tiny players would be easy.
A name swap would be easy too.
Maybe even teams with all the same player? mechanic wanted all reggie white on defense lol
Idk maybe I can figure something out?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#32 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:05 pm

So, this looks like it could end here...Tom Brady loses in the video game realm but wins in real life...ouch!

lol!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#33 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:48 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:So, this looks like it could end here...Tom Brady loses in the video game realm but wins in real life...ouch!

lol!

the roster dream is over at least with me.
this doesn't mean it can't be done

I checked the nba and nhl 2k games and they do not use a r2000.iff (roster is done differently)
Tried swapping basketball courts with stadiums, it loads a black screen and blue sky with 50 yard glitch.
NHL has different file types.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#34 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:49 pm

I saw on the BlueSwirl Dream Explorer disc that a person made a VMU save that claimed to had the Carolina Panthers 2k4 roster changes. I will load it to my 4x memory card and test it. I will post my results.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#35 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:39 pm

I would not give up entirely on the roster dream.
As fraggle200 has said when viewing r2000.iff in ghidra that there is more to the file.
There is much more to be found for sure.
I have found a few things that I did not know before.
The NBA and NHL 2k games do roster differently from the NFL 2k series.
DCRes made a selfboot of NBA2k, and DCCM made a selfboot of NHL2k.

So far swapping stadiums has been unsuccessful (NCAA, NBA, NHL), need to test NFL 2k1, 2k though.
Bob finding a roster vmu save sounds promising.
A roster update is something that needs to be done in the future, its just a matter of who will take the lead and start a project with others to complete the mod.

Here is a link of the only post that I have ever found that describes some of NFL2k data.

http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/archi ... 79729.html

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#36 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:22 pm

Test Result:
I copied the NFL 2K2 Full Roster save0004.VMI file from the BlueSwirl disc but the VMS did not appear on my official Sega VMU, just the VMI. I am using the official GD-ROM disc. When I boot the game, it says it is corrupt and will "ignore" the file. I have been told the VMS file is hidden and that is why I do not see it on my VMU.

QUESTION:
Can this save be "saved"? If this is that " file", then this would be the thing people were looking for long ago...like me.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#37 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:54 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:Test Result:
I copied the NFL 2K2 Full Roster save0004.VMI file from the BlueSwirl disc but the VMS did not appear on my official Sega VMU, just the VMI. I am using the official GD-ROM disc. When I boot the game, it says it is corrupt and will "ignore" the file. I have been told the VMS file is hidden and that is why I do not see it on my VMU.

QUESTION:
Can this save be "saved"? If this is that " file", then this would be the thing people were looking for long ago...like me.

Its been years since i have looked at vmu saves. (2009)
Need to track down app to decrypt the saves, then view them in hex editor.
If character data is viewable then maybe we can figure something out.

After save is modified it needs a new crc checksum.
At one point I remember using 3 different apps to work with vmu saves.
Some1 wanna refresh my memory on this? <---

I will attach some of the apps as I find them.
Attachments
dccrypt.zip
(7.46 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
LCdis.rar
(23.46 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Last edited by SMiTH on Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#38 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:13 pm

I ran Dream Explorer on Reicast (Android) and it worked!
Notes from the Carolina Panthers save:

nfl2k1.png
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#39 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:30 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:Test Result:

QUESTION:

Maybe try the 'fix crc' option on Dreamcast Explorer after the save is copied to the VMU.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#40 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:18 pm

Good news! The character data and roster names are viewable in the nfl2k2 saves. :D

Code: Select all

The best save! Rosters are almost exact to NFL2K3!Even Cris Carter for the Packers,Hakim for Lions, I even made 2003 Rookies!All real life rosters, current of Nov.2002

NFL2k2 Roster save @ http://www.bucanero.com.ar/dreamcast/vm ... v65272.VMS