NFL2k series roster file

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: NFL2k series roster file

Post#21 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:20 am

fraggle200 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

at least you know you're on the right track.

I had another shot in Ghidra with the R2000.IFF file when I had a few minutes and I'm still not turning much up, code wise. Which leads me to 1 of 2 thoughts. either I've not found the correct decompiler for it yet or it is just a roster/stadium file that lists players and stadiums and nothing more and there's a binary somewhere else that references it and does something with that data. there's an awful lot of wasted space in the file if that was the case though so I'm sure there must be more to it. another issue is that *.IFF is a catch all file type so it could be used for any thing with any means under any circs so it's harder to pin it down to what exactly it's trying to do rather than just list players/stadium.

where did you get the char data? another file?

The character data is in the r2000.iff (i kinda thought it was because it looked similar to character data that i have seen in other games b4) i just used a memory editor and null dc to find the hex and modified the character data to see if that is what it was. and yup it is.

good thing is that the character data and roster names are all in order.

next part would be a process of creating custom player character data (in memory editor then copy hex etc)

I think there is much more stuff in the r2000.iff file than just player names and character data.

Here is Mike Gruttadauria after name changed to BIGSUMBITCH..lol

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#22 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:16 am

SMiTH wrote:The names listed in roster are also in order with the character data as well.
We could swap around character data as well as roster names.
Maybe eventually figure out custom player character data?
There is much more to do, but this means its possible.

If you look at the 2k2 roster the first player listed is Mike Gruttadauria.

Here is Mike Gruttadauria's character data in hex editor. (in order 1st listed character data)

Here is Mike Gruttadauria after I changed values of the character data in memory editor LOL!

Here is Corey Chavous after memory edit (2nd listed in roster, 2nd listed in character data)

:lol:
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#23 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:52 pm

What this means is that if a roster app were created to load the r2000.iff file... then each player name and player character data could be modified. The app could load the roster file, sort by team (each player and position), the player name could be edited and a function added to allow editing custom character data.

Once the character data is understood as for each value that can be modified, then the editor could allow custom character creation. There are free agents listed in the roster, so they would need their own section in the app. More than likely a similar method for roster is used in all of the 2k games on dreamcast. (nfl, nba, nhl). <--need to check and see

The first part to complete is to go through the roster (r2000.iff) in order and write down the team and position for each player listed. Double check by loading the game to see if correct. If the player is a free agent then write that down as well. (copy the player name section from the r2000.iff and save to text to make it easier)

Other parts of the game would need updating too. Teams that have changed logos or city (they would need texture mods for uniforms, helmets, etc.), hex edit for city name etc. The bio for players would need to be edited as well. (the bio for players might be something that could be added to a roster app as well, this way when some1 wants to create a custom roster...they could edit bio as well)

Either way it all can be done. Simply finding the section that allows character data/player names to be modified is the start...So now all of the crazy stuff that needs to be done will take a group of ppl working together to complete.

Let me know if we should continue or stop b4 it gets out of hand lol

Retro-45
letterbomb

Post#24 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:59 pm

I have a feeling shit is about to hit the fan. Good job SMITH you opened up pandoras box. But on a serious note get this is gonna open up the game like crazy. One thing I would like to know is would this work during online games?

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#25 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:06 pm

Retro-45 wrote:I have a feeling shit is about to hit the fan. Good job SMITH you opened up pandoras box. But on a serious note get this is gonna open up the game like crazy. One thing I would like to know is would this work during online games?

You're right shtf lol.
It truly is pandoras box.
Basically we will need to build a team of ppl to work on this.
If we can complete the project, then it should be possible to do on the other dreamcast 2k sports games as well.

As for working online..yes, it would work online but it would all be client side.
So both players would need to use an updated nfl2k2 game to see the changes.

I will try posting the portion of the roster that lists the player names later tonight.
I will also explain a bit more about the player data (where it starts and each section for each player) *at least the first 2 and last etc

This will need to be a group effort and it more than likely will be frustrating and annoying to deal with.
We will see how far it goes?
Its really up to us to complete it.

We need to find modders that can work with textures and the various sega formats and howto convert them properly, coders that can create the roster application, researchers to find the player names and what team and position they play (in order from the roster file), map out the character data (which values do what etc..) and more.

Good thing is there are plenty of ppl here at dreamcast talk that can do this.
Eventually we can reach out to different modding communities i.e footballidiot, operation sports, (any1 who works with nfl2k5 roster mods etc. and the ppl who created the nfl2k5 roster app)

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#26 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:42 pm

I have one correction... Tom Brady did play one
game in 2000, which was his rookie year, which puts him as a Patriot in NFL2k1.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#27 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:59 pm

So here is an example of the r2000.iff for 2k2 football (showing character data and roster names in order as listed)
Attached is a text file with the roster of all the player names from 2k2 football (in order from top left to right)

Attachments
2k2 ROSTER IN ORDER (top left to right).txt
(23.51 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#28 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:02 am

Ok, last post for now.
I will take a break.

Looks like this is as big as a player can get.
LOL!

And of course tiny.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#29 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:15 pm

I figure that even if you had a group of ppl working on updating roster/character data/team names/logos/stadium names/player bios/player mugshots/an application for roster/etc..A timeline to complete the project would more than likely be a year or more. It would be a huge undertaking for sure. I will hit pause on any more research about the roster. But, we should leave this info up for others. Maybe eventually people will want to attempt a roster update. It can be done though.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#30 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:52 pm

@SMiTH, nicely done proof of concept. I'd be happy with only a name change for one team using rap star names, i.e. "Tupac throws a screen pass to Notorious B.I.G" kind of thing. I suppose we could hex-edit in the new names and leave everything else alone.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski