Has Anyone Successful Replaced the Back Polarizer of the VMU?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
alvin777
photon blast

Has Anyone Successful Replaced the Back Polarizer of the VMU?

Post#1 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:58 am

Hello Dreamcast friends.

Has anyone here or if you know someone outside of these forums, who have successful replace the back polarizer of the VMU (the front polarizer is fine), kindly, if it's alright with you, share with us how you did it (including details of the polarizer you bought, is it negative or positive polarizer, what angle. Is it 0 or 90 degree polarizer, adhesive used, etc.).

Thank you in advance. Please advise.

God bless, Revelation 21:4

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Has Anyone Successful Replaced the Back Polarizer of the VMU?

Post#2 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:45 pm

Sorry, I know not of this but I am responding to bump this topic up in hopes someone else who can help you out sees this. Good luck.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

xzer0PL
rebel

Post#3 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:18 am

I replaced a polarizer with success. I need to replace it because I wanted to do a backlight mod. You need an isopropyl alcohol and scratch a veeeryy well glued polarizer sticker using your nail. Be careful it's easy to destroy rubber pads around. Start from a corner and go forward. I used an old cellphone (classic with buttons) polarizer. And whole things needed to backlight.

alvin777
photon blast

Post#4 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:47 am

Hi. I asked advise from genius retro electronics person, he guessed the angle of this back polarizer, if it's not the LCD which I hope not (but I'm sure it's the front polarizer) is 45/137 degrees. I painstakingly found a 5cm x 5cm one which is quite expensive for its size and compare to a front polarizer and bought it. I'll install it once it arrives.

God bless, Rev. 21:4

xzer0PL
rebel

Post#5 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:02 am

The worst thing to remove is glue. Foil came off quickly but the glue is real pain here. You dont need to buy anything. Just take old cellphone and take apart Lcd screen. There are many layers of filters inside.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#6 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:41 am

alvin777 wrote:Hi. I asked advise from genius retro electronics person, he guessed the angle of this back polarizer, if it's not the LCD which I hope not (but I'm sure it's the front polarizer) is 45/137 degrees. I painstakingly found a 5cm x 5cm one which is quite expensive for its size and compare to a front polarizer and bought it. I'll install it once it arrives.

God bless, Rev. 21:4

Hope it was not too costly vmu's can be had almost new for $10 I would not pay more then $20 for one..