Serial port speed read write benchmark

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
MoeFoh
Uber

Re: Serial port speed read write benchmark

Post#11 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:18 pm

hey ian, I just bought the sd card reader base on your input. Thanks. AliExpress shipped to my door - $12.78. I think that's a good deal for the updated version. Your right, there are more uses for the adapter than most people realize. 8-)
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#12 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:25 pm

MoeFoh wrote:hey ian, I just bought the sd card reader base on your input. Thanks. AliExpress shipped to my door - $12.78. I think that's a good deal for the updated version. Your right, there are more uses for the adapter than most people realize. 8-)

MoeFoh I got the BitFunx one Ian recommended a few years ago have to say it works like a charm.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#13 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:00 pm

Great you guys have this so when i release the hybrid homebrew you can try it out :)

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#14 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:02 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Great you guys have this so when i release the hybrid homebrew you can try it out :)

Ring me up when ready. I have a GDEMU.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#15 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:17 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Great you guys have this so when i release the hybrid homebrew you can try it out :)

Let's go GOAT - There's three of us :D

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#16 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:31 pm

IMO the biggest tech achievement on Dreamcast. Using SD reader like a hard drive at same time as gdrom drive. Dreamcast will act like a PC in this environment.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#17 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:31 am

what loader did you use dear @Ian ?
Do you notice something better with video and this sd card reader like sonic adventure intro for example ?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#18 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:59 am

fafadou wrote:what loader did you use dear @Ian ?
Do you notice something better with video and this sd card reader like sonic adventure intro for example ?

Really want move away from retail games and use this for better things
=================================================================================================================
If you downsample optimize the game not use GDI file you can get it working well Max speed of movies from sega was 400kb to 600kb that's it
You have 4x speed optimize the game for that..Loader 11
You would have to hack each game like they did for a cdr..
Cdr is not any faster then the serial port other then you can use cdda and you have no DMA on the serial port
Homebrew we can code it to look for cdda on the cdr hence no slow down the game runs perfect.. Boot data from the sd card
So no stop start like a normal system just like a pc

Benfit reading 2 places at once full write space for unpacking things and not in system ram hombrew games with on the fly
savestates direct to the sdcard can load the bin on the cdr or sd card updating of main game with no need to reburn or send out
a fixed disk out new version ...
==========================================================================================================

Flow chart
===================================================================================================
Booting on cdr or gdemu ---> game looks for bin on sd card if found loads it and not the one on the disk
reading at 2 places at the same time music video can play while loading that bin
Game boots new update bin seemless with write space Read/write

Game can load fullspeed video audio on the cdr ---> data loads faster on the sd card multi file at once no read a head of 8 files
Multi random seek no moving parts

Example Dreambor takes under 10 secs to load on the sd card ,,, takes up to 2 mins on cdr up to 50 secs on the gdemu..

Loading of 1000's of files is fastest from the serial port handdown..

Fastest many small files at once is the serial port and sd card..
User has no idea when it uses the serial port reading writing and loading from cdr-gdemu to serial port is seem less no dreamshell loader the fat32 loader is built into the main program indie game or release..

The game will still work with no serial port on boot it can detect and load ether bin on the cdr-gdemu -- serial port..

When it does detect SE edition you get the other features update bug fix new levels unlimited save spots etc.. VMU is still used for normal user and display ..

Serial port user gets savestates and multi slots no limit etc
This all not hard to do if i can do it at my skill level..
Please load times for data are faster then gdemu-cdr level data would almost be instant..

========================================================================================================

GDI file is using fullspeed using block 3 if you did not read the topic or english is hard to understand..

I will do a demo of hacking a retail game like this dont know why no one did i think some one must of ..????
Getting away from retail games is the main point there are better ways to play them using it for indie homebrew and both at the same time is more what this about..
When i use it i Do not use any dreamshell loader at all ..Your Never going to optimize games using cdda that needs DMA

Playing those and thinking it's slow really not the case..
Attachments
gdrom speed.png
gdrom speed.png (32.97 KiB) Viewed 5059 times

megavolt85
Developer

Post#19 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:10 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Any indie game could use it for more levels replays save space etc dont need dreamshell to load it can use fat32loader included in kos to do all that as the same time as the main game loads

with one caveat, DreamShell has its own SD-SPI driver, which is faster than the one built into KOS

megavolt85
Developer

Post#20 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:15 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Not as slow as i see a lot claim

your SD card is not very good quality, a card with a fast controller gives out 7 Mbit/s