Serial port speed read write benchmark

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
yzb
Developer

Re: Serial port speed read write benchmark

Post#31 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:43 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
DarkVampire295 wrote:So I like have a question since the cdr has dreamshell how does it read the disc for the game and the sounds come from the sd card? Kinda new to that concept

Sounds or cdda come from the cdr not using dreamshell loader at all but fat 32 loader built into the bin

data is being read== write to the sd card/// cdda or music or adx is coming from the cdr this means reading in 2 places at once so any streaming format can play while loading data..

Cant stream cdda and load data at the same time on cdr you can with what I'm doing since all data is loaded from the sd card..

simple concpet works flawless

SD card has faster seek times data loads faster Course optimized fat32 loader ..

I have come back from sega Saturn using SDL, and have tested this method works on Saturn, although Saturn has 2 cpu, it is more suitable for this kind of thing, but dc should be faster because the cpu is fast enough Much faster than ss, I have tested and used my own rewritten spi driver to read dc 2Mb bios and 128kb flash, and it only takes about 10 seconds to write to SD card, theoretically it will be faster to read :mrgreen:

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#32 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:22 am

yzb wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:
DarkVampire295 wrote:So I like have a question since the cdr has dreamshell how does it read the disc for the game and the sounds come from the sd card? Kinda new to that concept

Sounds or cdda come from the cdr not using dreamshell loader at all but fat 32 loader built into the bin

data is being read== write to the sd card/// cdda or music or adx is coming from the cdr this means reading in 2 places at once so any streaming format can play while loading data..

Cant stream cdda and load data at the same time on cdr you can with what I'm doing since all data is loaded from the sd card..

SD card has faster seek times data loads faster Course optimized fat32 loader ..

I have come back from sega Saturn using SDL, and have tested this method works on Saturn, although Saturn has 2 cpu, it is more suitable for this kind of thing, but dc should be faster because the cpu is fast enough Much faster than ss, I have tested and used my own rewritten spi driver to read dc 2Mb bios and 128kb flash, and it only takes about 10 seconds to write to SD card, theoretically it will be faster to read :mrgreen:

Yeah way fast enff to do a ton of things..

yzb
Developer

Post#33 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:03 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
yzb wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:

Yeah way fast enff to do a ton of things..

I have made the first commercial game for sd card format in my own way, but I still need to rely on the file manager system of dreamshell to run my boot bin file (of course, this file can also be made into cdi format) ;)

Here is the test video: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1xD4y1V7aP/

The link below is the iso file I made, download the compressed package in the link, and then decompress it to the root directory of the SD card (a bin file and an iso file).
The image is not big, only 21M after decompression
You must use an SD card greater than or equal to 4G

But you can't start the iso directly in isoldr, because I have made a lot of changes to all the files of this game, and made some optimizations for the sd card mode, so I can only run the TEST.bin file in the file manager of dreamshell

Of course, you can also use the following method to modify your own image file, so that you can directly start your own image file in isoldr

Search for the hexadecimal value of the image file:
FC7F47D1 00E645D24360

You can use the sd card to play the game on the ds

0b000900 00E645D24360

https://mega.nz/file/UGpD3YrC#iXaO4qiGH ... kcV3_107ws

Thanks swat for guiding me~~~~ :mrgreen:

yzb
Developer

Post#34 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:13 am

I recorded a video of KOF98 using gdemu+SERIAL to transmit data with 32M large-capacity memory

Music doesn't stop playing after each round :mrgreen:

GDEMU+SERIAL_SD+32M_RAM

video:https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1rG4y1S7iY/

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#35 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:16 am

Oh do you mean 32MB from sd card and not new chip instead of 16MB by default ?

yzb
Developer

Post#36 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:06 am

fafadou wrote:Oh do you mean 32MB from sd card and not new chip instead of 16MB by default ?

No, 32M comes from the DC RAM, and then read and run the game through the sd card of gdemu+SERIAL,

You can simply understand that GDEMU+Dreamshell work at the same time :mrgreen:

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#37 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:11 am

yzb wrote:
fafadou wrote:Oh do you mean 32MB from sd card and not new chip instead of 16MB by default ?

No, 32M comes from the DC RAM, and then read and run the game through the sd card of gdemu+SERIAL,

You can simply understand that GDEMU+Dreamshell work at the same time :mrgreen:

Oh wonderful !

VirtuaShenmue
fire

Post#38 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:29 am

I have a few questions about the serial port (sorry If they are already asked):

1-if I understand correctly, if the ISO is optimized, you can play a game at max speed even on serial port?

2-how do you load game on serial port? Classic Dreamshell + SD adapter or there are also other ways witthout modding the console?

3-is there a way to avoid using dreamshell CD-R every time?

Thanks

megavolt85
Developer

Post#39 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:04 am

1) the speed is about the same as that of a CD-R, but lower than that of a licensed disc. a lot depends on the game, CD-R is faster in some games, and SD is faster in some.

2) Dreamshell + SD adapter. it is not necessary to modify the console to use DreamShell

3) discless booting is only possible with console modification. BIOS mod

VirtuaShenmue
fire

Post#40 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:23 am

Thanks for the answers!

It would be cool to have dreamsheel boot directly from the dongle.