Serial port speed read write benchmark

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Serial port speed read write benchmark

Post#21 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:20 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:Any indie game could use it for more levels replays save space etc dont need dreamshell to load it can use fat32loader included in kos to do all that as the same time as the main game loads

with one caveat, DreamShell has its own SD-SPI driver, which is faster than the one built into KOS

Yes that be good to upgrade in kos for sure.. I'm using fat32 loader right now still seems pretty fast but have no benchmark..
Seems to be with in sec's at the moment.. I know it could be made faster..

Dreamshell is amazing but the way i want to use the serial port it's not needed as I'm building in that to the main bin so its' seem less ..

Kos fat32 versions would need upgrading for more speed .. At the moment it's still faster loading doom from a cdr
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#22 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:21 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:Not as slow as i see a lot claim

your SD card is not very good quality, a card with a fast controller gives out 7 Mbit/s

Yes cheap walmart card ;) Was like $5 lol

megavolt85
Developer

Post#23 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:30 pm

SD serial is not very much in demand, if indie developers would like to use external storage, I would write a driver for the USB2SERIAL adapter, and the cost of such an adapter is only $2-3 higher than that of SD2SERIAL

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#24 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:33 pm

megavolt85 wrote:SD serial is not very much in demand, if indie developers would like to use external storage, I would write a driver for the USB2SERIAL adapter, and the cost of such an adapter is only $2-3 higher than that of SD2SERIAL

That be great as well problem is people not taking advantage of it..

For now i will release the hybrid homebrew that can use both places at once for people to use Expand on the idea just for fun..

DarkVampire295
photon blast

Post#25 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:22 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:That's pretty much it as far as i can tell as well I think!! Common it's too slow is from coders using the serial cable [ coders cable]]

I think Atomis wav conversions ports which play perfect on it not a cdr should of shown people by now that if the files are more like rom it's fast and useful

Main thing for me is being able to read from 2 sources at the same time.. Many things if you coded it for you could do it's only a benefit.. I ve rleasing my hybrid homebrew ports soon :)

Simple use DOOM with full CDDA loading levels while playing CDDA at the same time this cant be done on cdr it has to stop to load data etc

Unpacking and loading levels From both cdr and sd card at the same time

I remember Doom 4 Vanilla the problem I had was when I grabbed the chaingun I got an error saying bad sfx shutdown maybe running it off the sd card adapter will fix that I am totally sold on the SD card adapter now
Twitter @WayneBurke32

Best of luck, DV

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#26 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:20 am

megavolt85 wrote:SD serial is not very much in demand, if indie developers would like to use external storage, I would write a driver for the USB2SERIAL adapter, and the cost of such an adapter is only $2-3 higher than that of SD2SERIAL

That's the spirit! :mrgreen:
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

birdonwheels
noob

Post#27 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:18 am

I'm excited about the future of Serial Port SD homebrew! I've had a couple of DC SD adapter V2's for a while but haven't been able to get a SD card recognized by software on the Dreamcast. I was sure it was the adapter, so I ordered another... nope. The 2nd one had a loose connection to the serial port!

Gave up, until I asked Ian Micheal on Youtube for some guidance. The SDs that were tried were the following: Samsung evo (SDXC 128gb), Kingston (SDHC 32gb), Sandisk(class 2, 4GB), and Toshiba (class 4, 4GB).

The two larger cards are full-size class 10 and are in overall good health, but they could not be detected by Retrodream or Dreamshell.

The smaller cards are micro SDHC. I used to use these for my old phones. When I found them they were so dirty they wouldn't work, cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol and q-tips fixed that. Now both work for GDEMU, but only the 4GB Sandisk will be detected by RD or DS. I'd love to know if others had this issue.

Now I use it like a hdd for my Dreamcast for save storage. I can finally play Half Life 2 without dedicating a VMU for it.:mrgreen: Can't wait to play games on it.

DarkVampire295
photon blast

Post#28 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:39 pm

So I like have a question since the cdr has dreamshell how does it read the disc for the game and the sounds come from the sd card? Kinda new to that concept
Twitter @WayneBurke32

Best of luck, DV

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#29 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:49 pm

DarkVampire295 wrote:So I like have a question since the cdr has dreamshell how does it read the disc for the game and the sounds come from the sd card? Kinda new to that concept

Sounds or cdda come from the cdr not using dreamshell loader at all but fat 32 loader built into the bin

data is being read== write to the sd card/// cdda or music or adx is coming from the cdr this means reading in 2 places at once so any streaming format can play while loading data..

Cant stream cdda and load data at the same time on cdr you can with what I'm doing since all data is loaded from the sd card..

simple concpet works flawless

SD card has faster seek times data loads faster Course optimized fat32 loader ..

DarkVampire295
photon blast

Post#30 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:35 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
DarkVampire295 wrote:So I like have a question since the cdr has dreamshell how does it read the disc for the game and the sounds come from the sd card? Kinda new to that concept

Sounds or cdda come from the cdr not using dreamshell loader at all but fat 32 loader built into the bin

data is being read== write to the sd card/// cdda or music or adx is coming from the cdr this means reading in 2 places at once so any streaming format can play while loading data..

Cant stream cdda and load data at the same time on cdr you can with what I'm doing since all data is loaded from the sd card..

simple concpet works flawless

SD card has faster seek times data loads faster Course optimized fat32 loader ..

so drag the bin on the sd card and boot the game on the cdr and it will be 2 places at once that is awesome
Twitter @WayneBurke32

Best of luck, DV