Dreamcast RGB list *WIP*

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
DisasterMo
shadow

Re: Dreamcast RGB list *WIP*

Post#11 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:54 pm

Hi, I would like to offer my help with this, though my set-up might be considered 'suboptimal':

I have a PAL Dreamcast with Terraonion's MODE. I can already confirm, though, that 'Vampire Chronicle' and 'Sengoku Turb - Fanfan I Love me Dunce-doublentendre' (what a name) show the exact same issues as described by ufdm.
I can, however, also confirm that some NTSC games, like EGG, will just not run on my device due to it being PAL (despite MODE's region patching).

So, here's what I can do and provide:
- play NTSC ReDump verified game dumps on my PAL Dreamcast with SCART RGB cable on a 100 Hz CRT
- should issues arise, I would start them up again with a composite cable
- should the issue be solved, I will submit the game as likely having issues with RGB - should the issue persist it likely means the game has extra copy protection/region locking mechanisms (or just maybe some bug?) causing the issue on PAL devices

I will, of course, adjust MODE's settings to be as close to og hardware as possible (accurate GD timings and such) and first verify, if I can reproduce everything found here so far. Despite that, my results will still be 'uncertain' or 'MODE specific', due to my set-up.

Will you still accept my findings?

DisasterMo
shadow

Post#12 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:45 pm

Hi again!
It's a shame that I did not receive any answers, but I went ahead and collected data as I described above, and then some, for US releases.
I am still in the process of cleaning it up and looking for patches for the games, but here is the current list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... le/pubhtml

If anyone knows a better way of sharing this, please let me know!

Londinium
dirty sailor

Post#13 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:05 pm

DisasterMo wrote:Hi again!
It's a shame that I did not receive any answers, but I went ahead and collected data as I described above, and then some, for US releases.
I am still in the process of cleaning it up and looking for patches for the games, but here is the current list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... le/pubhtml

If anyone knows a better way of sharing this, please let me know!

You could probably get a few more views from posting it on the Discord from people who didn't read this thread
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

DisasterMo
shadow

Post#14 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:34 pm

Oh, there is a Discord? Where can I find a link?

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#15 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:22 pm

DisasterMo wrote:Hi, I would like to offer my help with this, though my set-up might be considered 'suboptimal':

I have a PAL Dreamcast with Terraonion's MODE. I can already confirm, though, that 'Vampire Chronicle' and 'Sengoku Turb - Fanfan I Love me Dunce-doublentendre' (what a name) show the exact same issues as described by ufdm.
I can, however, also confirm that some NTSC games, like EGG, will just not run on my device due to it being PAL (despite MODE's region patching).

So, here's what I can do and provide:
- play NTSC ReDump verified game dumps on my PAL Dreamcast with SCART RGB cable on a 100 Hz CRT
- should issues arise, I would start them up again with a composite cable
- should the issue be solved, I will submit the game as likely having issues with RGB - should the issue persist it likely means the game has extra copy protection/region locking mechanisms (or just maybe some bug?) causing the issue on PAL devices

I will, of course, adjust MODE's settings to be as close to og hardware as possible (accurate GD timings and such) and first verify, if I can reproduce everything found here so far. Despite that, my results will still be 'uncertain' or 'MODE specific', due to my set-up.

Will you still accept my findings?

Hey man, I seem to completely have missed your post (as it sometimes happens.)
I’m not sure really, as it will always be emulation and there may always be something small that gives a false positive (or negative). I have only been testing legit discs so far and it never occurred to me that you’d actually want to try it through emulation…
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

doom900
noob

Post#16 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:38 pm

sonik wrote:Some of the non compatible games can be patched to work.
I've made some patches here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13313&p=141639#p141589

Hi, new here.
I'd love to have access to the RGB patches linked as I've recently discovered issues with certain games after setting up my Dreamcast with RGB Scart cable.

sonik
Developer

Post#17 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:28 pm

doom900 wrote:Hi, new here.
I'd love to have access to the RGB patches linked as I've recently discovered issues with certain games after setting up my Dreamcast with RGB Scart cable.

Hi!
First, welcome to the board!
Interact with some posts and you will be able to access he downloads section :)
I don't know the exact rules but should be easy to get it.
EDF! EDF! EDF!

that1crzywhtguy
shadow

Post#18 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:23 am

So glad to have found this thread as I think this should solve a problem for a friend!

CubanG
shadow

Post#19 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:01 am

Appreciate the info. I am running a US Dreamcast with RGB CSync on a NTSC RGB modded trinitron. I was able to get Alpha 3 running thru the ReviveDC distro but running into a brick wall with various distros of 3S (black screen with sound even trying to force 240p mode). This is loading off CD-Rs and I have wasted quite a few with no forward progress

I found a patch online but need to research on how to incorporate them before burning but would much prefer to find a already RGB patched release for simplicity

Anyways I appreciate the knowledge and will be reading and learning as much as I can from this forum

CubanG
shadow

Post#20 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:25 am

Wanted to post the solution I found online to fix the black screen when using RGB on 3rd Strike. It's a hex edit and i assume it works on any 3rd strike distro however the particular one I used was ReviveDC 3rd Strike Arcade Edition

Not sure if linking to other forums is OK or not but wanted to give credit to the source

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic ... 9bc62432c1

I'm not good with forums so I will copy and paste it on here as well

Posted by dmauro

Important Note:
If you're doing this mod, there's a good chance you're looking to play SFIII Third Strike in 240p, but the American and Japanese versions have some sort of video protection that won't allow the game to run in RGB mode on a PAL console. You will simply boot into a black screen without applying this patch to the disc image:

1) look for
09 00 09 00 09 00 09 00 09 00 30 88 07 89 06 A0 09
replace it with
07 89 32 88 07 89 33 88 07 89 30 88 07 89 06 A0 09

2) look for
00 E0 00 E0 04 7F 26 4F 0B 00
replace it with
02 E0 00 E0 04 7F 26 4F 0B 00

3) look for
30 E0 02 2E 00 E0 26 4F 0B 00 F6 6E
replace it with
4C 84 02 2E 00 E0 26 4F 0B 00 F6 6E