Let's speculate on Sega's future based off recent announcements

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dubcity
Super Sonic

Let's speculate on Sega's future based off recent announcements

Post#1 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:03 pm

Sega and Microsoft recently announced a partnership November 2021
https://www.sega.co.jp/en/release/211101_1.html

Interesting that these two are partnering up again continuing a long relationship. There has been speculation for years now that MS would attempt to buy Sega as third party. Probably will not happen ever. But it's nice to see they like working together still. A quote from this article:
The alliance would form a key part of SEGA’s mid to long-term strategy, allowing the business to move forward with “Super Game”, a new initiative for developing new and innovative titles where the key focuses are “Global”, “Online”, “Community” and “IP utilization”.
With the world now more connected than ever following the widespread deployment of 5G and cloud services in recent years, consumers can more easily enjoy high-quality entertainment content at any time.

5G would mean wireless and mobile networks. So they are looking to make games that are global and work on fast wireless networks.
One of the ways they could showcase this is with a Virtua Fighter.

Maximillian Dood put together that Sega is going to make a VF 6

As he states in the video that each iteration of VF has been some type of technical achievement. VF 5 Showdown has been a successful test for them on PS network. He makes a plea for better netcode and online capabilities. Worldwide online Microsoft azure cloud based net code utilizing 5G networks would be a tech achievement. Would make for interesting fighting tournaments. Especially when you throw in Sega's idea to make arcade cabinets online using a wireless antenna solution.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/sega-wants-t ... e-cabinets

So we could see a version of VF 6 that supports esports but has online cross play capability to play anyone in the world whether you are in Japanese arcade, using gamepass on your phone or PS 5 network at home. What do you all think? Am I off the mark? Do you think Sega has the balls to do it? What else do you think could be in Sega's future with these developments?

anti
lithium

Re: Let's speculate on Sega's future based off recent announcements

Post#2 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:29 pm

I’m concerned that this means less multi platform games in the future. I don’t want to have to buy an Xbox for the next Yakuza when I already have a PS5

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#3 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:16 pm

VF 5 showdown was exclusive to PS network. And Sega has dropped most of its games on PS first for years. I doubt they are going xbox exclusive with Yakuza.

azoo
rebel

Post#4 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:21 pm

It seems bad to make it where there are less multiplatform titles, but if Sega were to EVER be bought by Microsoft (fat chance), their games would at least also launch on PC without a hitch, since MS does that with their own first party releases.

And most of Sega's biggest selling games either in Japan (Sakura Wars, etc) or family content (Sonic, Monkey Ball) would easily land on Switch or whatever Nintendo offers in the future, since MS doesn't view them as a competitor.

Basically, it'd only be a true negative if you were a Sony fan. lol

Xiden
Developer

Post#5 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:54 pm

If they learn anything from Microsoft, hopefully it will be that putting the Sega of America in charge of USA decisions, same with SOE with EU. Sega of Japan has crippled the company in my opinion with their abysmal decision making. They know the Japanese market, but they don't understand anything outside of Japan. My two cents on the situation....

Londinium
dirty sailor

Post#6 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:21 am

To quote Otto Von Bismarck:

'I am firmly convinced that Spain is the strongest country of the world. Century after century trying to destroy herself and still no success'

Switch it around a bit...

'I am firmly convinced that Sega is the strongest game company in the world. Decade after decade trying to destroy herself and still no success'

~That fucking idiot Londinium
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#7 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:52 am

Londinium wrote:To quote Otto Von Bismarck:

'I am firmly convinced that Spain is the strongest country of the world. Century after century trying to destroy herself and still no success'

Switch it around a bit...

'I am firmly convinced that Sega is the strongest game company in the world. Decade after decade trying to destroy herself and still no success'

~That fucking idiot Londinium

LMAO