Dreamcast Email PSA: Google will be ending "Less secure apps" option [SOLVED]

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Xiden
Developer

Dreamcast Email PSA: Google will be ending "Less secure apps" option [SOLVED]

Post#1 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:28 pm

Hey all,

For those who are taking advantage of Shu's gmail program... on May 30th, Google will disable the ability to use less secure apps.

I have found a fix that will allow you to keep using your gmail account however. I've also managed to get Yahoo email working as a backup incase we ever need to switch over (I'll update here with a script)

Step 1: Go to your Gmail accounts security settings
step1.png

Step 2: Setup 2-Step Verification, when prompt make sure you select you want to use Text Message or Phone Call for 2FA and NOT use Phone App or App Passwords function will not be available!
step2.png

Step 3: Click App Passwords, on the drop down for select app just select "Other", then click Generate. You should get a window as seen below with a custom generated password. (Obviously this isnt the one I'm using for my account :lol: )
step3.png

Step 4: Rerun Shu's dcgmail.sh program. I recommend just using PuTTY to login to your pi from windows, I believe a Mac version exists as well.
Follow PCWzrds guide on the install process if you need help https://dreamcastlive.net/sega-swirl-guide/
The only difference is this time make sure you enter the app password given by Gmail as your password, and not your real gmail password.

You're all done. A quick and easy process!
Last edited by Xiden on Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retro-45
letterbomb

Re: Dreamcast Email PSA: Google will be ending "Less secure apps" option

Post#2 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:15 pm

Not sure if the email provider will work but I found one called protonmail. Could this work? Or could the dreampi image be modified for a wide range of email, but not sure how easy it would be to incorporate.

Sure does suck that they are doing this, I mean sure I understand that they don't want people’s emails getting hacked but should it be a choice if you want to use your email on a less secure platform.
Last edited by Retro-45 on Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:45 pm

Retro-45 wrote:Not sure if the email provider will work but I found one called protonmail. Could this work? Or could the dreampi image be modified for a wide range of email, but not sure how easy it would be to incorporate.

Sure does suck that they are doing this, I mean sure I understand that they don't want people’s emails getting hacked but should it be a choice if you want to use your email on a less secure platform.
apologies for the rant

Good news it appears yahoo mail will work as an alternative. The only extra step on yahoo is you make a unique password to use with 3rd party apps instead of a button that just allows unsecure apps like gmail. Protonmail unfortunately does not support pop3 so it wouldn't work.

Londinium
dirty sailor

Post#4 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:51 pm

Retro-45 wrote:Not sure if the email provider will work but I found one called protonmail. Could this work? Or could the dreampi image be modified for a wide range of email, but not sure how easy it would be to incorporate.

apologies for the rant

I've used Protonmail, and I remember trying to get Thunderbird to work with it. If I remember correctly, you actually need to pay to link Thunderbird. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that'll mean we'll have to pay for this too.

Also Protonmail doesn't support Pop3
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#5 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:34 pm

Fine with me I could care less what host it is as long as messages still work. Thanks for all the hardwork Xiden!

Retro-45
letterbomb

Post#6 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:37 pm

Ok thanks @Xiden for the info

Xiden
Developer

Post#7 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:41 pm

Good news folks, we can save Gmail after all... looks like there is a work around for the Multi factor authentication for postfix. I'll post a guide here shortly. I'll probably make a yahooDC.sh script also just in case anyone in fact does want to use yahoo lol

Xiden
Developer

Re: Dreamcast Email PSA: Google will be ending "Less secure apps" option [SOLVED]

Post#8 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:00 pm

Ok updated the OP. with info on what needs to be done to keep using your gmail account (Until google decides to update security again....)

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Dreamcast Email PSA: Google will be ending "Less secure apps" option [SOLVED]

Post#9 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:20 pm

Thanks Xiden! This is a very often overlooked but very important part of Dreamcast online!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#10 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:12 am

I updated the guide on Dreamcast Live. Thanks Xiden!
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live