GDEMU Files loading issue

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SPRESCAV
noob

GDEMU Files loading issue

Post#1 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:47 pm

Hello everyone.

I've seted up my GDEMU PicoPSU and fan mod, downloaded some ISOs to run the system.
I'm using SDMaker to load the files into the SDcard. but two things happened and I can't solve my problem by my own.

1) .GDI format files are not being readed by the SDMaker (or drag and drop into a 02 folder, etc) Just reads some .CDI files...

2) After succesfully adding 5 folders with .CDI files (games run smooth), the GDEMU stops recognizing the other folders, from 05 and on.

Does anyone know what these problems are all about?

I ask all this couse I watch people doing it so easily on youtube, and the experience it's being kinda frustrating at the moment.
If someone can help I'd be very thankful.

Nicolás

ShreddieMercury
undertow

Re: GDEMU Files loading issue

Post#2 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:10 pm

Hi there.

I'm no expert here so I may not be able to help too much, but a few things come to mind.

Do you have the complete contents of the GDI files (including the .bin/.raw files) in the folder along with the .gdi file?

Are you able to organize the SD contents without using SDMaker? For example, I've loaded all of my GDEMU files on a Mac without using a program. I'm not certain exactly how this would work on a Windows machine, but I'm curious if this particular program is causing this issue.

Does the GDEMU recognize the folders, but just think they're empty? Or do you just not see anything past folder 05?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:15 pm

Try this software it's the recommended, also works on Mac and Linux https://github.com/sonik-br/GDMENUCardManager

SG6K
rebel

Post#4 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:00 am

There's a tool called GDIDROP which converts GDEMU-unfriendly Redump dumps to GDEMU-friendly ones, if it turns out you're using DC images in the bin/cue format.

manousos82003
noob

Post#5 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:32 am

Propably two reasons, don't use sd card maker, it's outdated, check if GDemu makes good connection on gdrom pins....5.15 for some reason doesn't stay in its place if you move your Dreamcast....

charliejone
noob

Post#6 » Tue May 16, 2023 4:55 am

I think you have experienced an Issue with .GDI format files. SDMaker and other software tools may have limitations or compatibility issues when it comes to reading certain file formats. While .CDI files are more commonly used for Dreamcast games, it's possible that the SDMaker software you're using doesn't support .GDI files. To work around this, you may need to convert your .GDI files to .CDI format using a dedicated conversion tool or search for alternative software that supports the .GDI format.

bekean
noob

Post#7 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:02 pm

If your GDEMU stops recognizing folders beyond a certain point (in your case, after folder 05), it could potentially be due to a file system limitation or the way the folders are organized. The GDEMU's firmware might have restrictions on the number of files or folders it can read from a single directory.