Grandia 2 widescreen + 60fps question

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
VirtuaShenmue
fire

Grandia 2 widescreen + 60fps question

Post#1 » Tue May 10, 2022 4:17 pm

I'm trying to use a widescreen code (codebreaker) with Grandia 2 US version.
I noticed that the codebreaker code are somewhat glitchy, especially on the camera (zoom issues during exploration and cutscene)
Also the 60fps code crash the game.

The code are for the pal version, so I'm forcing it in the US version, i need someone that can confirm if that is the problem or not.

I found this video:

and here everything works perfectly. But it doesn't says if it's a codebreaker code or a Iso patch.
Last edited by VirtuaShenmue on Tue May 10, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VirtuaShenmue
fire

Re: Grandia 2 widescreen + 60fps question

Post#2 » Tue May 10, 2022 4:23 pm

forgot to mention the codebreaker code I'm using, in case someone wants to try:

60 fps:

02300010 00140000
or
02300010 00041400

(both crash the system)

overworld wide (issues with zoom):

023FB91C 3FA66666
023FB8E0 3F400000

battle wide (fine but there is clipping):

02225F8C 3F400000
02225F5C 43F00000

FMV wide (totally breaks the FMV):

0225068C 39F00000
022506AC 39F00000
022506CC 43F00000
022506EC 43F00000

MondoGecko
minority

Post#3 » Wed May 11, 2022 10:18 am

Codebreaker codes or any sort of ISO patch are effectively the same things, they both manipulate hex values to achieve their desired result. Have you tried asking the YouTuber who posted the video how he accomplished this? Just thinking out loud here, but I'm wondering if he's using an overclocked Dreamcast or if the codes were modified in some way to specifically account for original hardware.
If you can find the codes in another format, like GameShark, RAW, etc., those would probably be worth trying too. Sometimes these code formats can end up having unpredictable results so it's worth trying whatever code format you can find if you're experiencing the types of issues you're describing here.

VirtuaShenmue
fire

Post#4 » Wed May 11, 2022 11:24 am

I found a widescreen code for the japanese version of Grandia 2, always for codebreaker/action replay, but it doesn't seems to work on a US copy.

Knowing that all these codes originated from the old Assembler Games forum, they were made for both stock Dreamcast and emulation, unlikely it would be for overclocked consoles.

MondoGecko
minority

Post#5 » Wed May 11, 2022 7:59 pm

Yeah, it's most likely a region issue then. There are definitely going to be differences across regional releases, meaning there are going to be differences in hex values, so codes that work on a European or Japanese releases aren't very likely to work on a NA release. Unless you can find codes specific to the NTSC-U version of the game, or if you're unwilling to use the other region's versions, I don't think you're getting this in widescreen + 60fps. At least not unless someone more familiar with hex editing and writing codes can figure out exactly what changes the NTSC-U version needs. It's clearly possible but is going to require a little know-how and experimentation, I think.

VirtuaShenmue
fire

Post#6 » Fri May 13, 2022 3:58 pm

yeah, different version of the same game (Pal, US, JP) should have different hex value, so I admit it's strange that some of these code can be forced to work on a different version without crashing the console.

But for now I'm searching for someone to confirm if those codes, used on a PAL version of Grandia 2, give the same optimal results of the video in the first post.