Maken X Pal version on VGA

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
VirtuaShenmue
fire

Maken X Pal version on VGA

Post#1 » Sun May 15, 2022 9:38 am

Hello
I need a simple info:

The PAL european version of Maken X has some issues (sound synch etc.) while running in VGA?
Thank you

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: Maken X Pal version on VGA

Post#2 » Sun May 15, 2022 4:34 pm

Never heard of that. but not totally sure.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#3 » Sun May 15, 2022 5:44 pm

Played through it over a decade ago and I can’t seem to remember any audio issues
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

VirtuaShenmue
fire

Post#4 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:12 am

VirtuaShenmue
fire

Post#5 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:20 pm

for the records, I was finally able to test the Pal version in VGA:

It works almost fine, but there are some issues with cutscenes, where a few voice dialogues are skipped too soon.
Also there is a graphical glitch in the first FMV video at the end of first mission.

I wonder if these VGA issue could be addressed with a codebreaker code...

MondoGecko
minority

Post#6 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:08 pm

VirtuaShenmue wrote:for the records, I was finally able to test the Pal version in VGA:

It works almost fine, but there are some issues with cutscenes, where a few voice dialogues are skipped too soon.
Also there is a graphical glitch in the first FMV video at the end of first mission.

It's almost certainly an issue of the game being timed for 50hz and being played at 60hz through VGA. I'm assuming fixing it with a code should be possible, but why not just play the NTSC version at that point?

VirtuaShenmue
fire

Post#7 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:37 pm

MondoGecko wrote:
VirtuaShenmue wrote:for the records, I was finally able to test the Pal version in VGA:

It's almost certainly an issue of the game being timed for 50hz and being played at 60hz through VGA. I'm assuming fixing it with a code should be possible, but why not just play the NTSC version at that point?

Yeah it seems a timing issue since it's a 50Hz pal game.

Buying the ntsc version would be easier, but solving this issue could be better for those who want to play the original Pal version in VGA.
Anyone has any experience with timing codes for Codebreaker?

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#8 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:38 pm

I guess the easier issue is to patch the audio file.

VirtuaShenmue
fire

Post#9 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:16 am

I don't know if patching the audio alone could solve the issue.
The game seems to be a little faster than normal, so some scene would still play a little too fast.

In my opinion it would be simpler to find the right address with a code breaker code and revert back the game timing speed to the original "50" or the equivalent value.

Problem is: how can I find the correct address?

SpaceHoliday
dark night

Post#10 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:28 am

Just chiming in half a year later to say this exact issue happened to me. Other than that, the gameplay itself was fine.
Visit The Dreamcast Junkyard: http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk