Dreamcast Beta Confirm / Debunk List

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SparkThaMetal
dark night
Dreamcast Games you play Online: none at present

Re: Dreamcast Beta Confirm / Debunk List

Post by SparkThaMetal »

Do we know if any of the games that sega cancelled and ported were running on dc first? Stuff like jsrf, sega gt 2002, panzer dragoon orta, virtua tennis 3, crazy taxi 3, Virtua fighter 4, billy hatchet etc etc. Wasnt Gun Valkyie meant to be Dc originally and use lightgun and pad at same time?

colgate
Doom
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO

Post by colgate »

Gun Valkyrie was supposed to be running on DC back then.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

cloofoofoo
Crazy Taxi!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO-SCHtACK

Post by cloofoofoo »

colgate wrote:Gun Valkyrie was supposed to be running on DC back then.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Gunvalkyrie was shown in motion for dc for a few seconds on dc during the greatest range on earth , its been said many times now. The dc version was then expanded and upgraded where it became a tech demo offered to show how powerful pentium4 sse instructions were. This tech demo was often passed off by smilebit as the xbox version which in actuality is very different.

Dreamcast version shown in motion:

Pentium4 tech demo( upgraded dreamcast version, this video probably one most complete pc version but passed off as xbox):

Loloretro
chill
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Nothings

Post by Loloretro »

Gun Valkyrie (Smilebit / SEGA)

"No prototype version has been tested by Sega of America. The game did not cross the borders of Japan if a beta version existed. (source, a former Sega Us employee)"

Loloretro
chill

Post by Loloretro »

Outcast (Appeal / Infogrames)

"I take this opportunity to confirm that Outlcast dreamcast had not started. The reason was that the ps2 was positioned as the market leader when the devs were about to start. above"

According to from the sources of "Rollon de Tressaille" , the reason for its cancellation is different. "After various tests, the game was too heavy for the dream to run. The problem was that the title used vectors for 3d which allowed huge maps. At the calculation level, it was complicated"

Loloretro
chill

Post by Loloretro »

Skies (Paradigm / SegaSoft)

"I don't think it was intended for the Dreamcast, mainly because the currency used in the game was probably too close to the game for SEGA at the time. Also, the PC version was boxed before the launch of the Dreamcast, which probably means it was never really a candidate for the system" ( dreamcastcollector credit)

Loloretro
chill

Post by Loloretro »

Loloretro
chill

Post by Loloretro »

Another interesting point, Funcom had a Dreamcast dev kit that they used to store elements of Anarchy Online including photos of the PC beta test version.

So they must have worked on a Dreamcast project

Loloretro
chill

Post by Loloretro »

My list of cancelled games with information I could get from developers or other people

https://en.sega-dreamcast-info-games-pr ... -dreamcast

I'll update it with pcwzrd13's information, he did a great job researching it.

cloofoofoo
Crazy Taxi!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO-SCHtACK

Post by cloofoofoo »

Loloretro wrote:Gun Valkyrie (Smilebit / SEGA)

"No prototype version has been tested by Sega of America. The game did not cross the borders of Japan if a beta version existed. (source, a former Sega Us employee)"
Yeah thats no suprise, the dc version was not finished in japan when they switched platform. The one version that was actually shown off in public was the intel pentium 4 version shown on the intel event, it still has the dreamcast aesthetic and gameplay intact,unfortunately no complete video exist of it other than finding that they used partd of it in the xbox trailers.
https://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/318/318450/