Favourite Peripherals?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
OlivusPrime
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Alien Front
ChuChu Rocket
Daytona USA
F355 Challenge
Maximum Pool
POD 2
Quake III
Racing Sim 2
Worms

Favourite Peripherals?

Post by OlivusPrime »

Despite its short lifespan, the Dreamcast ultimately had an impressive range of peripherals released for it - everything from fighting pads and racing wheels to fishing rods and maracas.

The question is, do you have a favourite peripheral - for example, one that you find improves your gameplay experience, or just makes for a fun and novel time?

(This topic is more inclined towards controllers and accessories rather than the VMU, but if you feel particularly strongly about the VMU, or you have a curious alternative to it that you enjoy, fire away!)

I've recently gotten the ASCII fighting pad to play the Gens4Dreams emulator, and it makes for a great and authentic experience. Playing with the regular pad was okay, but many know that its d-pad isn't particularly optimal. The ASCII pad on the other hand has some great digital buttons, and feels pretty close to a Mega Drive or Saturn pad for that classic feel.

Anyone who's seen my recent racing wheel posts will also know that I'm on the hunt for an elusive (impossible?) great Dreamcast racing wheel! The Thrustmaster Ferrari wasn't up to snuff but I've recently ordered the official/Agetec Racing Controller, and I'm looking into performing the Benryves mod to remove the deadzone. I'm hoping this will result in the most enjoyable way to play the Dreamcast's brilliant racing library.
Londinium
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: I'm up for anything

Re: Favourite Peripherals?

Post by Londinium »

Dreamcast fleshlight
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DCGX
Vagabond

Post by DCGX »

I guess the question is: is most used and favorite the same thing?

Outside of the standard DC controller (and VMU), my most used and therefore favorite accessory is the official arcade stick. With the glut of shooters and fighting games, even retro games on compilations the DC has, it's a must own.

But, if I separate favorite from most used, it might be the official DC Twin Stick, if anything because it has been really embraced by indie devs in recent years. Game like 'Xenocider' and 'Xeno Crisis' play best on Dreamcast with the Twin Stick in my opinion.

A special shout out to the ASCII Flight controller though. It really does make flight games way more enjoyable, and is definitely the way to play (most) flight games on the DC.
OlivusPrime
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Alien Front
ChuChu Rocket
Daytona USA
F355 Challenge
Maximum Pool
POD 2
Quake III
Racing Sim 2
Worms

Post by OlivusPrime »

Londinium wrote:Dreamcast fleshlight
Does it have a VM slot for the Vibration Pack?
DCGX wrote:I guess the question is: is most used and favorite the same thing?

Outside of the standard DC controller (and VMU), my most used and therefore favorite accessory is the official arcade stick. With the glut of shooters and fighting games, even retro games on compilations the DC has, it's a must own.

But, if I separate favorite from most used, it might be the official DC Twin Stick, if anything because it has been really embraced by indie devs in recent years. Game like 'Xenocider' and 'Xeno Crisis' play best on Dreamcast with the Twin Stick in my opinion.

A special shout out to the ASCII Flight controller though. It really does make flight games way more enjoyable, and is definitely the way to play (most) flight games on the DC.
You make a good point about most used/favourite - I often point out the same thing when people are discussing best/favourite.

The arcade stick definitely looks cool, and seems really popular! I might have a play with MAME and see if it would be worth getting one for that. The flight stick is tempting too, though I'll need to see how many flight games I ultimately end up owning.
DCGX
Vagabond

Post by DCGX »

If you're used to sticks with softer/less travel like Hayabusa, it'll be a an adjustment. The official stick is definitely more like Sanwa and Happ.

There's quite a few flight games, so it made the price (when I bought it) of the ASCII flight stick worth it. 'Airforce Delta,' the 'Aerowings'/'Aero Dancing' series (with a couple Japanese only releases) and 'Iron Aces.' I never tried it with 'Propeller Arena' though. I need to do that.
Londinium
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: I'm up for anything

Post by Londinium »

OlivusPrime wrote:
Londinium wrote:Dreamcast fleshlight
Does it have a VM slot for the Vibration Pack?
Yes, and it's absolutely necessary for the peripheral. Experience is worse without it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
beanboy
Wazza
Dreamcast Games you play Online: I haven't played any dreamcast games online yet.
But I'm planning to do so soon.

Post by beanboy »

The official dreamcast arcade stick and the maracas.
mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Post by mazonemayu »

You should try playing Armada with the flight controller, it feels like the game was made with its layout in mind
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here
DCGX
Vagabond

Post by DCGX »

mazonemayu wrote:

You should try playing Armada with the flight controller, it feels like the game was made with its layout in mind
Oh good idea! I'll try that!
Dreamtastic
lithium

Post by Dreamtastic »

There are a lot of amazing peripherals for the DC. I would have to say the mouse i get use and my favorite has to be the Keyboard and Mouse. I still use it often for the typing games, Quake 3 and Unreal. I think out of all the peripherals that it has the most use for me personally. So many great games used them and would be very hard to play with a normal controller without one.