Lightgun Games with the Dreamcast Mouse?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
OlivusPrime
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Alien Front
ChuChu Rocket
Daytona USA
F355 Challenge
Maximum Pool
POD 2
Quake III
Racing Sim 2
Worms

Lightgun Games with the Dreamcast Mouse?

Post by OlivusPrime »

I'm currently waiting on a solution to the age-old lightgun problem (the LightGunVerter/LCD Zapper looked promising, but seems to have halted development), but in the meantime I'd like to play some lightgun games in the second-best way I can.

Does anyone know if House of the Dead 2, Virtua Cop 2, Confidential Mission etc. are compatible with the Dreamcast Mouse? I've had very good experiences using the PlayStation Mouse with Die Hard Trilogy, so I'm hoping the same might apply to the Dreamcast's lightgun catalogue.

Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Re: Lightgun Games with the Dreamcast Mouse?

Post by Xiden »

I dont think so but there is another option https://www.dreammods.net/lightconn.html

Talked with lightgunverter guy, hes been working on a new revision but chip shortage has halted progress. I do have one of his first run products and it works good just needs some fine tuning.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post by DCGX »

I know 'Confidential Mission' is compatible with the mouse. I never tried 'Virtua Cop 2' but I would imagine so. 'Silent Scope' is. In fact, the DC mouse is my preferred way to play Dreamcast light gun games, since I don't have a CRT.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Alien Front
ChuChu Rocket
Daytona USA
F355 Challenge
Maximum Pool
POD 2
Quake III
Racing Sim 2
Worms

Post by OlivusPrime »

Xiden wrote:I dont think so but there is another option https://www.dreammods.net/lightconn.html

Talked with lightgunverter guy, hes been working on a new revision but chip shortage has halted progress. I do have one of his first run products and it works good just needs some fine tuning.
I had seen the Lightconn - seems really cool but I can't quite justify spending €200 on a gun that will only be compatible with the Dreamcast. I had my fingers crossed for a universal solution that I can also use with the PS1. Good to know the LightGunVerter isn't quite dead, I didn't get a response when I contacted him recently.
DCGX wrote:I know 'Confidential Mission' is compatible with the mouse. I never tried 'Virtua Cop 2' but I would imagine so. 'Silent Scope' is. In fact, the DC mouse is my preferred way to play Dreamcast light gun games, since I don't have a CRT.
Thanks for confirming Confidential Mission and Silent Scope, it's looking very likely that I'll be getting a mouse now, so hopefully I can test House of the Dead 2 and Virtua Cop 2 via SD/CD-R before buying them proper.

Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Post by Xiden »

OlivusPrime wrote:
Xiden wrote:I dont think so but there is another option https://www.dreammods.net/lightconn.html

I had seen the Lightconn - seems really cool but I can't quite justify spending €200 on a gun that will only be compatible with the Dreamcast. I had my fingers crossed for a universal solution that I can also use with the PS1. Good to know the LightGunVerter isn't quite dead, I didn't get a response when I contacted him recently.
DCGX wrote:I know 'Confidential Mission' is compatible with the mouse. I never tried 'Virtua Cop 2' but I would imagine so. 'Silent Scope' is. In fact, the DC mouse is my preferred way to play Dreamcast light gun games, since I don't have a CRT.
Thanks for confirming Confidential Mission and Silent Scope, it's looking very likely that I'll be getting a mouse now, so hopefully I can test House of the Dead 2 and Virtua Cop 2 via SD/CD-R before buying them proper.
Best place to follow up on Lightgunverter is here https://github.com/charcole/LCDZapper/issues/1 - Occasionally I'll ping him there to see if anything is new :)

sonik
Developer

Post by sonik »

Plus: Mouse works on Rez and it's a joy to play this way.
And keep an eye on the GUN4IR project. It's a lightgun for modern displays. Currently it outputs as a USB device but the dev is working on adding real console output for it.
EDF! EDF! EDF!

Horganism
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Haven't got my DC online yet!

Post by Horganism »

Just on the topic of Silent Scope - it doesn't even seem to be lightgun compatible. Am I wrong? I love me some Trinitron Lightgunning.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post by DCGX »

Horganism wrote:
Just on the topic of Silent Scope - it doesn't even seem to be lightgun compatible. Am I wrong? I love me some Trinitron Lightgunning.
I never had a light gun to test, but from what I've read, no it's never been compatible with the light gun.

sonik
Developer

Post by sonik »

Silent Scope does not support lightgun in any console port. Mouse is the best way to play it on dreamcast.
On the arcade the gun have a secondary screen on it's scope.
EDF! EDF! EDF!

DCGX
Vagabond

Post by DCGX »

sonik wrote:Silent Scope does not support lightgun in any console port. Mouse is the best way to play it on dreamcast.
On the arcade the gun have a secondary screen on it's scope.
Not any console port. The Xbox actually had a light gun specifically designed for 'Silent Scope Complete' called the Light Rifle by Pelican. I'm guessing the Mad Catz light gun would work with 'Silent Scope Complete' too.