King of Route 66; what Dreamcast 2 could have been like

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Vgesoterica
Rank 9
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star / Bomberman

King of Route 66; what Dreamcast 2 could have been like

Post by Vgesoterica »

I dont think NAOMI 2 gets enough credit as "Dreamcast 2"...but wow do I wish Sega had brought this home to keep competing with PS2
dark
Shark Patrol

Re: King of Route 66; what Dreamcast 2 could have been like

Post by dark »

I remember an interview with a sega honcho who indicated sega, like all game console developers, had already begun considering designs for its dreamcast successor console early in the dreamcast lifespan. While no specs of that successor design have ever come out, it might not be a huge leap to consider it might have been similar to the Naomi 2.
xaeroxcore
fire

Post by xaeroxcore »

King of the Route 66 could have ran on DC with enough downgrades. Is not a Naomi 2 powerhouse, as Virtua Fighter 4
cbx
shadow

Post by cbx »

I believe just adding more RAM and a compatible successor of the GPU would have done miracles. After three to for years on the market, they could have upgraded the Dreamcast just like a PC with virtual no development costs and perfect backwards compatibility.

GPUs were advancing pretty fast in the early 2000s but stay mostly compatible to predecessors and simply add more texture RAM, higher resolutions, more polygons per second etc. Nothing that would require different programming but unlock more resources to have more detailed objects and bigger levels.

Also the GDROM was a bad decision. Most games hardly fill a CD-ROM. CD- and DVD drives would become dirt cheap and even bluray drives are backwards compatible with CDs and DVDs although they use a second laser unit for this. GDROMs would forever stay proprietary and therefore more expensive.

King of the Route 66 looks basically like a cross of 18 Wheeler and Crazy Taxi. Probably a very arcadey fun game but nothing that couldn't run on a Dreamcast.
cloofoofoo
Crazy Taxi!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO-SCHtACK

Post by cloofoofoo »

cbx wrote:I believe just adding more RAM and a compatible successor of the GPU would have done miracles. After three to for years on the market, they could have upgraded the Dreamcast just like a PC with virtual no development costs and perfect backwards compatibility.

GPUs were advancing pretty fast in the early 2000s but stay mostly compatible to predecessors and simply add more texture RAM, higher resolutions, more polygons per second etc. Nothing that would require different programming but unlock more resources to have more detailed objects and bigger levels.

Also the GDROM was a bad decision. Most games hardly fill a CD-ROM. CD- and DVD drives would become dirt cheap and even bluray drives are backwards compatible with CDs and DVDs although they use a second laser unit for this. GDROMs would forever stay proprietary and therefore more expensive.

King of the Route 66 looks basically like a cross of 18 Wheeler and Crazy Taxi. Probably a very arcadey fun game but nothing that couldn't run on a Dreamcast.
Hmm it's a bit more difficult than that. Naomi 2 has much more memory and even a separate pool for the tnl processor it has. Also 2 of the same gpu the DC has. Also the tnl chip does 5 million polygons and up per second with 6 light sources. It's definitely gonna require a major conversion for DC use. I think looking at psp initial d port should give you and idea of naomi2 to DC conversions.