MSR a re-appreciation

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Cass
MegaDeath

MSR a re-appreciation

Post#1 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:09 pm

Gave MSR another go over Easter. Last played through the game when I picked it up on release back in the day but have never went back to it until now. Three races away from completion - almost there.

I can remember being frustrated by some quirks, unequal difficulty and winning cars that weren't up to much - and I re-remembered and re-experienced those issues on this playthrough including my inability to make out where I'm going on some of the Tokyo sections.

That said it's a fantastic and truly ground breaking game and even noticed a few new things this time round. Would have been amazing if it had full online play but you can't have everything.
Attachments
IMG_20230401_131326.jpg

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: MSR a re-appreciation

Post#2 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:37 pm

I played through it for the first time around 2012. Really rewarding if you can slog through the beginning stages, which aren't that much fun. Once you get some neat cars and neat tracks, this game has some real high moments. I remember just pausing the game, looking at the graphics and being very impressed that it was a dreamcast game.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#3 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:49 pm

I love racing games and I was ready to fall in love with this game, but as much as I can understand the widespread appreciation for it, I didn't quite get into it when I tried it for the first time this year.

It's a case where, even though I appreciate all the added bells and whistles that make it ahead of the time, like the accurate time of day and amazing city recreations, I just can't get past the fact that I don't enjoy the core gameplay as much as I'd like to. In terms of simulation/arcade hybrids on the Dreamcast, I get a lot more enjoyment from Le Mans 24 Hours.

Like I say though, I totally get why many consider this a classic in the genre.

CrashMidnick
blackout!

Post#4 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:06 pm

Except 2 or 3 challenge races (takeover) that prevent you to finish a given chapter because the best car you have is not powerful enough, this game is amazing. On my side I think it is a perfect mix between arcade and simulation, you really feel the difference when you drive RWD, AWD or FWD cars. You will do some epic drifts :)

The only thing I do not like is how opponents cheat in the last lap on pretty much all tracks, it is like they have a V12 hidden in their 4/8 cylinders cars. In straight lines you look more at what is it behind you than what it is in front of you even if you're doing a perfect lap with a more poweful car...

Le Mans 24 hours remains the best racing game on the DC in terms of driving feeling but it does not have the sound track, the fun, polished menus, the number of tracks and other things that MSR has. Those two games are complementary.

Sega GT was really bad IMHO, but I never used a steering wheel. Some people says that it is good with it. Last week I took a save from the Internet to have all cars and even with the best one it does not feel right. It is like you are driving a truck. Thanks to Bleem, we had GT2.

My 2 cents.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#5 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:45 pm

Le Man's is the top racer on DC for me. I love f355 as well but MSR is a special game in its own right. I got to enjoy its quirks this time around and use them to my advantage. You can cheat just like the AI cars. Cornering on the London tracks aim for the concrete crash barriers and you'll bounce right off at around 60 mph - hit the railings and you'll almost stop dead stop on a sharp corner. Most satisfying part of the game is when you nudge one of the other cars into a traffic Island or barrier to claim first place on a race you should never have won. That said I feel if they'd removed or even given an option to remove the crash barriers and traffic Islands in the middle of the roads it would have opened the tracks up more given and added to the playability.

rjay63
Beats of Rage

Post#6 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:19 am

Oh look, an MSR topic! :lol:

I like MSR for its time trial/ghost attack modes rather than the kudos system. Somewhat ironic as the game was designed to get away from that kind of standard racing fare. MSR also has very unique and simpler handling compared to the later PGR titles (that have more complex, but somewhat 'standard' driving physics). Here's a couple of videos I made showing the clear physics difference between MSR and PGR.

My Metropolis Street Racer Blog: http://www.msrdreamcast.blogspot.com
MSR ghosts/time trials and official DLC: https://www.dreamcastlive.net/metropoli ... r-dlc.html

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#7 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:02 am

rjay63 wrote:Oh look, an MSR topic! :lol:

I like MSR for its time trial/ghost attack modes rather than the kudos system. Somewhat ironic as the game was designed to get away from that kind of standard racing fare. MSR also has very unique and simpler handling compared to the later PGR titles (that have more complex, but somewhat 'standard' driving physics). Here's a couple of videos I made showing the clear physics difference between MSR and PGR.

I watched some you MSR videos over recent weeks my - great content. Even picked up a few tips along the way ;)

Analogue Sheep
noob

Post#8 » Mon May 08, 2023 9:25 am

I need to give MSR a proper shot, seeing as I used to play PGR 2 on the OG Xbox and PGR 4 on the Xbox 360 quite a bit. I've only really done a few quick races, but it's still impressive seeing what they were going for back then. Also the menu music is a banger.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Mon May 08, 2023 12:13 pm

I don't know for the life of me upon re-visiting I cannot MT find the manual shift option no more

CrashMidnick
blackout!

Post#10 » Mon May 08, 2023 12:51 pm

I am not at home but IIRC you can select manual gear box when you « win» a car, there is an option before you validate your car options.