dead Twinstick

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
fraggle200
chill

dead Twinstick

Post#1 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:12 pm

I recently took my other twinstick out of storage and found that it doesn't register at all. Completely dead!

I had a quick check of the pins in the connector and they all look good. Apart from that, that's all I've had time to do so far.

When I get a chance I'll:
clean the connector pins
Open it up and see if everything is still connected
test continuity across switches
inspect the board for any corrosion/shorts

Anything else I should be aware of when dealing with a twinstick or is there anything that could be the cause?

Haven't heard of them being prone to just dying so I was surprised this one is as lifeless.

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: dead Twinstick

Post#2 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:33 pm

I bet its something to do with the cable. If a vmu doesn't even work, it's probably not anything to do with the mechanical switches or buttons. Any evidence the cable was tightly wrapped for a long time? May want to pay special attention to the area where the cable plugs into the pcb for any loose or broken connections.

fraggle200
chill

Post#3 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:09 am

dark wrote:I bet its something to do with the cable. If a vmu doesn't even work, it's probably not anything to do with the mechanical switches or buttons. Any evidence the cable was tightly wrapped for a long time? May want to pay special attention to the area where the cable plugs into the pcb for any loose or broken connections.

this all makes perfect sense. I'll have a check when I next get a look at it.

Delatorre
noob

Post#4 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:19 am

fraggle200 wrote:
dark wrote:I bet its something to do with the cable. If a vmu doesn't even work, it's probably not anything to do with the mechanical switches or buttons. Any evidence the cable was tightly wrapped for a long time? May want to pay special attention to the area where the cable plugs into the pcb for any loose or broken connections.

this all makes perfect sense. I'll have a check when I next get a look at it.

That's what you should do.

fraggle200
chill

Post#5 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:04 pm

well i eventually got round to having a proper look at it and it was just dirty contacts on the lead.

bit of IPA scrubbed inside the connector and it's working like new again!

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:58 am

Awesome, now pull out that copy of VOOT!

fraggle200
chill

Post#7 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:42 am

dark wrote:Awesome, now pull out that copy of VOOT!

I would if I wasn't playing XenoCrisis so much.