My journey to build my dream console

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
MoeFoh
Uber

Re: My journey to build my dream console

Post by MoeFoh »

Good to see you back!
The officially licensed Retro-Bit Saturn 2.4ghz wireless smoke grey controller - working with WingmanSD?
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski
Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

I thought they were compatible with the USB adapter plugged into it but the image I showed off from this video in my original post shows it working. I do know the Bluetooth versions were supposedly compatible with it natively though. I will find out soon enough though as most stuff comes in this week, but a few things I will be waiting on for up to a few weeks.

And thanks all for the warm welcome, it feels so great to be back and active in the community. This place is like my second home.
:D
MoeFoh
Uber

Post by MoeFoh »

All my 8bitdo Bluetooth controllers connect wirelessly with the WingmanSD when in SWITCH MODE. One thing to consider is the L2 & R2 triggers become digital - just like a Switch Pro controller. If I want x-input (xbox 360 wired mode) with my 8bitdo controllers, I use a Mayflash NS-2 adapter set to x-input (remember those?).

And if you have not updated your WingmanSD to the latest firmware:
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 42&t=16787

They finally have an option to disable the analog stick deadzone. :o
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski
Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

Still waiting on a few more parts to arrive, but picked up a few more items here. Am really trying to make the perfect color matching console here with my amazing attention to detail I will achieve it through frankensteining like 3 different limited edition controllers.

Grabbed this scuffed up Sega Sports controller to use for parts. It was imperative I had black wire, triggers, and start and D-pad. I still have a visually damaged black R7 controller from Japan which has a better VMU window plastic. Not greatest condition but it didn't really need to be since was being used for parts. I feel better doing this using damaged controllers for parts instead of only pristine limited edition controllers. :lol:

I just purchased this Millineum 2000 Smoke grey limited edition.

It has a fully clear officially produced bottom shell, as well as transparent black controller plug plastic to further match the overall theme! It will get the black cable and internals from sports controller to make the closest match possible. It will be easy to swap the clear plastic plug parts onto the sports controller wire.

Again the idea is to make something like this, but in my case using the smoke grey controller's front shell, black Sega sports controller buttons, internal plastic VMU slits and triggers, and of course a black PS4 thumbstick.

Additionally I purchased a clear mouse from Japan, and will do the same with the Japanese clear keyboard as well to match the overall build.

I did find some Performance branded smoke grey rumble packs too which will further make my console more matching.

And who can forget the official smoke grey VMU? I had to pick another one up before they go up any further in price.

Also great news. the latest produced console shells coming from Australia have the Windows CE decals on them silkscreend to the front so it is more official looking.
DCGX
Vagabond

Post by DCGX »

That smoke controller with the black accents looks really nice.
sirwompus
shadow

Post by sirwompus »

Very cool!
Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

DCGX wrote:That smoke controller with the black accents looks really nice.
Hell yeah it does! That was the way I always wanted mine. I know the Biohazard CV LE DC console actually has darker grey controller parts and lower console shell/controller port face plate and power and open buttons, would be cool to see those put onto this shell like I got.

I might purchase a solid black 3rd party console shell for the front controller port face plate and power and open buttons in the future to completely match the controllers theme.
OatBob
MegaDeath

Post by OatBob »

Both Yoei and Bitfunx are making an aftermarket version of this shell. I like that they molded the modem cover to match.
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

I thought I remembered seeing repro shells of the Biohazard shells early on in like 2020 or so but looked on eBay and didn;t see them inany inventories, hell I would love to just have one of those even if not a legit shell.
OatBob
MegaDeath

Post by OatBob »

Yoei shells:

Muramasa Entertainment (RE sold out)
https://www.muramasaentertainment.com/p ... ent-cases/

Castlemainia (doesn't offer anymore)

Game-tech
https://www.game-tech.us/product/dreamcast-case/

... and there's this one. The blue should still have the same bottom-half
https://rondoproducts.com/products/drea ... ment-cases

Colored shells from other manufacturers can be found cheaper on aliexpress, but there have been minor qulity issues. The most common one has been solved by sanding the part under the power button to allow function. One crappy manufacturer keeps copying Yoei's box designs. It's documented on Yoei's twitter feed.
Last edited by OatBob on Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.