SD Card Serial Port Tested Best Settings

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
jadelocked
lithium

SD Card Serial Port Tested Best Settings

Post by jadelocked »

Merry Christmas!
I had a big post saved as a note but never posted it. i wanted to do more with it because there is a lot to discover. i'll just post the notes i have and hope someone lets me know if there is confusion to clear up.

A lot of these games are really large and there are files available like 99 minute version, but the normal size hacks just run too poorly on a burned disc. After a few nights of testing it turns out that a lot of games still run slow and are incompatible with an enjoyable gaming experience when run from SD serial boot Retrodreams;
However, all of the games that I tried on disc that ran poorly, loaded buggy, and sounded grindy actually work basically perfectly on SD with the right settings. Usually there is only a single setting that I find playable. I'm using an unmodded Norths Amercion Dreamcast hardware with SD serial adapter and Retrodreams. The following are my notes for the optimal settings to make these games more playable:

draconus/dragons blood is a simple choice: C000100 on sync 1
This game is very laggy especially during combat unless on sync 1. this memory address works best and after testing every sync this is the only 1 that does not have noticeable slowdowns. I'm so happy to finally put together a playable setting for this game, actually this was the breakthrough that made me realize games that work on SD can also work better than burned disc. It's surprising how much boost comes from changing both the sync and memory pointer.

ecco the dolphin is C000100 on sync 7
sync 7 after an hour of test checked the best, all others have noticeable graphics errors the closest are 3 and 5 but on 3 it lags when you turn and then 5 is smooth but the animation starts too early which makes it look weird when doing the fast swim; dolphin is propelled forward before the fin is flapped. 7 is a little less smooth but better graphics and no noticeable lag. although it isnt perfect and there are some minor slowdowns but they arent disorienting like all the other sync settings. I tried them all... wish these could all be a bit better but they are much better than disc and any other setting.
for ecco the dolphin the later versions are better, the difference is most obvious when spinning and also when right under the surface the water is too pixely and flashes white instead of smoothly changing colors. 1.03 PAL version made it much smoother:)
this is the same for nomad soul. i had US 1.01 and switched to the superior PAL 1.03, it's a lot faster it's a clear difference every game I've tried the later version plays better

omikron / nomad soul is DXCFC0000 on sync 7.

evil twin cyprien chronicles
yes i believe this os fully playable but the loading crashes on some memory settings, but it works on some unexpected settings. dont' have tine to retest. stick with sync 7 as always for every game, it's the best 90%
evil twin had a problem loading past 1st level but might be only if you remain powered up when ending the level
and didnt have this problem on next memory address but game was slower

power stone 2, well we prefer Capcom's other 3D party fighter, but worth mentioning that Power Stone 2 works surprisingly well on SD serial boot Retrodreams. The disk version is really grindy and runs badly so it actually performs better on SD.

heavy metal geomatrix runs great on XCFC0000 and sync 7.
ok this game is unplayable on disc, there is a bug that happened to me multiple times where the floor is missing. and this is a 3D fighting game like Power Stone, so the floor can't be missing for a smooth experience. SD has no problems and actually runs better since the disc is also grindy on this one.

It's awesome that all the grindy discs actually run better on serial port howwww and all except for Hidden and Dangerous I tried a lottttt . Real quick, Take 2 studio also did Moho and that game works on SD on many settings, sync 7 is the best sync but not sure about the memory setting. Moho on SD, the cutscenes lag too much, so disc is better. Hidden and Dangerous does boot on disc but is borderline unplayable. Hidden and Dangerous is my new 'game that doesnt work.' but it may work if vga patched

NBA Hoopz

omikron the nomad soul

Aqua GT Remix (not sure what's different from the regular version but this works)

Hydro Thunder (PAL only for VGA and may need to patch with hex editor, that's what I did there are VGA tutorials easy to internet search) works great on SD.

alone in the dark works

dino crisis

RE3 I tested Ian version and it's fine but isnt the origibal fine too?

Cannon Spike works, havent played much

San Fran Rush 2049 doesnt work yet:(
first of all needs VGA patch
interesting note: boots on DX8CB0000 but crashes by going blank screen instead of playing the midway logo cutscene. all other memory adresses that boot the game get through the cutcene no problem. this one is different somehow
boots on many memory addresses but wont allow any menu movement just freezes blinking on 1P cant move to 2P or anither optuon

Vampire Chronicle
Street Fighters dont seem to work on SD serial. Vamp works but intro cutscene is laggy, the game is full speed on SD with these settings
DX8CFC0000 on sync 7. can sometimes tolerate slow cutscene and doesnt freeze on loud noises so doesnt hurt ears except when felicia wins, her song makes loud freeze and i dont like. it's worth mentioning this setting makes the game run exactly the same as the disc, but the disc is fine and plays the intro cutscene so disc is preferrable, although neat to make game work just the same apart from the cutscene
interesting, on DX8CFA0000 the intro cutscene plays slightly better and there is no lag at character select or any menu, but game crashes instead of starting fight. instead of blank screen it resets the dreamcast back to Retrodreams.
Dirge Of Ram
Graffiti Grind
Dreamcast Games you play Online: No GGPO Fightcade For Me.

Re: SD Card Serial Port Tested Best Settings

Post by Dirge Of Ram »

I had my own list what works & what didn't then lost interest making a thread. Don't have the settings top off my mind right now but I'll add to this list. Always use the Batch GDI Optimization though as does help. Excluding all Windows CE games of course!

Code Veronica, Dead or Alive, Dynamite Cop 2, Phantasy Star Online, Silent Scope, Sports Jam, Shenmue, Virtua Fighter 3 all plays fine.

18 Wheeler & Daytona USA 2001 if you can find that right setting.

You can play Capcom Vs SNK Pro, Third Strike, Shenmue 2, D2, Virtua Tennis 1 + 2 if you can put up with the lag.

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 not so perfect can crash at random times.

Don't bother with Tony Hawk's 1 + 2, MTV Skateboarding, Spawn nor any the NBA/NHL/NFL sport games.
fafadou
Gold Lion

Post by fafadou »

You should try the last dreamshell rc5, the loaders are optimized with more options not compatible with retrodream.

You Can run quake 3 with rc5 for example.

Anyway thanks for your sharing, sd card reader deserves more attention.
Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

NO the og version lags like shit stutters all over the place.. any game where the fmv lags can be fixed by downsampling it to match the read speed..
fafadou
Gold Lion

Post by fafadou »

In my memories you had do the job, for resident evil 3 and the fmv are now playable in VGA too.
Dirge Of Ram
Graffiti Grind
Dreamcast Games you play Online: No GGPO Fightcade For Me.

Post by Dirge Of Ram »

Your new RE3 GDI was flawless, absolutely worth it.
fafadou
Gold Lion

Post by fafadou »

Dirge Of Ram wrote:Your new RE3 GDI was flawless, absolutely worth it.
That's i wanted to say :)