GUIDE: Use a PC-CDROM lens in your Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Hunk_4TH
Anarki

Re: GUIDE: Use a PC-CDROM lens in your Dreamcast

Post#21 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:32 pm

Kingbuzzo wrote:can we get those pics reuploaded?

Agreed :D

jasonhu55
noob

Post#22 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:44 am

This is a great guide. However the pics are all gone. Anyway to see the pics? Thanks a lot!

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#23 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:13 pm

Just buy a Dreamcast lens on eBay. Much easier, and a perfect fit...

Search for SPU-3200...
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

MrSega

Post#24 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Does anyone know if there's a way to mod the Dreamcast LED to read DVD Video? ;)

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#25 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:04 pm

MrSega wrote:Does anyone know if there's a way to mod the Dreamcast LED to read DVD Video? ;)

You can change the colour of the LED. Green instead of orange for instance. I have one like that.

You won't be able to read DVDs with it though... :P

But honestly, why would you want to read DVDs with your Dreamcast?... :?

MrSega

Post#26 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:33 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:
MrSega wrote:Does anyone know if there's a way to mod the Dreamcast LED to read DVD Video? ;)

You can change the colour of the LED. Green instead of orange for instance. I have one like that.

Because if its possible to execute, it would be pretty neat to play Standard DVDs on Dreamcast. That was the one Achilles' heel that got people hyped over PS2.

MrSega

Post#27 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:33 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:

Because if its possible to execute, it would be pretty neat to play Standard DVDs on Dreamcast. That was the one Achilles' heel that got people hyped over PS2.

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#28 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:47 pm

MrSega wrote:Because if its possible to execute, it would be pretty neat to play Standard DVDs on Dreamcast. That was the one Achilles' heel that got people hyped over PS2.

Was, past tense...

You can play VCDs with it though. I remember watching Jurassic Park 3 on my Dreamcast weeks before it was in the cinema... :mrgreen:

But you're missing the point of my previous post. I'm sure you meant lens, not LED...

MrSega

Post#29 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:56 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:
MrSega wrote:Because if its possible to execute, it would be pretty neat to play Standard DVDs on Dreamcast. That was the one Achilles' heel that got people hyped over PS2.

Was, past tense...

You can play VCDs with it though. I remember watching Jurassic Park 3 on my Dreamcast weeks before it was in the cinema... :mrgreen:

But you're missing the point of my previous post. I'm sure you meant lens, not LED...

Yeah, your right. I meant lens.

Also, wouldn't modifiying Dreamcast using a PC-CDROM lens allow Dreamcast to read Windows 98/2000/XP games?

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#30 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:16 pm

MrSega wrote:Also, wouldn't modifiying Dreamcast using a PC-CDROM lens allow Dreamcast to read Windows 98/2000/XP games?

No. The Dreamcast can already read CD-R's as is. Assuming the Dreamcast chipset is fine with reading PC games due to Windows CE compatibility, it's probably due to BIOS coding of some sort. You know, that strange ring on the disc, near the hole in the centre.