GUIDE: Use a PC-CDROM lens in your Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
cOcOoO
Ore hitori de, juubun da

GUIDE: Use a PC-CDROM lens in your Dreamcast

Post#1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:03 pm

USE A PC-CDROM LASER ON YOUR DREAMCAST (THE PICS ARE SHIT, DON'T MENTION IT)

FIRST OF ALL, IT'S OBVIOUS IF YOU FUCK UP YOUR CONSOLE PERMANENTLY BECAUSE OF THE USE OF THIS GUIDE IT'S YOUR RESPONSABILITY AND ONLY YOURS, SAME FOR YOUR SCREWDRIVERS, YOUR PC DRIVE, YOUR PC, YOUR TV, YOUR DOG, YOUR CAT, YOUR MOM, YOUR SIBLINGS, YOUR NEIGHBOR OR ANY OTHER THING. tHE SOLELY PURPOSE OF THIS GUIDE IS FOR REVIVING DEAD DREAMCAST DUE TO LASER FAILURES, SO REMEMBER, IF YOU FUCK IT UP, IT'S YOUR FAULT

Ok, that being said...

Necessary items:

1 Dreamcast with SAMSUNG GD DRIVE (this guide DOES NOT COVER yamaha drives)
1 A PC-CDROM drive. I've used a Creative CD5233E drive, but it ***COULD*** work with another drives. CD-RW drives DOES NOT WORK.
1 Phillips screwdriver
1 A precission screwdriver, if it's the flat one and the smallest one, better.
1 saw
and A LOT of patience...

K, let's get started...

Picture of the drive used in this tutorial.

First of all, you will have to dissasemble the PC CDROM drive. Not putting pics because this is somewhat an advanced tutorial. Once you have done this, you have to detach the lens from the rest of the drive, do this with EXTREME CARE as you could fuck it up too, rendering this guide completelly useless unless you have another drive... Once you have the lens/laser in your hands, put it in a safe place as it will be used later.

Next step, dissasemble the console

Unscrew the 4 screws, remember the 4th one is under the modem. When you are done, flip the console and take out the top cover. It will end up looking like this:

Next, you have to take off the GD drive COMPLETELY, unscrewing the 3 screws show in the next pic

Firmly and carefully, detach the drive from the rest of the console.

OK, now we are going to work with the drive only, so you can put the console in a safe place, cuz this will take some time to complete... and it will make a lot of dust.

You have to separate the drive pickup from it's metallic box, taking off the 5 screws showing in the next pic.

Carefully separate the 2 metallic parts of the enclosure, and pay attention to the cables and the flex/ribbon cable, because these are EXTREMELY fragile and you can cut them without any effort. You will en up with something like this...

Take out the flex/ribbon cable from both the gd rom controller PCB and the lens pickup, and put it in a safe place. Detach the 2 set of cables from the gd rom controller pcb. My suggestion is to put both the flex/ribbon cable AND the screws into the bottom part of the metallic box so you don't lose them.

Next, put a soft handkerchief or something like that in the place you are working, since it involves putting the drive upside down and you don't want it to get more fucked up than it is now (i suppose lol)

With the precision screwdriver unscrew the tiny screw that's holding the tiny piece of white plastic that shows next...

... and take off the faulty/dead laser, lifting the swirly-patter steel bar like in the next pic

Once you lift it, slightly pull it so you release the laser.

Next i'll show you WHY it's necessary to have a SAMSUNG drive instead of a yamaha. Look at both of them and try to spot the differences between these 2 (the one in the right is a yamaha, the one in the left is the SAMSUNG)

Noticed? well, in case you didn't, look at the hole in the center of the drive pickup. The SAMSUNG one is wider than the yamaha, because the format of the lens are different. While the samsung format is rectangular (wider) the yamaha format is round. If you try to fit a rectangular format lens into the yamaha píckup, it will not fit and you will not be able to finish this guide.

The next pic shows the difference between the formats of the lens, comparing the one i've used from the pc-cdrom drive and the yamaha gdrom drive.

Let's move on... the next step is to make the pc-cdrom lens to fit accordingly and to have smooth movement along the drive pickup, being an essential step, because normally the pc-cd lens are bigger than the pickup and it can't move to the end of it, causing reading problems... and here is when the saw makes an appearance XD

First things first, take a look at the gd-lens you took off your dreamcast. It has a REALLY tiny piece of plastic and a thin metallic piece. You have to take them off the gd lens and put them into the pc-cd lens. The purpose of these pieces is to follow the pattern of the swirly-pattern steel bar (so it can freely move up and down), and to touch the sensor at the very beginning of the drive pickup, so the console can recognize the laser is at the PARKING position (at the beginning of the disc). If this switch isn't pressed when the laser starts reading the discs, IT WON'T WORK. Both pieces shown above:

Once you put these 2 pieces into the PC-CD lens, start assembling the gd pickup again, using the PC-CD lens. Check if the lens freely moves up and down AND IF IT REACHES THE END OF THE PICKUP. If it does, you are done, check if it reads MUSIC CDS FIRST. If it does, check with a game, preferred with a game in a CD-R first, if so, check with a gd-rom. If all works, you've successfuly finished this guide. GO PLAY WITH YOUR FULLY REVIVED DREAMCAST! If not... keep on reading...
These lens are a pain in the ass to make them fit correctly into the gd drive pickup. You will have to make some heavy modification to it, here are some examples you can follow:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

LAST MODIFICATION:

I've had to put some plastic with tape (if you are sure of what you are doing, just use glue instead of tape), so it was stabilized, due to I had to remove one of the 3 legs that supported the pickup so it can move freely.

Last pic AND AN ADVICE: DC lens are NOT conventional. This ones have 16 pin connectors for the flex/ribbon cable. The real "problem" of this is that the PC lens have 17 pins. Even if there's a difference between the number of pins, IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM. Here's how to: Your flex/ribbon cable has 16 pins, and you pc lens have 17 a very simple math solution says it doesn't fit perfectly lol. So you have to connect the flex/ribbon cable in a way the last non-connected pin is the one at the left of the picture shown above (if i wasn't clear enough, you have to connect the FLEX/ribbon cable aligned FROM THE RIGHT, if you are looking the pickup in the same way shown in the pic above)

The arrow indicates that you have to connect the pins starting from the right, so the last pin in the left remains disconnected.

K, now the only thing left ot do is to put all back together and test if it works. If it doesn't work at first, keep on trying 5 more times. If it still doesn't work, you would probably like to check the connections again. If all seems ok, you should try calibrating the lens. There's a shitload of vids at teh youtube showing how to do that.

TEH VIDS (showing it working)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvSrCW5fui0

TEH GD-ROMS WORKS (i've used utopia since the GD is american and the console is japanese, not for other reasons)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1WLrWScF9c

Enjoy dudes, hope this will be helpful
(>'-')>=|======> t('.'t)

ImageImageImage

PSO char:
Alegrina!
Lvl. 44
HUnewearl
REDRIA

Impulse
Admin

Re: GUIDE: Use a PC-CDROM lens in your Dreamcast

Post#2 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:31 pm

This is cool, nice guide. I'll put it in the Ultimate Dreamcast Tutorial FAQ.
-Impulse

dirtydav
stalker

Post#3 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:56 pm

wow, I'm sure this will help keep a lot of dreamcast's alive another 10 years.

Thanks!

cOcOoO
Ore hitori de, juubun da

Post#4 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:49 pm

De nada ;)
(>'-')>=|======> t('.'t)

ImageImageImage

PSO char:
Alegrina!
Lvl. 44
HUnewearl
REDRIA

Dreamstriker
shadow

Post#5 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:27 am

Wow, fantastic!!! Coco te felicito por el tutorial!!!
PSO Character
Name: ALCIDES
Level: 29
Type: RAmar
ID: GREENNILL
Version: 2

chaseincats
lithium

Post#6 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:57 pm

hey so two questions, does this not work with the yamaha drives simply because the laser wont fit in (in that case could i cut some of the plastic?)

and secondly you said it does not work with cdrw drives?

cant all cd-rom drives read rw-s?

cOcOoO
Ore hitori de, juubun da

Post#7 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:56 pm

In fact, this guide wasn't directed to yamaha drives because of the lack of space to fit these lens, but yeah, sure you can make the lens fit by cutting extra plastic. You are on your own, though. The "cd-rw drives" statement was because pc-cdrw drives have a different pinout than cd-rom drives. I haven't tried with CD-RW discs, but they MIGHT work without any other modifications with the new lens.
(>'-')>=|======> t('.'t)

ImageImageImage

PSO char:
Alegrina!
Lvl. 44
HUnewearl
REDRIA

spinksy
Prince of Persia

Post#8 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:10 am

cool!!
Dreamcast, it's still thinking.

PSO v2 HuCAST lvl.46
name: Predator

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#9 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:03 am

Would it work if you use a CD/DVD lens? What about about blueray? Imagine having your entire dreamcast collection on one disc lol. :lol:
PS2 Online Gaming

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#10 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:20 pm

i think he said somwears that it has to be a certain model
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482