Soul Reaver 2 on DC ?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderator: mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Neohound
Gold Lion

Re: Soul Reaver 2 on DC ?

Post#11 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks to everybody that has posted, I think this needs to be investigated fully. I'm absolutely certain there is something out there worth having.

Check out the lighting in the screenshots ! Amazing stuff, it would surely have been one of the DC's best looking games.

cloofoofoo, that article on IGN was done in Nov 2000 and the game was set to be released in the following march ? Surely that means it must have been finished apart from maybe some small details.

am I getting ahead of myself here ? lol Or is there really a chance something could come of this.......

cloofoofoo
brutal

Post#12 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Neohound wrote:Thanks to everybody that has posted, I think this needs to be investigated fully. I'm absolutely certain there is something out there worth having.

Check out the lighting in the screenshots ! Amazing stuff, it would surely have been one of the DC's best looking games.

cloofoofoo, that article on IGN was done in Nov 2000 and the game was set to be released in the following march ? Surely that means it must have been finished apart from maybe some small details.

am I getting ahead of myself here ? lol Or is there really a chance something could come of this.......

Alot can happen in that time,if you payed attention to the you tube video the finished game isnt like the trailers.In the second trailer ull see a handful of comments saying how the early version looked better than what we got.Also in the interview he said the dreamcast was using the same 3000 triangle model of raziel that the ps2 was, the screen shots dont reflect that meaning the screen shots were outdated.So basically what you see in the 2nd trailer is how far the dreamcast version was along if you piece information here and there.To be honest theres nothing much to say that the dc version was identical to the ps2 one up until the point it was pulled.If they have the dev materials who knows,you would have to contact some former eidos dev for that.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#13 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Well I was trying to pay attention to the vids/links/sreens but I was also jumping up and down with excitement at the time..........so I might have missed a bit lol

I did understand the salient points in what you linked though. Piecing everything together it really does seem to me that the game must have been very close to finished. I don't think I'm being overly optimistic. Am I ? :)

I'm quite surprised by how the DC version was supposedly the equal of the ps2 version, that's pretty impressive for what was a dying console. I always thought/heard that the ps2 version had better lighting, higher poly counts and better particle effects but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Jenkins wrote:Agartha could be found on a SCSI HDD too. It exists.

Really ? A playable build of Agartha ? We've been talking about that game a few times recently so any further info would be nice to have.

Did you see the vid pcwzrd13 posted ? Are you saying there is more footage..............

What the hell, I need to know !!!! :lol:

cloofoofoo
brutal

Post#14 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:51 pm

Neohound wrote:Well I was trying to pay attention to the vids/links/sreens but I was also jumping up and down with excitement at the time..........so I might have missed a bit lol

I'm quite surprised by how the DC version was supposedly the equal of the ps2 version, that's pretty impressive for what was a dying console. I always thought/heard that the ps2 version had better lighting, higher poly counts and better particle effects but that doesn't seem to be the case.

It was equal till it was cancelled.They always mentioned the dreamcast was being pushed 100% and it kept up with the ps2(this didnt mean the ps2 was being pushed 100% according to theirstatement.)After the dreamcast version was cancelled they said they optimized fully for the ps2 hardware ,before then they were equal.

Jenkins
Cracked LCD

Post#15 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:02 am

Neohound wrote:Really ? A playable build of Agartha ? We've been talking about that game a few times recently so any further info would be nice to have.

Did you see the vid pcwzrd13 posted ? Are you saying there is more footage..............

What the hell, I need to know !!!! :lol:

Yes, I refer to monokoma's video (www.unseen64.net/2008/04/10/agartha-dc-cancelled). Maybe not a playable build but an alpha version and lot of stuff. The game was about 20% done. I bet the developer still got the discs/materials.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#16 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:17 am

Ok cloofoofoo, I get what you're saying, there was still a bit of time to further optimise the ps2 version. But the very fact that the game was being optimised surely means that the vast bulk of the game was already finished, just getting tweaked.

Anyway, the next step is to get hold of the game (whatever state it may be in).

I really wouldn't know where to start ? Maybe emails to Eidos and Team Nixxes ?

I guess a lot of the dev team that worked on the game have left the industry but it may be worth contacting a website dedicated to those types of people. One or two people just might be able to shed some light..........

Jenkins, I'll check that link in a mo. Looks like it maybe the same as pcwzrd posted. Even if it was only 20% finished it would still be worth investigating.

Maybe putting together a video of the game with a narrator spelling out the story as it plays various bits of the retrieved footage. This is the Dreamcast's legacy I'm concerned about. These things need to be done for history's sake !

Omnibot2000
MegaDeath

Post#17 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:42 pm

Neohound wrote:Anyway, the next step is to get hold of the game

That would be awesome. I remember that I wanted this game really bad back then. Soul Reaver was just a port with better resolution, the sequel would have pushed the Dreamcast.

Now that I followed a thread in the assemblergames forum regarding an optimised version of Half-Life in the hands of a collector who doesn't even think of sharing it with the dreamcast community, I fear even if there IS a build of this gorgeus game, it may be in the hands of an egoistic a**hole which takes a look on the GDR everyday and thinks "I own something nobody else does".

cloofoofoo
brutal

Post#18 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:28 pm

Omnibot2000 wrote:
Neohound wrote:Anyway, the next step is to get hold of the game

That would be awesome. I remember that I wanted this game really bad back then. Soul Reaver was just a port with better resolution, the sequel would have pushed the Dreamcast.

Now that I followed a thread in the assemblergames forum regarding an optimised version of Half-Life in the hands of a collector who doesn't even think of sharing it with the dreamcast community, I fear even if there IS a build of this gorgeus game, it may be in the hands of an egoistic a**hole which takes a look on the GDR everyday and thinks "I own something nobody else does".

I wouldnt call a collector an asshole.I mean they usually pay alot of money for something a developer either throws away because they dont care for it or the dev keeps it on shelf till it goes bad.And seeing how they paid alot of money for it its their choice to share or not.Most collectors dont even like to tell what they even own so its not much of our loss.I mean , the game wasnt meant to be released right? so why do you feel entitled, or that it is owed to you to play and have it?I think we get real lucky a collector asks for a set amount of money to release the data of a game we werent even meant to play in the 1st place.

And comeon get real,You, I or any one here isnt willing to throw away 500-1000 something dollars on a single disc that might not work, so why complain?

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#19 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:41 pm

I get where Omni's coming from though. It would mean a lot to us Dreamcast fans and probably wouldn't be a huge loss for him other than devaluing his product which could be offset if he asked for donations. It sucks that its going to die with him and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even use the game in order to preserve its value. It is his and he has the right to it and fortunately its only Half Life which we can play better on the PC anyways, still sucks though.

cloofoofoo
brutal

Post#20 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:55 pm

BrianC wrote:I get where Omni's coming from though. It would mean a lot to us Dreamcast fans and probably wouldn't be a huge loss for him other than devaluing his product which could be offset if he asked for donations. It sucks that its going to die with him and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even use the game in order to preserve its value. It is his and he has the right to it and fortunately its only Half Life which we can play better on the PC anyways, still sucks though.

Yes I understand, thats why I donated toward geist force release.I would love for the dreamcast fan base and myself to play it.And at the time I donated both my dreamcast brokedown and I wouldnt have a dreamcast to play it on , yet I still donated.
But, maybe I misunderstood, he comes with the attitude that unreleased games are owed to him/fanbase and all collectors who paid a ton of hard earned money to look at their unreleased games on a shelf are ass holes.When realistically we or anyone wouldnt spend hundreds up to thousand dollars for a single disc that might not work,and they do that without batting an eye.I think we should consider ourselves lucky when one collector hopes to pool a fraction of what they paid from the fanbase to release the data of the game.

Btw my personal wish is a dreamcast copy of gunvalkyrie(it was built on windows ce just like half-life) .But thats probably not even in the hands of a collector but sega themselves, if they havent destroyed it yet.