Evil Twin, the video game that beats you

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online
Quake 3 Arena

Re: Evil Twin?

Post by DCUltrapro »

Bleem requires its own VMU to work, this isn't exactly a surprise, but Evil Twin Shouldn't have any problems loading a save file. Half Life was the other VMU issue, you had to set aside a lot fo space because the VMU save had no space limit so it need room in case it got bigger.

Are you only storing a game save on the VMU? It's possible it needs the settings file that it saves with the actual game progress, I think what it tries to do is check for space to auto save a settings file to the VMU, though you said you cleared space and it still didn't work? wierd
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc
dark
Shark Patrol

Post by dark »

DCUltrapro wrote:Are you only storing a game save on the VMU? It's possible it needs the settings file that it saves with the actual game progress, I think what it tries to do is check for space to auto save a settings file to the VMU, though you said you cleared space and it still didn't work? wierd
So here's the situation, and this could be the explanation for why it doesn't work.

When I first started up the game without having played it at all, it said I needed 24 blocks of space and it wouldn't even let me start the game without it. My VMU was all used up, so I moved some stuff to a different vmu and got the A1 vmu to have 24 blocks of space.

I played the game for 2 hours and got to the first save point. I tried to save my game, but it didn't work and kept saying the save failed. I was wondering what was up with this, but I hotswapped in a different vmu and was able to save to that. After I hotswapped the other vmu, it immediately said it was saving my options file, and then it allowed me to save my gameplay file b/c there was plenty of space on this vmu. (Basically, the problem with the first vmu was that it saved a ~6 block option file into the 24 blocks I freed up, which then meant I only had 18 blocks free and could not save the 24 block gameplay file!)

Anyway, I exited to the bios, and wanted to move the save game to my normal A1 port vmu which I try to use for all games that require saves in A1. I deleted a few other files and freed up enough space, and then I moved the gameplay file from the other vmu to the A1 vmu - BUT, I didn't move the option file over, and in fact, I deleted it, as I already had an option file on the A1 vmu... So maaaaaaybe, for some reason, I needed to have the exact option file that was saved right after I hotswapped the vmu... but I figured it didnt' matter because I thought this was just settings like what subtitles I wanted, and what music volume I wanted and stuff, and even if it wasn't just this, the A1 option file would have been current up until maybe 10 seconds from the other one...
dark
Shark Patrol

Post by dark »

Hey, good news, I managed to load my game.

I didn't realize that "album" in the main menu meant "load game." I assumed it was a gallery or something, and that by pressing new game, you would be able to load your game from the blank squares that show up in the menu... :lol: Let the story continue!
DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

lol yeah sorry I should've explained more about the save/load screen I forgot about that part! But yeah it is a bit anal in that it wants a settings file on the same file as the save file... at least you've got it working again... yay!!

I need to continue my walkthrough on my channel, haven't had a chance lately
dark
Shark Patrol

Post by dark »

Played Evil Twin some more. I'm at the point where I have to shoot the buds on the evil tree (after the termite area), but it's so hard because the slingshot mechanics are very imprecise and the tree is moving around so much. At least I saved before the tree slowly beat me to death, I'm not looking forward to trying again.

I also found another odd saving glitch. Even though my games saved, Evil Twin won't load my saved games that are on the vmu unless there is at least 24 blocks of free memory still on the card in addition. Bizarre!

I want to get a proper copy of this, hopefully before I've finished playing through the adventure! Although it seems like I've still got a lot of the game left to play.
DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

Hey Dark,

check out my walkthrough, I am passed the evil root tree bit and I show how to complete it easily in my walkthrough, go to about episode 9 or 10 and watch from there, you will see what I do to beat it so quickly. hope it helps!

I'm much further into the game now, I'm at Joey's island after helping the Folk move their ship. Don't watch too far into it if you don't want it spoiling for you ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGl4ZdPk ... p_play_all
dark
Shark Patrol

Post by dark »

Thanks DCUP, I took a look at your walkthrough a few hours after I posted yesterday, very helpful indeed. -I'd actually attempted to do just that, but got injured by the poison clouds on the mushroom, so I figured it wasn't something I could do... I'll try to replicate exactly what you did next time I load the game. I hope you stay ahead of me with the walkthroughs, some of these puzzles are not straightforward at all!
DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

yeah I'm not sure if we are talking about the same point in the game, do you mean the root boss INSIDE the big tree that throws stuff at you or do you mean the little bit OUTSIDE the tree where something lobs stuff at you? its tough but if you watch those sections through you should get through it ok
dark
Shark Patrol

Post by dark »

Part 9 of your series, right before the boss, where you use the termite to eat the mushroom. That's where I'm at now. I watched the rest of your video to see how to defeat the upcoming boss though, so I understand the confusion, as I mistakenly thought you had to shoot the slingshot at the buds in the before-the-boss part, when you actually don't.
DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

aaaaah no problem lol I see where you are now :) glad your able to carry on