Best Non-Fighter Arcade Games

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Alec1382
Vagabond
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3 Arena, Phantasy Star Online V2

Re: Best Non-Fighter Arcade Games

Post by Alec1382 »

Everybody says that. I really don't see the game as having any frame rate issues. Always seemed smooth to me, even on levels with precipitation. In fact, I played through the arcade mode just now to see if I was remembering wrong. I really can't see any drops in framerate. Where is everyone coming from with that?
CD AGES
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: http://www.youtube.com/user/CDages

Post by CD AGES »

Really!? The game shifts from a smooth 60fps to 30fps randomly.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news
Alec1382
Vagabond
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3 Arena, Phantasy Star Online V2

Post by Alec1382 »

Ohh, that. I guess that's what you meant by wonky. I thought you just meant dips in the framerate. Either way, it doesn't really bother me. Just a little blip to be ignored.
NiktheGreek
shadow

Post by NiktheGreek »

Indeed, the framerate issues are part of it. The arcade version runs at 60fps. I think it's partially because the Dreamcast spoiled me with so many good arcade ports (I picked up Sega Rally 2 a bit late, so had already played a lot of Naomi ports), and partially because I don't like Sega Rally 2 as much as Sega Rally or Sega Rally 3 anyway.
dark
Shark Patrol

Post by dark »

Chaos Field and Gigawing 2 (and TXR 2, and MSR) and a bunch of other 3d games on DC have amazing framerate drops during gameplay too. I even thought the Chaos Field drops were intentional as they seem to come in pulses relative to the bullet patterns... but then I saw videos of the PS2 and Gamecube ports, and these maintain a fluid framerate.
cloofoofoo
Crazy Taxi!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO-SCHtACK

Post by cloofoofoo »

rooster wrote:
I think you're the first one in history to be unsatisfied with the DC port of SC! It was one of the best ports of any game, ever. It added so much onto the original that I felt disgust towards Sega's own VF3 (Still can't bear to play it, lol), even though that game was a better port that VF2 was. Also, the backgrounds were almost entirely polygonal. There are only one or two stages I can think of which had a flat image, and that was for very distant scenery which wouldn't have had any improvement by being 3D.
I played soul calibur kind of late.Also didnt help I played Dead or Alive 2 way before it.
dark
Shark Patrol

Post by dark »

SC was released on DC in 1999, well before DOA2, and was light years ahead of everything at the time. Personally, I thought it looked like a top notch game and it held up very well in terms of graphics and fighting system against first generation 3d fighters on PS2 (Tekken Tag, Bloody Roar 3) and Xbox (Kabuki Warriors! lol) until late 2002/early 2003 when SC2 finally came out (of course by this time, the DC was very much commercially dead in the US).
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Aren't we drifting a bit off topic here? :lol:
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live
dark
Shark Patrol

Post by dark »

Ok fine :) Here are my non-fighter arcade recommendations:

Rez
Cosmic Smash
Jet Grind Radio
Vanishing Point
Ikaruga/Chaos Field/Karous/Under Defeat/Shikigami no Shiro
Gauntlet Legends
TD Le Mans (it's easy to pick up and play for short intervals, and there are relaxed realism modes to have more of an arcade-like rather than a simulation experience)

Btw, regarding the original post - Alien Front Online actually was an arcade game first, so it's a naomi port rather than a game merely in an arcade style ;)