VGA Incompatible Games

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
megavolt85
Developer

Re: VGA Incompatible Games

Post#31 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:20 am

MoeFoh wrote:The Hydro Thunder NTSC/U VGA release outputs 480i VGA instead of 480p VGA

i'm check GDI from dubcity thread, my monitor say 31kHz@59Hz, is 480p

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#32 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:29 am

megavolt85 wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:The Hydro Thunder NTSC/U VGA release outputs 480i VGA instead of 480p VGA

i'm check GDI from dubcity thread, my monitor say 31kHz@59Hz, is 480p

What is your hardware setup?
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#33 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:14 pm

I guess I should've been more specific..this is the most comprehensive VGA incompatibility list for original retail GD-Roms that I've seen to date.

As far as Hydro Thunder, the second and third retail release of it with the red disc outputs VGA. This is the version that came with the "Hot New" sticker and also the Sega All Stars label.

I have the "Hot New" red disc version and can confirm it natively outputs VGA.

More info here if anyone's interested:
https://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4088
Last edited by OGDCFAN99 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rolly
letterbomb

Post#34 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:26 pm

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#35 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:06 pm

Rolly-

What was the hardware setup used in the testing?

Did game testing go beyond the title screen/first menu?

If a NTSC/U title does not work with VGA, I look for alternatives. japanese-cake has some patched PAL/E alternatives - MTV Skateboarding, Dino Crisis and WWF Attitude for US titles.

I'm still trying to understand why Hydro Thunder NTSC/U fails with your basic $20-30 VGA to HDMI cable. There must be some weird timing issue going on. Generally, there is screen flicker or no display at all. I'm using the Hyperkin cable.
Last edited by MoeFoh on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Impacto
dark night

Post#36 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:24 pm

MoeFoh wrote:

Rolly-

If a NTSC/U title does not work with VGA, I look for alternatives. japanese-cake has some patched PAL/E alternatives - MTV Skateboarding and WWF Attitude for US titles.

I'm still trying to understand why Hydro Thunder NTSC/U fails with your basic $20-30 VGA to HDMI cable. There must be some weird timing issue going on. Generally, there is screen flicker or no display at all. I'm using the Hyperkin cable.

Same problem here using hyperkin cable. I'm using the 'hot new' game version.

I can confirm the same problem with others vga/hdmi cables.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#37 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:53 pm

MoeFoh wrote:What is your hardware setup?

I'm use CRT monitor Samsung SyncMaster 959NF, this monitor don't sypport 480i

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#38 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:12 pm

Impacto wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:

Rolly-

If a NTSC/U title does not work with VGA, I look for alternatives. japanese-cake has some patched PAL/E alternatives - MTV Skateboarding and WWF Attitude for US titles.

Same problem here using hyperkin cable. I'm using the 'hot new' game version.

I can confirm the same problem with others vga/hdmi cables.

I've verified GT Aqua (PAL) works with VGA/GDEMU/GDMENU. Set REGION FREE and FORCE VGA to ON in GDMENU Options. Not as good as Hydro Thunder, but at least it works with a VGA to HDMI cable.

Download here:
https://the-eye.eu/public/rom/Sega%20Dr ... %21%5D.zip
- Charles Bukowski

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#39 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:09 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:What is your hardware setup?

I'm use CRT monitor Samsung SyncMaster 959NF, this monitor don't sypport 480i

I'm beginning to think there is some non-standard VGA code in Hydro Thunder (NTSC/U) that exposed an issue with the VGA to HDMI chip used in the Dreamcast VGA to HDMI cables.

AFAIK, the same IC, MS9282 by Macro Silicon is used in all the cables.
Info on IC: http://en.macrosilicon.com/info.asp?bas ... third_id=3
Last edited by MoeFoh on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Charles Bukowski

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#40 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:21 pm

MoeFoh wrote:The problem with Gunbird 2 when it gets to stage two has been known.

This has been bothering me for years. The Hydro Thunder NTSC/U VGA release outputs 480i VGA instead of 480p VGA. This makes it not work VGA to HDMI cables. Can someone (megavolt85) look at the code. It's the only Dreamcast release I know of that does this.

My unmodified TOSEC version of Iron Aces works with VGA. I was expecting it not to.

Hydro Thunder displays with my VGA to HDMI adapter, but the screen flickers every couple of seconds, making it unplayable.