VMU archiving project

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
OatBob
BFG-10K

Re: VMU archiving project

Post#101 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:20 pm

OatBob wrote:btw, Maximum Impact is the one that advertises connectivity with the VMU game.

Whoops, I got it wrong. Its the first one.

Looks lke we need to translate page 22 of the instructions.

The game options are:
  1. Single-person BATTLE
  2. Everyone BATTLE
  3. Kaiju LIST
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

streeker
fragger

Post#102 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:40 am

logo.png
logo.png (8.41 KiB) Viewed 6717 times

Okay, time to give the upcoming release a name. It's gonna be called "VMU Archive" - very surprising, I know, I know ;)
Can anybody please tell me, if the translation to Japanese is correct? So far, all I could do was asking google for it...

About the release:
Like I said before, it will be available on June 30th 2020. I guess it won't be the most groundbreaking software ever, but still for the first time you will have (almost) all official VMU executables in one place and ready to be transferred to your VMUs. It's gonna be released as an offline .cdi - so no need for going online with your DC. There will be a user interface, that'll let you sort everything either by name or origin, and optionally you'll be able to list everything in separate categories (games, clocks, animations and tools). Furthermore there will be a VMU manager similar to the one from the DC's bios.

Well, that's about it. In case you're interested, make sure to have some CR2032's by the time of the release ;)

streeker
fragger

Post#103 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:12 am

Any feedback on the Japanese translation, that I attempted? Does it read "VMU Archive" or "Visual Memory (which is ビジュアルメモリ, if I recall it right) Archive"?
OatBob… Xiden, maybe?

Xiden
Developer

Post#104 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:12 am

streeker wrote:Any feedback on the Japanese translation, that I attempted? Does it read "VMU Archive" or "Visual Memory (which is ビジュアルメモリ, if I recall it right) Archive"?
OatBob… Xiden, maybe?

It looks to translate to Visual Memory per google translate :)

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#105 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:51 am

What it says is "visual memory archive"
If you're wanting it to say "VMU archive" it would literally just be "VMU アーカイブ"
When letters are read as-is, they are rarely put in katakana.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

streeker
fragger

Post#106 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:59 am

Thank you!
I think I will go with ビジュアルメモリ, since that is what's written on some back covers of Japanese games too:

gd_back.jpg
gd_back.jpg (79.74 KiB) Viewed 6611 times

What do the two extra characters add that are seen behind ビジュアルメモリ in the picture above?

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#107 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:23 am

That's taiou. Basically means "supports" or "compatible with"

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

streeker
fragger

Post#108 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:23 pm

Similar to the recent issue with the Godzilla VMU, I am also looking for the correct filename of the minigame on the red "Giant Gram / Giant Channel" VMU. Does anyone here have that one and could help me out with this particular info? Thanks in advance!

arromdee
noob

Post#109 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:13 am

Did the VMU Archive ever come out?

streeker
fragger

Post#110 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:03 am

arromdee wrote:Did the VMU Archive ever come out?

Of course. I totally forgot to post something about the actual release here :shock:
You can find it in the "Downloads" section...