Dreamcast Games that are raising in price?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
runkthepunk
Doom

Re: Dreamcast Games that are raising in price?

Post#41 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:41 am

it's strange how these things seem to pick up steam and then as Ian says people start to want to get full collections years after the console was discontinued.

I am fortunate and have a complete European PAL collection along with all the games that came out in the USA that didn't get Euro releases. I completed my PAL collection in around 2004/05 I guess (the last game I got to complete the collection was NHL 2K)

I started going for the full collection as I had around 80+ games anyway and games were soooo cheap back then and still available in high street shops that I just thought 'ah why not'. I would not even consider doing it now though as the prices are too high even for some of the horrible games that I never play so it's a pretty bleak task.

game_player_s
Graffiti Grind

Post#42 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:30 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:I think youtube echo chamber is in full effects and geting the full set is in.. got have all those games behind you on self collecting dust to prove your a gamer lol

Dreamcast now is more known then what it was a few years ago

I blame Josh Fairhurst (founder of Limited Run Games) as he was going full set last year and constantly Tweet'ing his latest pick-ups. He Got the full US set, then got all the EU exclusives, and last I bothered to look was working on getting all the JP exclusives as well as working on getting a full Saturn collection. Seriously though, I could see doing that if I had a six figure income like he does, but reality is that very few people have that kind of budget to play around with and blow as they please. I'd just be really happy right now if I had the money to repair both of my cars, because that $1,200 U.S. government issued stimulus check doesn't go far at all where automotive repairs are concerned.

Social media, more specifically "Social Media Influencers", has definitely thrown a curve ball at the predictable values model. The old predictable values model is very much still applicable, but now we have to factor for when a popular person gets their followers hyped for whatever it is they're collecting.
Now There are no Limits -- SEGA
http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/

beanboy
Wazza

Post#43 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:48 pm

The super rarer games, or the ones that have limited copy releases, are always most of the time, the ones with ridiculously high prices. Worse, if they are brand new and are still sealed.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#44 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:36 pm

Despite the high prices and price fluctuation, on dreamcast and other console games, hopefully alot of the vendors are honest, and the games are in good condition too. It would suck paying $500 or more for a game, and when you get it, it's suffering from disc rot, or is partially damaged.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#45 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:40 pm

When retro video games become unaffordable to buy for the majority of ppl...
skip the idea of having a nostalgia museum littered with nerd memorabilia of days gone by.
Its not worth the price of a used car, just to have a library of video games.
Get past this way of thinking that you need to have it all.
Not only is it hoarding, but it is financially irresponsible.
If the retro video gaming stuff can be found for cheap then pick it up, if not emulate all of it.

Also a good way to build a collection is to buy as-is non working stuff and fix it.
Build up a decent stock of stuff that you have fixed...
Keep what you want, trade and sell the rest.
This way you can afford the habit :)

This is the only way I am able to get any of my retro video game, retro computer stuff.
If I was stuck paying market prices for any of it...
I would have nothing at all.
The most I ever sink into anything retro computer, retro video game related is 5 to 40 dollars max.

*Now I am not counting what I will eventually pay for a gdemu lol
(so I am going against my rule and spending 55 bucks sry)
The gdemu is worth it since I can have an entire dc collection of games and play them on real hardware.
Considering the games are 1to1 copies of gd-roms and the dc laser lens lifespan is short.

Spend your money anyway you want too.
I am suggesting that there are better ways to go about building a video game collection.
And in the end if you did not invest much, no matter what you get out of the items in the future...
You will always be ahead.

turntablism
rebel

Post#46 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:58 pm

Holy...
I checked Border Down L.E. at Ebay. Around 300+ euro.
It was around 150 when i bought mine.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#47 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:41 am

To echo Smith's comment above, although I have basically owned all dreamcast games from all regions that I'd ever wanted to, there were other systems like Saturn that I got interested in only after the software was hugely expensive. Although I've always been about playing games on the actual systems on my tv, I decided to check out the state of emulators in 2020 for a wide variety of systems.

I hadn't really messed with emulation much since around 2011, when it was common for DC emulators like nullDC to still have noticeable graphical glitches on things like shadows and transparencies in most games, and saturn emulation was in its infancy and required very substantial PCs to run well. In any case, I guess I'm a convert now. Emulation for most 3D focused systems, including dreamcast, gamecube, wii etc. is really good. I got an emulation rig going now and I literally have not played any of my old consoles since getting it set up. Not to say I won't be in the mood for the nostalgic console experience again one day, but I've completely changed my tune on emulation after getting acquainted with some of the advances since 2011, its just so dang convenient, and the current market for retrogames has gotten beyond ridiculous.

thirdpunch
rebel

Post#48 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:58 pm

Couple weeks ago i noticed how RE2 and RE3 were growing in price on Dreamcast. I remember picking both up at launch for $19.99 a piece!

OatBob
BFG-10K

Post#49 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:32 am

I expect the rare stuff to go up as more people try to complete collections. Everything rising has me concerned. I noticed my copy of Magical Racing Tour was scratched and am looking for a replacement. Both loose and CIB copies are US $40 on eBay. All for a subpar Mario Kart ripoff!

...Speaking of Mario Kart. What's going on there? Are all those reproductions there? I'm glad we don't have to deal with that too much with the DC.
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#50 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:54 am

Yup, everything is rising. I checked the price for 'Dynamite Cop' recently, a game that not long ago people couldn't give away for less than $10, and eBay has prices $50-70 for complete copies. WTF!?