Painting my Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Martyn
rebel

Painting my Dreamcast

Post#1 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:02 am

Hey folks,

Managed to bag a spare DC shell for £5 last summer, purely to replace my yellowing casing. However, it was quickly decided to paint one of the shells and do something...slightly different.

Started with some blue rattle tins this morning, it's only a first coast but it's starting to take shape. Really not looking forward to trying to figure out the lid mechanics again, took the entire case apart to ensure the best result possible. Easy to dismantle but not convinced it'll be that easy to rebuild lol.

Dreamcaseal
letterbomb

Re: Painting my Dreamcast

Post#2 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:51 pm

looks like yeah didnt need a new case afterall. i prefer stock colors cause thats how i roll. if that were mine though id make it black and blue. maybe some parts black.

Martyn
rebel

Post#3 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Hiya,

The lid was wet 'n' dried, but after that was really needing a good going over.

The power and open buttons I need to spray - black with white text might work? Also thinking that the front controller panel will be the same. Just need to work out the best way to in fill the text.

LED I might get changed when moving components apart.

Overall pretty happy with the result - cople of runs (one around the open button, one on the back of the modem) but I think they'll wet sand out. Fingers crossed :)

Blai
photon blast

Post#4 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:18 am

Let us see the progress!

:)

Martyn
rebel

Post#5 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi Blai,

Not quite finished but this is where we pause for now.

Future plans - need to replace the CPU battery and gonna change the LED as well. So when that work gets done I'll probably paint the front panel.

Controller is next up for the paint treatment, probably not til tomorrow though. Also gonna fit an Xbox thumbstick and ABXY button.

Overall quite happy with the result - yeah, there are a few imperfections but you know what it's the first time I've really torn into the Dreamcast, let alone painted the damn thing so for a first effort I'm happy. Still planning on doing something on the top of the console, just not sure what yet. That blue does lend itself to Sonic a bit though...
Attachments
20130601_103420.jpg

Martyn
rebel

Post#6 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:53 pm

Well, the first controller has a shade of blue :)

Finished result isn't 100% perfect, but I'm back at work so this'll have to do. And again, it's the first one. There was a wee bit of wet sanding required around the VMU window, some of the masking was less than perfect but it's cleaned up okay :)

Also received my T8 screwdriver in the post - so hopefully that broken Xbox 360 controller which is on it's way will come apart nice and easily.

Assuming it turns up tomorrow then the plan is to start work on moving over the Xbox buttons and thumbstick. Then the fun of rebuilding the lot :D
Attachments
20130603_191850.jpg

Jenkins
MicroMidget

Post#7 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:09 am

This is awesome! SEGA should have sold this blue controller...

Martyn
rebel

Post#8 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:24 pm

Oops - haven't been on in a while.

Part one of the console (and controller) complete for now. Plan to spray another controller, now that I know the VMU window can be removed to allow for a neater job. Console was FULLY stripped over the summer, going to repeat in the holidays so that I can spray the front panel and the modem. Need to do something on the lid, where the logo used to be. Ideas??

Martyn
rebel

Post#9 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:58 pm

Update as I haven't been on here in ages :(

The console paint is holding up fine - however, due to wear and tear, the controller paint began flaking and it's currently out of commission as it just looks a mess.

If I get a chance over the summer I'll rub both down and re-do. Never did get round to fixing the cpu battery or changing the LED so might just make a day of it.

Still on the hunt for a BB adaptor tho :)

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Post#10 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:00 pm

Looks quite nice.