*WIP* Sega Dreamcast Font + Sega stuff

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
BWT
rebel

*WIP* Sega Dreamcast Font + Sega stuff

Post#1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:35 pm

Hello everyone,

As I already said in the new member topic, I am a graphic designer and a Dreamcast enthusiast (even if I am a total noob compared to you guys). I have been looking a long time for the Sega Dreamcast font we all know and love. But there is apparently no way to get the font on the internet...

So, I decided to do it on my own. So far I managed to do a rough preview of almost all the lowercase letters, but I don't have enough reference material to make it more accurated as I don't own official boxes or brochures :

If you guys want to get into this modest project, feel free to send me any kind of material to enhance the look of the font (and to complete the alphabet :mrgreen: )

I'll give you some updates real soon...
Last edited by BWT on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hunk_4TH
Anarki

Re: *WIP* Sega Dreamcast Font

Post#2 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Very nice!

BWT
rebel

Post#3 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:57 pm

So, the font is still in really early stage, but so far, I managed to do all the lowercase letters, so I can do this :

BWT
rebel

Post#4 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Some adjusments...

BWT
rebel

Post#5 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:18 pm

I've converted the lowercase letters to .otf (font file). Still in alpha stage :

Last edited by BWT on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post#6 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:24 pm

Awesome work!
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

BWT
rebel

Post#7 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks man. About the name of the font, because I've no imagination, it is currently called "dreamfont", but if you guys have any idea, please feel free to share it in this topic.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#8 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:20 pm

Awesome! As soon as you finish with the Dreamcast font, how about cloning the PSO DC font? I've always wanted that... :mrgreen:

Do you have the ability to make this a vector font so it can be scaled to any size without degradation? You might be able to use something like XeTeX to convert it to TTF or OTF.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

BWT
rebel

Post#9 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:32 pm

The Dreamcast font is going to be a vector based font, so yes, no degradation. As for the PSO font, well...one thing at the time ;) It would take a long time to complete and refine the Dreamcast font, but I'll take a look at the PSO one, for sure.

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post#10 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:53 am

PSO font as in the font used for the game title or the font used in-game?
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd