Tomb Raider on DC

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Neohound
Gold Lion

Tomb Raider on DC

Post#1 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Ive been playing Tomb Raider Chronicles tonight, just fancied a change of pace, some puzzles and adventuring. I love the graphics even though they nowhere near max out the DC, the environments are nicely rendered and the sound really takes you into the game universe. The character models though are a touch lo-res and give them this slightly dated look. But there is still a lot of variety in the characters and the acting, story and sound and, best of all, puzzling make this a surprisingly pleasant experience. I don't think it's reputation is too good but I think if you like adventure games, this should be played, no doubt.

I've heard that some people thought the controls are awkward, well, yeah, they are to a certain degree, but with a little practice it does become easier.

Yes, it would have been nice to see a completely new Tomb Raider game using the Shenmue/Headhunter/Quake 3 game engine, really utilising the DC's power,but these two games still suffice and I'd rather have them on DC than not !

Anyway, I wondered what everyone thought of the games, or whether anyone had played them.

Tachikoma
lithium

Re: Tomb Raider on DC

Post#2 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:07 pm

The game is a port of the PSX version, so I'm guessing it was literally a slightly enhanced resolution with a few tweaks.

I've not played this, but I'll round to it one day. TBH, the only Tomb Raider I genuinely liked is the very first one. Sequels reportedly emphasis action and story over puzzles and tombs, however I have heard that Revelation returns to the originals routes (but is also a very, very long game).
Don't make war! Play video games.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#3 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:45 pm

Yes I think both games are based on the PC/Ps1 versions and, like I said, they don't fully utilise the systems power. I played Revelations a few times over the years and, yes, it is a very long game, guaranteed to swallow up a large proportion of your life ! But Chronicles is way shorter. It's made up of a selection of different adventures from Lara's life and is quite a varied game despite its length.

Another game which is very similar to Tomb Raider is Arabian Nights. Nothing like the free flowing POP titles of recent times, it takes the Tomb Raider formula as it's blueprint. I know quite a few people who've stumbled across this title over the years and really enjoyed it. Oh, just so Pal users are wondering what I'm talking about, the game only came out in the US so you'd have to import it. Fortunately it's reasonably cheap to do so.

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#4 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:19 pm

I played the games back in the day in my PC, and while they hadn't top edge graphics even back at the time, they had good and pleasant graphics, so making them better on the DC would first involve making them better on the PC versions.

I really liked to play The Last Revelation, and even though I never finished it, I advanced quite a lot in it, I think I was not so far from the end. An unsolvable puzzle ended up the game for me, unfortunately. I still remember that I actually got numerous scares because of that game! The dark ambients and the music/ambient sound really set a spooky experience.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#5 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:48 pm

Yes, it's a really atmospheric game ! I think it's still a great thing that we have such famous and well liked games here on the DC. Most people back in the day knew Lara Croft from the Saturn, Ps1 and the PC , so it's kinda nice that we have enhanced versions of those games.

Can you remember how huge (ahem) Lara and the games were back in the day ? I remember her being on the front page of every magazine in the 90's, a real icon. But there was also this 'young boys ogling breasts' I never really got that, I mean not once do you get to see her breasts :roll: lol i also remember turn of girls playing the game and housewives up and down the country were getting into the games. So I think it was a media thing more than anything.

Can anybody remember the Land Rover chase in Last Revelation ? That was cool !

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#6 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:06 pm

I never got that too, the same way I don't get hentai :-P

The driving parts were great, but what I loved the most was the crossbar with the incendiary and explosive arrows! And I really loved the Egypt theme of the game!

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#7 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Yeah, the Egyptian setting is really evocative. Also, the way the game convinces you that you're an intrepid explorer in a far flung place, it's always the sign of a good game I think.

sverige-warrior
core

Post#8 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:08 am

Currently on my first play through of last revelation really enjoying it I did beat chronicles a while back though
what can you tell me about that day the snow turned to rain?

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#9 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:42 pm

I think the last revelation was a lot better than chronicles. chronicles was very lame imo. they just had to contractually make a 5th tomb raider game.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#10 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:26 pm

Its been almost two years iv been slowly picking away at the original tomb raider on the Saturn. Its a great game with lots of great puzzle solving, reason it has taken me so long is because im doing it with out the help of a guide, and that i have zip time :) And that music! so good. Have never beat the last revelation but seemed more or less the same