Take the Bullet Beta GD-ROMs Found! + More!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Take the Bullet Beta GD-ROMs Found! + More!

Post#41 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:33 pm

I would also like to add that this year is great for hardware as well. "Official" DreamCon wireless controller was released. Also, while technically last years products, the GDEmu and USBGDRom Controller went more mainstream this year, what with Stone age gamer stocking the USB devices, and Denuan continuing to push out the GDEmu these devices are going to come in really handy in the future when disc drives all die. We now have the DreamPI, a build it yourself, self contained PC-DC server that is run fully automated on a tiny Rapsberry Pi computer with a USB fax modem. I could see people selling kits for these.

I read that this has been the most prolific year for indie games, with us getting over 10 thus far, and the year isn't over yet.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#42 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:17 pm

The Take the Bullet beta looks awesome I really hope it gets released. Is there any updates about that?

I agree, what an amazing year for the indie scene. Even though I am not a fan at all of all the boring 2D indie games and Shmups they churn out, I still make a point to buy them all as the come out because I really respect what their doing for the scene and want to support it as much as possible.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#43 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:57 pm

Aaaaaand here's Renegade Racers!

PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#44 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:44 pm

I watched it on DCJY. Man, that would be so awesome to have on the DC. It looks finished at least, mostly due to the fact they built the PSX version first so they had a full game to work with and port.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#45 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:46 pm

Yet another unreleased game?! Is there anywhere to get it yet or will they be stingy and hoard it like Colin McRae and Take the Bullet? :? Mind you that Colin McRae had only like 1 playable level but still!!

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#46 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:55 pm

So no word on when and if they will be released at all??

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#47 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:56 pm

OGDCFAN99 wrote:Yet another unreleased game?! Is there anywhere to get it yet or will they be stingy and hoard it like Colin McRae and Take the Bullet? :? Mind you that Colin McRae had only like 1 playable level but still!!

Stingy? Hoarding? ... C'mon man have some respect, Tom has gone out of his way to give us footage of these games running, as where there was no footage at all before, heck hardly anyone heard of Renegade Races for Dreamcast before.

You, me and many others would gladly see these games released/leaked, but we're not entitled to them in any way.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#48 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:31 pm

Tom doesn't actually own any of these games with the exception of Take the Bullet which was given to him by the actual owner of the games. The owner is a friend of his who is an ex-Sega employee. He's currently looking into the legality of releasing them, so whether they will be or not is up in the air at this point. You have to keep in mind that some of these companies are still around, including Codemasters, so chances are, he would need permission from them or legally he can't release them.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#49 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:16 pm

Of course no disrespect was intended towards Tom or anybody so sorry Tom if your reading this I didn't mean it that way, I follow your blog and podcast closely and am fully aware of the situation and the legality of it. I think that everything you guys do is great and look forward to seeing how this unravels.

And yeah I don't know about you guys but having seen this new footage of Take the Bullet has me just...drooling to try it out! lol. I mean, that's big news! Like Propeller Arena and Half Life were! Even Toejam and Earl being released had me glued to the screen for a week straight. Do you remember playing those games on your Dreamcast for the first time how badass it was? A new 3D game for the Dreamcast that you've actually never played.

But man It would be a sad day if they decided not to release it due to legal reasons..I just highly doubt that a developer would sue over a 14 year old cancelled game and I also doubt that they would have kept "tabs" on which former employees have copies of their old beta games so if it did get released they would know who leaked it.

That being said, please DON'T GET ME WRONG: being sued is a risk that should not be taken lightly and I do acknowledge that the right steps must be taken so before leaking copyrighted material.

If I sounded entitled that was my bad, I didn't mean to.

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#50 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:27 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Tom doesn't actually own any of these games with the exception of Take the Bullet which was given to him by the actual owner of the games. The owner is a friend of his who is an ex-Sega employee. He's currently looking into the legality of releasing them, so whether they will be or not is up in the air at this point. You have to keep in mind that some of these companies are still around, including Codemasters, so chances are, he would need permission from them or legally he can't release them.

That's really interesting because the legalities of all of that should be there, and is a good thing. But on the other hand if the floodgates were opened to release stuff like this and opensource, for the sake of argument, everything ever released or not released for this thing. Then the console itself would just flourish. Extremely more so than when this thing was new

What makes all this stuff so appealing to myself at least, is the amount of content and modifications the community has made for it. Even more so than any console/community out there. And i think we see posts every year saying "this is the year of the dreamcast" because slowly but steadily the console has gotten better and better with each passing year. New stuff is always being made and discovered. And games are still being brought back online. A cheap, minimal setup modern dialup solution was just developed specifically to play Sega Dreamcast online. That's really awesome

http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2 ... ealed.html
Let it be known that the anonymous benefactor who allowed me to sample this game also had a lot more stuff to show me. And I was allowed to take footage. Think you've seen everything the Dreamcast has to offer? Think again! Over the next couple of weeks The Dreamcast Junkyard will be bringing you video of unreleased Dreamcast games you've never even heard of. Watch this space...

http://blog.kazade.co.uk/2015/08/sega-w ... ld-we.html
Patents are Expiring

The Dreamcast was released at the tail end of 1998. Given that patents only last 20 years in most countries, and that most of the Dreamcast patents (e.g. for the GD-ROM) were patented in 1997, the Dreamcast will essentially be free to clone in a couple of years.

There's even better news though. The SH4 CPU which the Dreamcast uses will no longer be patented in 2016 and the Open Processor Foundation is already working on their own version. It's not unlikely that at some point in the next 3-4 years there will be a "J4" system-on-a-chip (SOC) available, it's also probable that any SH4-clone SOC will be higher spec'd than the Dreamcast was, with some kind of OpenGL ES based GPU built in.

If an SH4 based SOC was released, the rest of the problems to solve involve software, peripherals and packaging.

My point is since there is all this very current stuff still happening, eventually because of the efforts of the community the Dreamcast will pretty much gain state of permanent relevancy as a video game system. And that is really cool
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net