Monaco Grand Prix: Racing Simulation 2 - Is there two different versions?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
DreamcastUK
brutal

Monaco Grand Prix: Racing Simulation 2 - Is there two different versions?

Post#1 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:53 am

Hi guys

Just wanted to know if anyone else has come across this and if the games are different in any way.

Monaco Grand Prix: Racing Simulation 2

Some people list when selling this game it is Monaco Grand Prix 2 or its Racing Simulation 2, and then when you look at different peoples listings or on images via search engines they have a combination of front covers , manuals and CDs, so was the original and sequel released for the Dreamcast or did different parts of Europe have a different name for the game for the front cover but pressed it differently on the CD and manual.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (53.99 KiB) Viewed 6932 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (30.8 KiB) Viewed 6932 times
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

krssn
Metallic

Re: Monaco Grand Prix: Racing Simulation 2 - Is there two different versions?

Post#2 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:29 am

A five second 'Monaco Grand Prix: Racing Simulation 2' Google search would've given you this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaco_Grand_Prix_(video_game)

Scroll down to the 'trivia' section...

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#3 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:53 am

Ouch, that (kinda) shut me up...

Yes I saw that which is why I wondered why different ones have different CDs and covers as you can see by my images.

Look at image one, different front cover to cd and manual so guess people are listing the German version front case with he English game and manual?
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

krssn
Metallic

Post#4 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:45 am

Unfortunately I have the other version of the game.

But, another quick 'dreamcast racing simulation' search, this time on images, gave me this:

https://www.google.be/search?q=dreamcast+racing+simulation&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjEu9v2yP7JAhWH0hoKHU0gDIQQ_AUIBygB&biw=1920&bih=1085#imgrc=_

First two lines already have 3 images with that disc / box / manual combination.

So I'd say it's 'normal' to have a different manual cover with this version.

Still, most fucked up game title shit I've ever seen...

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#5 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:34 am

Thanks for the links, the only reason why the question came about was because I noticed on the dcserv site http://www.dcserv.org/?page_id=12 it mentions that th game is coming back online, as there is so many different versions and this one pictured which mentioned online (I think it was an early screenshot of cover art as I haven't seen a copy of it looking like this) just wanted to know which copy to get to play online
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (51.87 KiB) Viewed 6921 times

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

krssn
Metallic

Post#6 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:10 pm

The game came in two versions. You'll need to buy the on-line version as seen in that last pic you posted.

It does indeed exist, but is more rare than the off-line version.

Check eBay regularly. Sometimes a cheap copy comes up. As was the case with this one:

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Racing-Simu ... SwcBhWX07I

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#7 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:32 pm

It's interesting that the US version looks nothing like that.

Also did the On-Line version come out here? I've never seen a US copy of it.

krssn
Metallic

Post#8 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:39 pm

It did come out here, but I don't think over there...

Here is just a matter of perspective... :P

In other words, I don't think there's a US on-line version of the game.

Unless someone can prove me wrong?...

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#9 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:02 pm

Never knew about this so I checked e-bay. Typically sellers have high mark-ups for the online version due to apparent rarity. Frankly the only thing on e-bays that's not rare is the uses of the word "Rare" for any old tat. Rare 1970's slippers... made in china...

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#10 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:47 am

I'm glad it was only be that didn't realise there were a couple of different versions online and offline, like speed Devils.

Also there is Pod 2 (PAL) and Pod Speedracer (US) but say online but on dcserv it only shows as Pod Speedracer in development to come back online.

There seems to be PAL versions that differ slightly.

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor