Let's talk about SA1

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Let's talk about SA1

Post#1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:44 pm

I've just decided to make a little topic just dedicated to discussions about Sonic Adventure (and maybe Sonic Adventure 2, but mostly Sonic Adventure).

I'll start by saying an uncommon statement. I don't think Big's fishing stages are that bothersome. They're a little frustrating sometimes, but I don't have much of a problem with them. I find the fact that you have to fight the Chaos 4 boss 3 times more tedious and bothersome.

But still, it is one of my favourite games, and is easily in the top 3. There were just a few things that I would change, like having to fight Chaos 4 3 times. Another one would be the ability to skip cutscenes (though they fixed this in all versions since).

So, yeah. I want to hear your guys' opinions, so start below, if you'd like.
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Re: Let's talk about SA1

Post#2 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:59 pm

Only that I want to get a copy of this when I can. I never completed it back in the day.

kikenovic
rebel

Post#3 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:33 pm

It is indeed my favorite game of all time. The way I prefer to tackle this fantastic epic is, play as Sonic first, unlock everyone. Then play as Big, then Knuckles. Then I can enjoy the game.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#4 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:39 pm

One thing that has always bothered me is that there's a major plot hole in whole idea of Eggman possessing ancient creatures like Chaos and how that came to be a recurring plot in many other sonic games to come. From what I hears, it was explained in Sonic Xtreme, but everyone know what became of that. This plot hole even lingered into Sonic 2006 with Eggman interest towards Solaris.

Another thing that has also bothered me is that the physics and the controls are the most stable out of all of the 3D Sonic game, but never took full advantage where each level is designed with these oversights and flaws in mind. The one glaring problem being that the spindash can be spammed almost infinitely to the point where if you controlled it just right it can break level geometry. This in return would be used towards your advantage to beating the current record holder. Not that would of mattered back in the day because Sonic Team omitted these kinds of speedrunners towards any contest they hosted.

This game could of even benefited being a Action RPG with the level of depth to it. It was even shown off early on in development as the tentative name of the game was Sonic RPG. But with that set aside, even if the game was only in development for 10 months, this is one of my all time favorite games in the franchise period.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Post#5 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:07 pm

Only in development for 10 months?! Dang, that's impressive!

I also kind of like Big's theme song. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

-Some plebs at IGN

LG18
undertow

Post#6 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:28 pm

I liked the game.
I think, despite its flaws, it accomplished allot of what the 2D games did - it brought something slightly different to the table for platforming games.

The series as a whole had allot more attitude than the Mario games and the numerous Mario esq games developed afterwards.

When the jump the 3D came, that difference was still there, most games copying Mario 64 while Sonic adventure took it's own path, and that paid off in my opinion.

The style, the music, the stages, the ability to play through different story's with other characters was cool.
I never played he second game.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#7 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:33 pm

It was good, probably in my top 10 games for the console.

Honestly I never really minded Big's stages, they were out of place, sure, but not terrible. Gamma was awesome and I was so ticked when (SPOILERS) he died.

Also I'm resisting the urge to comment on the spam topic that showed up.

segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

Post#8 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:32 am

Amen

I got it on 9.9.99, when just got my masters in Visual Communication Design... a big inspiration and a huge learning tool for my future work in animation and games. I still love it and still play it, for me its better than Mario64 (the one considered the best 3D plarformer of all time, imo its thanks to ever powerful internet 'parroting journalism' and copy/paste opinions).

Presbytier
rebel

Post#9 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:56 pm

A flawed gem for certain and I was sorely disappointed when the hub world was jettisoned for SA2.
“Never pay more than 20 bucks for a game.” Guybrush Threepwood

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Post#10 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:16 am

Yeah, I didn't like SA2 that much. I just found the controls a little too stiff. And those agonizing seconds just waiting for Sonic to start revving up in a ball after you pressed the button...

...seriously, that move that you use to break the boxes is pointless.

-Some plebs at IGN