Let's talk about SA1

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Re: Let's talk about SA1

Post#21 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:51 pm

While on the topic of characters in SA1 that are not as fun to play as, I never open up the full tank in Big's Hot Shelter. Every time I try to fish for anything, it just, you know, disappears on me or something. I had to learn the hard way to get that tip.

This is noted in Somecallmejohnny's Sonic Adventure review at 23:15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z13eY1NdP6g
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Post#22 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:31 pm

Also, new best Emerald Coast time! 1:31:68!

That was one the DX version. And no, I didn't do a bunch of glitches to get it.
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#23 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:55 am

Presbytier wrote:
dan1234 wrote:You can look back at the half-life games and realize that you're just being led through a linear sequence of maps. But at the time it was incredible. As games age it's easier to look back at their flaws. SA1 and 2 are masterpieces when compared to where the industry was at the time in terms of the 3D platformer

I don't know man. This seems to be overly generous especially when compared to comparable action platformers like Mario 64 or even action adventure games like Soul Reaver and Ocarina of Time. I like SA1 and tolerate SA2, but lets not kid ourselves SA1 was terribly obtuse with considerably inconsistent design decisions and SA2 was over designed and made too linear to over correct SA1 worst design decisions.

I don't consider these to be bad games, but by no means where they masterpieces by any stretch of the definition even in there own time. SA1 crowning achievement was just the sense of speed you could feel while playing Sonic in a 3D environment but the controls where never righ and to this day Sonic Team struggles to find solid controls for 3D Sonic games.

how on earth could anyone imply that mario 64 was better than sonic adventure?