has Shenmue aged well??

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Re: has Shenmue aged well??

Post#21 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:51 pm

That being said, Shenmue fans are not like most gamers. Were the ones who played Myst non stop back in the day. You have to have a broader outlook to be able to appreciate Shenmue for what it is, boring and tedious gameplay or not. The Japanese were almost arrogant, in a way, to be soooooooo confident that this game would gain mass appeal to go spend that much money on it.

But Still, I'm glad they did because its still one of the most unique franchises.

Dbarker89
undertow

Post#22 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:04 pm

OGDCFAN99 wrote:That being said, Shenmue fans are not like most gamers. Were the ones who played Myst non stop back in the day. You have to have a broader outlook to be able to appreciate Shenmue for what it is, boring and tedious gameplay or not. The Japanese were almost arrogant, in a way, to be soooooooo confident that this game would gain mass appeal to go spend that much money on it.

But Still, I'm glad they did because its still one of the most unique franchises.

Yeah, a masterpiece that caused further financial damage to Sega. Very ambitious for the time.

Were they arrogant or just overly optimistic?

Either way the games engagement of 1 out of 10 console owners in an install base over 9 million, just wasn't enough....not enough at all.

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#23 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:37 pm

I knew Shenmue was a financial disaster to Sega. That was one of my arguments for the Shenmue 3 kickstarter being created. as for the controls issues, it can be easily overcome. With a great atmosphere, story-line, and amazing graphics for 1999 standards it makes for one of the Dreamcast's graphical showpiece on what it can do. For the Japanese side of the fan-base acting like that now makes a lot of sense to me since we weren't optimistic about the game to be successful where I'm from. Now trying to get people to play a glorified walking simulator like Everyone has Gone to the Rapture makes a lot of sense for a transition to Shenmue.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

georgiaboi372
lithium

Post#24 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:08 pm

Okay. So i found a discussion on this forum http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?5 ... Game/page7
and the user Giorgio did a fantastic explanation on the center gravity of the game and how you should look at it. the whole thread was very intense and an interesting read actually, i suggest yall check it out. So from what i got out of studying; Shenmue is basically a "Life simulator" that pays close attention to detail within its hardware limits (and 1999 limits). Its the first free roam sandbox game of its own (GTA without the destruction). Correct me if i'm wrong but what makes this game linear to the story is on account of conversing with NPC's to figure out where to go next. is anything i'm saying accurate?

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#25 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:43 pm

They were overly ambitious to make such a game for 2000 standards. And by such a game I mean everything your quoting from that other thread.

They were arrogant to think that our culture would like the franchise so much that wed buy enough copies to justify their overly inflated budget. They've used this flawed business model on many of their failed products from the past. Tom Kalinske called it "the Sega way" in one of his interviews referring to Sega of Japan's management at the time.

Georgia you're right, I think that's different topic all together but no one's arguments are incorrect IMO.

georgiaboi372
lithium

Post#26 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:56 pm

OGDCFAN99 wrote:They were overly ambitious to make such a game for 2000 standards. And by such a game I mean everything your quoting from that other thread.

They were arrogant to think that our culture would like the franchise so much that wed buy enough copies to justify their overly inflated budget. They've used this flawed business model on many of their failed products from the past. Tom Kalinske called it "the Sega way" in one of his interviews referring to Sega of Japan's management at the time.

Georgia you're right, I think that's different topic all together but no one's arguments are incorrect IMO.

Different topic all together?? But what i'm asking is connected to my questioning on wether or not this game is good and wether or not its worth buying in 2016

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#27 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:08 pm

The answer is yes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

georgiaboi372
lithium

Post#28 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:15 pm

scaryred24 wrote:The answer is yes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

No offense scaryred24 but your opinion is kind of irrelevent due to not having any experience with the game either. but thanks anyways i guess

Dbarker89
undertow

Post#29 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Coincidentally, believe it or not I did win both games in excellent condition on ebay today.

Both games for £70.00, I foolishly sold my old copies years ago to help my brother raise a bit of money. Completed the first and only got half way through on the second.

Cant wait to experience again from scratch. By today's standards this once revolutionary game does look outdated, no doubt about it.

On the other hand I still believe it has the power to immerse gamers into the experience.

Sega may have been naive & arrogant in it's conjuration, yet it's awesome they invested so much into a game that to this day feels as if it was for the benefit of the players.

It makes me wonder why Sega went ahead with the sequel. Sega essentially produced an iconic series, at the detriment to their own financial health.

Guess the risk taking element was one of the few bold tactics to sway consumers away from the lurking shadow of the Playstation 2.

krssn
Metallic

Post#30 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:40 pm

Do you like Hang-On and Space Harrier?...

If yes, just buy the game.

If you don't wanna avenge your father you can always waste your time in the Arcade.

FYI, the Arcade in the game has perfect and playable conversions of both games.

Shenmue II has Outrun and Afterburner.