DC SD card ISO's for Dreamshell... where are they?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dafivehole
rebel

DC SD card ISO's for Dreamshell... where are they?

Post#1 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:14 am

I've seen the ones on www.theisozone.com but there seem to be only a few decent games out of the 400 they have listed... many of the games that I'm looking for are nowhere to be found... I can't seem to find them on the internet.

I'm assuming that these have to be special ISO's just for the SD cards?

Thank you,
Roger

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: DC SD card ISO's for Dreamshell... where are they?

Post#2 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:45 am

Most commercial games don't work with DreamShell, because they have streaming music. Only games with sequenced music work with DreamShell; any game with CDDA or ADX audio requires too much bandwidth for the serial port to handle and thus is pointless to convert to SDISO format. DreamShell is mostly useful for homebrew.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

dafivehole
rebel

Post#3 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:46 am

Well that makes sense... thank you.

Roger

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#4 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:49 pm

Yeah its a shame the speed of the serial port is so slow.

Ive tried about a dozen SDISO's of retail games on Dreamshell. Granted they all worked well enough but either had longer than normal load times, glitches, or all the music was removed. The 2 games that I found to be most worth playing via SD are RECV and Headhunter.

The runner up (as far as games ive tried) would be which Q3A which works very well and loads almost as fast as the GD does, but lacks music.

What SDISOs of retail games have you guys tried that work well? Aleron I'm sure you've got some good opinions?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#5 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:17 am

OGDCFAN99 wrote:Aleron I'm sure you've got some good opinions?

Sure. I think you should buy your games instead of pirating them, and then you won't need to worry about serial port performance. :mrgreen:

I do have one of the adapters, but I determined that neither it nor DreamShell was very useful, as I wanted to be able to play my games with streaming audio and without a cumbersome menu. I got a GDEMU instead, which allows me to play all of my backups without stuttering or bugs. :D I had to buy a second Dreamcast to use for dumping any new games I get, but thankfully Dreamcasts don't cost all that much.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#6 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Haha true true.. good thing I'm only 12 games away from a complete US set ;) So you use Dreamshell to dump the games with the extra console you got? But yeah...Games are buggy and theirs far superior emulators available for other 128bit systems. Even DCplaya wont play MP3's from SD that are above 128kbps :lol:

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#7 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:14 pm

OGDCFAN99 wrote:What SDISOs of retail games have you guys tried that work well?

Demolition Racer: No Exit comes to mind. Plays flawlessly on via the SD card reader, even with music.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#8 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:16 pm

Great thanks for the input ill have to try that one for curiosity's sake.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#9 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:46 pm

OGDCFAN99 wrote:So you use Dreamshell to dump the games with the extra console you got?

No, I use a BBA with httpd-ack to dump games.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#10 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:33 am

OGDCFAN99 wrote:What SDISOs of retail games have you guys tried that work well?

Sonic Adventure plays flawlessly with the exception of the FMVs being slightly jerky.
aka DavidHK on DC games.