The Dreamcast Scene Is On The Verge Of Death And No One Seems To Notice

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Dreamcaseal
letterbomb

Re: The Dreamcast Scene Is On The Verge Of Death And No One Seems To Notice

Post#11 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:11 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:...yet you still care enough to come on a Dreamcast forum to troll everybody.

I don't care at all about Dreamcast it was jsut a part of my past life, lol. Ive seen you on the PSOBB third party server forums still etc. You poor soul... ill admit i may check up on some of these communities to see if theres any interesting changes going on doesnt mean im gonna buy another dreamcast or actually play PSO again.

treyldog
undertow

Post#12 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:57 pm

Wow, wasn't expecting that strong a reaction, but i said dispute me on this, witch means i have to at least TRY to defend my point.
And this might be inaccurate/false, but isn't there a Kickstarter for a 3D game that's also coming for the Dreamcast, and it's 3D so that would make it the first 3D Dreamcast game by an indie dev!

yes, there is, and i'm just as hyped as the next guy, but 3D games cost alot of money, and that greatly increases risk, if they fail to sell enough copies on another platform, the whole thing falls through and that runs the chance of one less DC indie dev.

they're also developing the game to make money, and developing exclusively for the Dreamcast isn't a good business decision. There's a lot of time and hard work that goes into game development so you logically want as many people to be able to play your game as possible and you also want to get a good return on your investment. It's one thing if you're developing a game simply as a hobby, but otherwise it just makes sense to release the game on multiple platforms.

yes, but most, not all, but MOST of these new games come out on PC platforms, and i've seen a few on 3DS, where it is all to easy for your game to be lost among the boundless other games that come out for them, if these versions fail, then with something as costly to make as a 3D game, it isn't to far fetched for a company to fall through due to a failure, witch, once again, reduces the number of DC devs by one.

...yet you still care enough to come on a Dreamcast forum to troll everybody.

i'm not trying to troll anyone, i'm genuinely concerned about the DC community and how no-one seems to notice that it might be walking a fine line

And as for online games, i have no worry that these will continue to come back and be supported, my argument pertains solely to the new games coming out on the Dreamcast

krssn
Metallic

Post#13 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:28 pm

treyldog wrote:
...yet you still care enough to come on a Dreamcast forum to troll everybody.

I'm not trying to troll anyone, I'm genuinely concerned about the DC community and how no-one seems to notice that it might be walking a fine line.

And as for online games, I have no worry that these will continue to come back and be supported, my argument pertains solely to the new games coming out on the Dreamcast

Always check who's replying to who... ;)

Question. Have you already played (and finished) all the good games the dreamcast has to offer?...

Personally I wouldn't mind if the DC never had a new game ever again. I'm happy with the ones we got, and there's still more than enough good games on other (retro) consoles for me to not care about new games. Which doesn't mean I don't appreciate new games coming out for DC, mind you...

Roel
Developer

Post#14 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:49 am

treyldog wrote:but 3D games cost alot of money (...) something as costly to make as a 3D game

Oh, poppycock. 3D games aren't necessarily more or less costly to develop than 2D ones. It all depends on the size and scope of the project. If a project requires large amounts of animation, 3D is almost certainly much cheaper than 2D.

(Please note that my statement above is not related to Xenocider, it's just about 2D/3D in general.)

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#15 » Fri May 13, 2016 4:08 am

Also, let me state for the record, Xenocider is not the first 3D homebrew game ever on the Dreamcast. Lets not forget Hypertension has been in development since at least 2008 or 2009, and it is a full on 3D FPS game. It is Indie and should be coming out sometime in the future, although it has taken a long time to create such an ambitious project.

Also there is Phenoms new FPS project that has been in development for over a year or more. It is also going to be an indie release.

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#16 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:01 am

I wouldn't say it's on the verge of death at all.

As far as games appearing on other consoles plus the Dreamcast, hey that's just the cost of doing business to get some of these titles on the Dreamcast in the first place. It personally doesn't affect me if some of these games are on other consoles, and I doubt it affects you guys either cause we love the Dreamcast, so guess what...if a cool new Dreamcast game is made available to us to buy...we're gonna get it on the DC no matter what hence supporting the Dreamcast release.

The next advancement and hopefully the future of indy Dreamcast games, would be titles that someone else said...rival that of retail releases. That's hopefully the future for the system. These servers getting brought back is a big deal I think. If we see the online community of gamers grow to where there is a steady flow of people online...then hell you might even see a new game with multiplayer.

I personally think the future is quite bright

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#17 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:11 am

I like how that one troll says he doesn't own a DC, won't be buying one or playing PSO again...yet takes the time to see what's new in the DC scene. If your not playing a DC, don't care about the DC, then who cares what's going on in the DC Community in the first place?

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#18 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:15 am

Although, I will agree that PSOBB in general does kinda make PSO on the DC irrelevant because it's certainly the definitive version of the game without question, however...Dreamcast isn't at all defined offline or online by PSO so it's really not that big a deal.

Also, in regards to costs of games, 3D on today's platforms cost an insane amount of cash, I really doubt 3D graphics from nearly two decades ago is anywhere in the same ball park of production costs.

alexh86
lithium

Post#19 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:55 am

Since the console went away and stopped getting new games, the Dreamcast scene never has been and never will be big. It's a small community of dedicated fans, most of whom have loved the console for nearly 20 years. Frankly, it's amazing that anything new is coming out for the console and that any games can be played online today. A small community of rabid fans will always be here just because we love to play the old Dreamcast games now and then.

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#20 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 am

Definately. There's plenty of other older consoles that are completely dead in the water and probably will be forever. I'm pretty thankfull the Dreamcast still even has the pulse it has today