Official Sega Saturn NetLink Guide

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Re: Official Sega Saturn NetLink VOIP Guide

Post#521 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:40 pm

I'll start re-building these so they're Fenrir compatible, test, and get the dreampipe downloads updated. There won't be any functional difference between these and the old versions, so if the old versions are working for people you're OK to keep using them. Fenrir is just really picky about format apparently.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#522 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:49 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:I'll start re-building these so they're Fenrir compatible, test, and get the dreampipe downloads updated. There won't be any functional difference between these and the old versions, so if the old versions are working for people you're OK to keep using them. Fenrir is just really picky about format apparently.

Like hawkzer0, I have tested v5 and it works perfectly! Thank you SEGA RPG FAN for putting in the time and effort into fixing this problem and for your future work rebuilding the files - you are a genuine legend!

So to return to the topic at hand, I have now seen both the US and JP Xband screens and the JP version seems better - is this a misunderstanding on my end?

For example it has a CHALLENGE option. This doesn't work, however. It says the DEMO only supports peer-to-peer so this seems to be the old (and defunct) server-based online mode. This option isn't why I think the JP version seems better, just adding it.
PLAYER LIST - I haven't seen this option on the US version. On the US version you have to dial people directly, which is also how this Player List function works. However the US edition doesn't seem to include the ability to save people to a Player List like this - requiring you to input unique IPs each time. Have I got this wrong?
X-MAIL - No longer functioning email reader. Not likely to be of much use to anyone since even the DC struggles with more modern email accounts now.
STATS - I couldn't find this on the US versions, essentially a tracking win/lose ratio. It has things like XBAND Points and XBAND Level, so this may be defunct as it may require the XBAND Registration and server.
PLAYER INFO - Mostly the same as US (Though has different Character Avatars), however there is an additional Personal Info option to add a mini-bio for yourself. Not sure where this would be of much use, but defo a cool extra.

I don't yet have my VOIP adapter, so I haven't been able to get my XBAND modem online yet, so I'm just looking in awe at all this "new" stuff lol

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#523 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:26 pm

The xband version had the full feature set, so yeah you could say it was better. Unfortunately the patched games are using a stripped down developer version intended for testing basic peer to peer function so all those extra things don't work. We can't even specify a unique player name. But...we can play the games!
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#524 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:44 am

Awesome! Let us know once you've done it. You rock dude

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#525 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:10 pm

SEGA RPG FAN sent me and hawkzer0 a potential fix we could test ourselves. I'm leaving my results here, however due to the potentially missing redump images I couldn't do every title. At the very least if I can't get a redump copy, SEGA RPG FAN will be left with only 3 potential titles to patch instead of the majority of the list.

A massive thank you to SEGA RPG FAN btw, he didn't have to work so hard to fix an issue that affected a small portion of players (Though with the upcoming 20/21 pin variant of the Fenrir, that will likely grow as it'll accommodate all models of Saturn). As you can see, we're pretty much fully in the green now. Just three SegaNet JP titles that I couldn't find redumps for (two of which are available and working on NetLink anyway).

NetLink Titles
Daytona USA CE NetLink Edition PATCH FIXED THE GAME
Duke Nukem 3D PATCH FIXED THE GAME
Saturn Bomberman PATCH FIXED THE GAME
Sega Rally Championship Plus No issues
Virtual On PATCH FIXED THE GAME

SegaNet JP Titles
Battle Cubes Boots when no XBAND data in internal memory, SEGA RPG FAN fixing this issue
Daytona USA CE Remix PATCH FIXED THE GAME
DecAthlete PATCH FIXED THE GAME
Puyo Puyo Sun No issues
Puzzle Bobble 3 No issues
Saturn Bomberman PATCH FIXED THE GAME
Sega Rally Championship Plus PATCH FIXED THE GAME
Sega Worldwide Soccer 98 PATCH FIXED THE GAME
Shadows of the Tusk No issues
Virtua Fighter Remix No issues
Virtual On PATCH FIXED THE GAME

Unpatched JP SegaNet Titles
Dragon's Dream (not patched)
Habitat II (not patched)
Pad Nifty (not patched)
Pad Nifty 1.1 & Habitat II (not patched)
Sega Internet 1 (not patched)
Sega Internet 2 (not patched)
Special Disc with Saturn Internet 2 (not patched)

Xranger60
shadow

Post#526 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:25 am

Just wanted to come back in to applaud you guys on the hard work, especially with patching these games, finding the ideal VOIP settings, etc. Between these developments and ODEs becoming much more widely available, NetLink is living on in a way that would've been hard to foresee just a few years back.

I'll have to hop in and play some of you soon!

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#527 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:05 pm

May anyone point me to the Saturn System Disc please

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#528 » Thu May 20, 2021 3:10 am

I've been notified that the Phantom modchip does not bypass region lock-out even! Luckily my secondary Saturn has a toggle-switch to choose between US/JP

So do I like to keep this switch? Do not want an extra step before ImgBurn

Xiden
Developer

Post#529 » Thu May 20, 2021 11:10 am

mistamontiel wrote:I've been notified that the Phantom modchip does not bypass region lock-out even! Luckily my secondary Saturn has a toggle-switch to choose between US/JP

So do I like to keep this switch? Do not want an extra step before ImgBurn

If you're burning your games you can simply use this tool https://segaxtreme.net/resources/sega-s ... atcher.73/
and change the region of games via a patch. Modchips do not override the patches though you are correct.

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#530 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:15 am

Alrighty - I've got my NetLink and VOIP adapter and I'm all set up to go. Problem is, my crappy router has a 5 number character limit when entering ports to forward. As such, I can't simply enter "16384 - 16482" (see the image below)

Anyone have any suggestions? Also, I'm not sure what to enter for "Internal IP address" - it's asking me to enter up to 3 numbers (the part in black is an IP address and is not editable - I think it's my default gateway).

Finally, any idea what I should enter for "Internal Port"?

Thanks!

port forward.jpg

EDIT: I figured out how to set the range, but still not sure about "Internal IP address"...?
aka DavidHK on DC games.