Official Sega Saturn NetLink Guide

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Xiden
Developer

Re: Official Sega Saturn NetLink VOIP Guide

Post#501 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:27 am

Roareye wrote:Okay, cleaned it out and it's working. I'm surprised at how gross the cart slot was considering everything else is super clean.

I have the US NetLink modem, those games are booting into the XBand menu just fine. The Japanese SegaNet modem games don't boot into XBand (I presume because they used a different system). Do I need a patch to make these compatible with the NetLink?

Are you using the http://saturn.dreampipe.net patched games?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#502 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:54 am

Oh cool! What do patched games do, work on both region modems?

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#503 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:33 am

mistamontiel wrote:Oh cool! What do patched games do, work on both region modems?

Patched Netlink games have max speed capped at 14.4k and work with either modem. Patched Xband games boot with either modem, capped at 14.4k and have direct dial functionality bypassing the long gone matching server.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#504 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:39 am

Some to re-burn and some discover first time sure beats breaking bank for the other modem!

Thank ye kindly!!

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#505 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:10 am

Roareye wrote:Okay, cleaned it out and it's working. I'm surprised at how gross the cart slot was considering everything else is super clean.

I have the US NetLink modem, those games are booting into the XBand menu just fine. The Japanese SegaNet modem games don't boot into XBand (I presume because they used a different system). Do I need a patch to make these compatible with the NetLink?

Glad it was a simple fix! As for the patched games, many of them wont work with fenrir. The creator of fenrir got back to me and said he will work on it after he gets done with his 21 pin saturn fenrir variant.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#506 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:30 pm

Xiden wrote:

Are you using the http://saturn.dreampipe.net patched games?

Downloaded them, but those disc images don't work. The Fenrir just restarts constantly. I have working disc images, would they be of use to whoever made the patches?

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#507 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:44 pm

Roareye wrote:Downloaded them, but those disc images don't work. The Fenrir just restarts constantly. I have working disc images, would they be of use to whoever made the patches?

Yup for some reason, only some of the patched games work for me. Those ones that work are : JP puyo tsun, JP puzzle bobble, JP shadows of the tusk, JP virtua fighter, USA sega rally, and USA duke nukem. None of the other patched images work with my fenrir. Maybe sega rpg fan can enlighten us if there was a different process he used to patch the other ones.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#508 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:54 pm

hawkzer0 wrote:
Roareye wrote:Downloaded them, but those disc images don't work. The Fenrir just restarts constantly. I have working disc images, would they be of use to whoever made the patches?

Yup for some reason, only some of the patched games work for me. Those ones that work are : JP puyo tsun, JP puzzle bobble, JP shadows of the tusk, JP virtua fighter, USA sega rally, and USA duke nukem. None of the other patched images work with my fenrir. Maybe sega rpg fan can enlighten us if there was a different process he used to patch the other ones.

Damn. Well perhaps, as I have the US NetLink, I can just use the working disc images for those titles and just use the patched titles for working JP games?

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#509 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:16 pm

For sure. you can use the working patched games that I mentioned, and the retail images for the usa games( besides sega rally and duke nukem). just make sure you mention it when setting up a match. You'll have to clear out your netlink settings from the saturn memory when switching between patched and non patched images, however.
EDIT: Incorrect info
Last edited by hawkzer0 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#510 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:19 pm

hawkzer0 wrote:

They were all patched the same way which makes it odd that only some work. Do you both have issues with the same set of games?

The only differences would be the game title in the IP.Bin. I could try re-building a problem game with the official sega tools to see if it makes a difference. I didn't go that route because the tools are 16 bit which don't work in modern OSes and I didn't have a way to automate building the Saturn style disc layout file.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast