Official Sega Saturn NetLink Guide

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Xiden
Developer

Re: Official Sega Saturn NetLink VOIP Guide

Post#481 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:47 am

dcdingo wrote:Guys I need some help. When I try and run a patched JP xband game, I keep getting the message 'Sorry, this demo build only supports peer-to-peer connections. Please see the release notes for more information.' Has anyone got a clue what is going on? I played US Sega Rally fine, it just seems to be the JP games that are doing this to me.

If you are dialing using a jp game you have to name your
character m99999#

If you are waiting to be dialed name it s1.

If its giving you that error still then delete the save and try again. Its likely happening because you hit space then typed s1 or m99999# . There can be no spaces before or after name.

dcdingo
Quad Damage

Post#482 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:30 am

Xiden wrote:
dcdingo wrote:Guys I need some help. When I try and run a patched JP xband game, I keep getting the message 'Sorry, this demo build only supports peer-to-peer connections. Please see the release notes for more information.' Has anyone got a clue what is going on? I played US Sega Rally fine, it just seems to be the JP games that are doing this to me.

If you are dialing using a jp game you have to name your
character m99999#

If you are waiting to be dialed name it s1.

If its giving you that error still then delete the save and try again. Its likely happening because you hit space then typed s1 or m99999# . There can be no spaces before or after name.

Oh man it was that simple! I had put a space in at the beginning, I just didn't see it until I re-entered the username. Thanks Xiden!
PSO - Crimez (Lv136 FoNewm) / Revlis (Lv20 RaCast)
Anything else - dcdingo
YouTube Link

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#483 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:05 pm

I had this problem, it means the two users you created for the XBAND titles was done wrong.

You will have to go to the saturn memory manager and delete your config and start fresh.

For me i did not create the avatars like the documentation specifically said, so i would read the guide while creating them again.

tom9808
shadow

Post#484 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:45 pm

Is there a way to set up the VOIP Adapter with WIFI? I've had a netlink for over ten years and used to play analog line, but with the advancement of times I had to go digital. When the VOIP method came out, i immediately ordered an SPA1001 but never got around to setting it up. Now something like 2 years later I have the time thanks to COVID taking my hours away. Problem is I live with my brother who is a hardcore gamer and absolutely HAS to have his PS5 plugged in via Ethernet, so the router is in his and I'm SOL. Would really like to have a few beers and play some duke or sega rally online again!

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#485 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:21 pm

You can get a wifi range extender with an ethernet port for connecting extra wired devices

Xiden
Developer

Post#486 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:11 am

tom9808 wrote:Is there a way to set up the VOIP Adapter with WIFI? I've had a netlink for over ten years and used to play analog line, but with the advancement of times I had to go digital. When the VOIP method came out, i immediately ordered an SPA1001 but never got around to setting it up. Now something like 2 years later I have the time thanks to COVID taking my hours away. Problem is I live with my brother who is a hardcore gamer and absolutely HAS to have his PS5 plugged in via Ethernet, so the router is in his and I'm SOL. Would really like to have a few beers and play some duke or sega rally online again!

Wifi will doom your voip connection, please do not use wifi! Instead buy a unmanaged switch (I recommend tplink as it's cheap but amazing quality like 20-30 dollars). This will "split" the ethernet into 5 more connections and directly wire up your voip.

The next best option is to consider a powerline adapter (as long as you have a house built after 2000) It wont be as quick as directly connecting but significantly faster than wifi.

tom9808
shadow

Post#487 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:59 am

Xiden wrote:
tom9808 wrote:Is there a way to set up the VOIP Adapter with WIFI? I've had a netlink for over ten years and used to play analog line, but with the advancement of times I had to go digital. When the VOIP method came out, i immediately ordered an SPA1001 but never got around to setting it up. Now something like 2 years later I have the time thanks to COVID taking my hours away. Problem is I live with my brother who is a hardcore gamer and absolutely HAS to have his PS5 plugged in via Ethernet, so the router is in his and I'm SOL. Would really like to have a few beers and play some duke or sega rally online again!

Wifi will doom your voip connection, please do not use wifi! Instead buy a unmanaged switch (I recommend tplink as it's cheap but amazing quality like 20-30 dollars). This will "split" the ethernet into 5 more connections and directly wire up your voip.

The next best option is to consider a powerline adapter (as long as you have a house built after 2000) It wont be as quick as directly connecting but significantly faster than wifi.

Damn. Well, I'm not gonna run a giant ethernet cord thru the house and tape or staple it along the floor/roof, plus my house was built in 1986. Guess Im just gonna have to not play for now. :(

Xiden
Developer

Post#488 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:13 pm

tom9808 wrote:
Xiden wrote:

Damn. Well, I'm not gonna run a giant ethernet cord thru the house and tape or staple it along the floor/roof, plus my house was built in 1986. Guess Im just gonna have to not play for now. :(

You could get a retractable ethernet cable (that's what I use) when you want to play saturn just hook it up temporarily and then retract and store away when not in use :). You "might" be able to get away with using wif6 on a gaming quality router. VoIP cares way most about latency than anything.

tom9808
shadow

Post#489 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:09 pm

Akright guys, I finally got a chance to configure everything, so I followed all the instructions of the tutorial to a T and once I submit all the changes to the SPA1001 it tells me its doing the changes and will redirect me in 5 seconds.... that never happens. Once I try to reconnect to the ip the SPA1001 was assigned by my router, I no longer get any response/communication between the router and SPA1001 so I have to manually reset it. The only thing Im seeing thats standout different to the tutorial is My router IP starts with 10.0.0... and it supplies the SPA1001 with a similar IP. In the step where it says to set a static IP of you choosing, Im using 192.168... format of IP like the tutorial uses. Could this be the issue? not very tech savvy :/

tom9808
shadow

Post#490 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:02 am

UPDATE: Got it figured out, Nevermind! lol.