Problem with Mnemo board

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Hiker5
rebel

Problem with Mnemo board

Post#1 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:36 pm

I just received my new Mnemo board 3 days ago and after installing it for the first time have had problems running GDI files of any sort on my board. Firmware updates will not work and play like a music track instead of flashing the board. I receive a red screen when trying to load a GDI game. Below are photos of the issue and build I am attempting to use. Any help would be appreciated :)
Attachments
1469061268245-101173222.jpg
1469060889034-1793195295.jpg

Xiden
Developer

Re: Problem with Mnemo board

Post#2 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:28 pm

You arent using a VA2 Mothherboard Dreamcast are you? That could be one reason it wouldnt work.

First Id check to make sure its seated firmly on the motherboard. You might remove it and re-seat it just to make sure its got a firm connection.

You shouldn't need to update the firmware but here's a video on how its done. Just put the firmware file on the usb. (Also make sure your usb is formated to FAT32! or it will also cause problems)
Video on updating firmware https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG8zrO_LoNg

Below is the order of how I have things setup on mine.

Make sure you have LAUNCH DASHBOARD.iso or you wont be able to access your Dreamcast dashboard anymore.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:31 pm

also after update if "GDI" s are not working you need an additional update https://yadi.sk/d/bjF1gxE7rFQt2

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:35 pm

Just updated the firmware on mine. Everything on mine still seems to work. I also dropped that bin file I was talking about that fixes gdi issues in the root directory of my usb.

Hiker5
rebel

Post#5 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:15 pm

I have 3 Dreamcasts, a VA0 and two VA1. No success on any machine so far even after adding the additional update to root and file system is setup identical as yours. Firmware update does not work when launched either.

Update: Mnemo sent me another file to put on my root directory today. I tried this as well with no success. I've also made sure my USB drive is formatted properly, the only thing that seems to work are CDI's currently and almost all of them have audio issues or have trouble booting as if they don't selfboot.

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:28 pm

Dang sounds like a defective device then :(

Appears you've done everything right. For me when I run anything it works immediately, even cdis. So if its glitching up for you something got fried on that board.

Sorry man. Luckily for you he should be pretty easy to work with. You'll have to switch back to old skool cd's for now I suppose :(

Hiker5
rebel

Post#7 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:44 pm

Thanks for the help, I let Mnemo know the situation as well. I'm bit bummed that I'm going to have to wait another 2 and a half weeks though for a replacement :(

At least I can use CD's for now and it will give me time to setup the 1TB flash drive for the new unit when that arrives on Monday.