Model No HKT-3000 Made in Japan

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
wiohnl
noob

Model No HKT-3000 Made in Japan

Post#1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:04 pm

Hi everyone. I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post this
I never owned a Dreamcast despite dating this console online for years just now I found a HKT-3000 for sale I wonder if it's a good model for backups and regarding the laser quality

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Re: Model No HKT-3000 Made in Japan

Post#2 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:22 pm

It all depends how the seller used the thing. Lasers going is a common fate among the dreamcast community. It will happen sooner or later. It's like a ticking time bomb. You and the seller don't know how much longer it could last. Take it with a grain of salt, but it's generally a good idea to have a backup just encase.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

wiohnl
noob

Post#3 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:47 am

scaryred24 wrote:It all depends how the seller used the thing. Lasers going is a common fate among the dreamcast community. It will happen sooner or later. It's like a ticking time bomb. You and the seller don't know how much longer it could last. Take it with a grain of salt, but it's generally a good idea to have a backup just encase.

where I live dreamcast consoles are expensive, unfortunately. Is it possible to buy laser replacement? I plan to use it mostly burned CDR (imports mostly)

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#4 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:32 am

You can find laser unit complete with board but you need to seasch deeply on internet and more to chinese sites. Normally cost 30 $ and about shipping cost is free or pay something like 10$.

jdollatari
rebel

Post#5 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:25 am

ifixit has them i believe for like 40 and these days you can also mod it with gdemu which while expensive gets rid of the whole disc thing altogether for a sd card better long term solution and you can always do like i did and buy a couple of them and i heard you can use pc lasers which hold up better as well
It's still thinking :D