Light gun games revived on HDTV!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Re: Light gun games revived on HDTV!

Post#11 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:29 am

He wouldn't need one to sell them either. I would buy it as it is and I really do not see much competition for something like this.

SegaRenaissance
shadow

Post#12 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:32 pm

BlueCrab wrote:
SegaRenaissance wrote:I hope he has a patent and at least is considering branding his idea into a product. I'd definitely buy one!
There's nothing to patent. After all, he's just using the normal method that the Wiimote works to do this.

If he were to try to patent it, Nintendo's lawyers would be all over him in a heartbeat (and rightfully so).

Actually, Nintendo doesn't own the patent to the original Wii mote. Sega Holdings,Co,Ltd/Sega Games does.

So Nintendo wouldn't be able to do anything.(They had to redesign the Wii Mote) Because they don't own the patent design. Sega does.

Also, he SHOULD patent it, if he wants to own the idea. That's what Patents are for.
Owner and Operator of Sega United.com

SegaRenaissance
shadow

Post#13 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:40 pm

Gary_b wrote:He wouldn't need one to sell them either. I would buy it as it is and I really do not see much competition for something like this.

I do think it would be very capital idea for someone to patent and sell a peripheral that allows Light Gun compatibility with LED and LCD HDTVs. Light Guns only functioned with Cathodes, so to those like me who own a collage of retro consoles like the classic NES, Sega Saturn in both NTSC US and NSTC-J forms with a Stunner Light Gun that you can't even use currently.

I mean heck, there's alot of hearing impaired people irritated with the FCC for not embedding CC chips in HD monitors.

It wouldn't really need competition, as it would be a unique accessory on its own.

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#14 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:58 pm

You seem to misunderstand what patents are and what they aren't. You have to have something novel to patent it. There's nothing novel here -- all he's doing is stuff that has already been done. There's literally nothing to patent (unless he wanted a "design" patent on a finalized design for a device... but those are next to useless anyway).

Also, if you think that Nintendo doesn't have patents on the Wii Remote, you're very much mistaken. Sure, they've used technology covered by other patents (and licensed them properly, be it the "right" way or through the course of legal proceedings), but that doesn't mean that they don't have their own plethora of patents on it too.

Using a Wii Remote attached to a light gun isn't anything novel. He's literally using the Wii Remote exactly as it was designed to be used. The meat and potatoes of the whole thing is the Wii Remote figuring out where you're pointing -- which is exactly how it is designed to be used. Yes, it's clever what he's done, but it isn't novel. Clever doesn't get patents -- novel does.

Also, unless he was planning on selling quite literally at least hundreds of thousands of these devices, the costs of patenting it (and defending said patents) would quite possibly outweigh the potential income from it.

SegaRenaissance
shadow

Post#15 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:01 am

BlueCrab wrote:You seem to misunderstand what patents are and what they aren't. You have to have something novel to patent it. There's nothing novel here -- all he's doing is stuff that has already been done. There's literally nothing to patent (unless he wanted a "design" patent on a finalized design for a device... but those are next to useless anyway).

Also, if you think that Nintendo doesn't have patents on the Wii Remote, you're very much mistaken. Sure, they've used technology covered by other patents (and licensed them properly, be it the "right" way or through the course of legal proceedings), but that doesn't mean that they don't have their own plethora of patents on it too.

Using a Wii Remote attached to a light gun isn't anything novel. He's literally using the Wii Remote exactly as it was designed to be used. The meat and potatoes of the whole thing is the Wii Remote figuring out where you're pointing -- which is exactly how it is designed to be used. Yes, it's clever what he's done, but it isn't novel. Clever doesn't get patents -- novel does.

Also, unless he was planning on selling quite literally at least hundreds of thousands of these devices, the costs of patenting it (and defending said patents) would quite possibly outweigh the potential income from it.

Its not a misunderstanding(I and SU very well versed in patents), so much it is a basic idea. You can patent whatever you want. You just need to evolve it. It can be novel and clever, it just has to have a variation of the same concept or design. (Edit: I rewatched the video and payed more attention, and see what you mean and what your referring to.)

You are aware that the Sega Master System/Mark III had a Lightgun bundled with it 30 years ago that functioned entirely similar like the NES Zapper. You'll notice Nintendo never went after them because they couldn't. Sega simply had a different variation with a similar(not identical) function plus its 3D Glasses accessory.

The Master System's Controller also had a similar layout to NES, but because the D pad was had diagonal directions and "1" and "2" touch buttons, Sega of America had a loophole.

Nintendo went after Atari Games/Tengen because they had grounds to. Tengen committed patent infringement by reverse engineering NES cart ROM boards to override the lockout.

Regarding the Wii Mote. The only thing Nintendo has an active patent on is the redesigned single stick. The original Nunchuku design was revoked because Midway and Sega of America had owned the actual design and concept of motion sensor use with more than one stick for use with Dreamcast. Google "Patrick Goochy of Midway". Also the Wii Mote only functions with sensors superimposed on a Monitor or TV screen which dates back to the Mattel Power Glove days of '88-'89, I didn't see this man's idea functioning the same way, but I'll rewatch just to double check.

Patenting can be pricey, but if you hire an agency like our Partners and Friends Alethiea Games,LLC have for patenting the designs of their new Sega home consumer console initiative "Operation Razor" (Invent Help is an example) then the costs of the design are not much a mitigating factor especially if you plan on selling your concept to a company.

Edit:

(Rewatches Video).

Hmmm....It seems like he's just modding a sensor to allow the monitor to read a light gun.

This can be loopholed very quickly patentwise with a proper switch of output engineering(i.e. just designing a sensor to function specifically for the purpose of allowing an HD TV to read a Lightgun.).

This is a very basic, fan homebrew mod. Not very imaginative, he could do better if he cared.

But I like the idea, I believe it could easily work.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#16 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:50 pm

I think it's naive to say you can patent whatever you want. You can submit a patent for whatever you want, but no matter how good a patent attorney or team you have behind it, the decision of what is patent-able is still at the behest of the patent official. That's usually one person, and they have to deem whatever you're seeking a patent for as different and/or new enough that it requires legal protection.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#17 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:00 pm

SegaRenaissance wrote:(Rewatches Video).

Hmmm....It seems like he's just modding a sensor to allow the monitor to read a light gun.

This can be loopholed very quickly patentwise with a proper switch of output engineering(i.e. just designing a sensor to function specifically for the purpose of allowing an HD TV to read a Lightgun.).

This is a very basic, fan homebrew mod. Not very imaginative, he could do better if he cared.

yuppers, to get around a design patent is as simple as making a new design that has the same function. Edison would not allow Tesla to use his light bulbs when Tesla won the bid to light up the worlds fair so Tesla simply designed a new light bulb. he had a pretty basic design at that too. point is design patents are not worth much.

SegaRenaissance
shadow

Post#18 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Gary_b wrote:
SegaRenaissance wrote:(Rewatches Video).

yuppers, to get around a design patent is as simple as making a new design that has the same function. Edison would not allow Tesla to use his light bulbs when Tesla won the bid to light up the worlds fair so Tesla simply designed a new light bulb. he had a pretty basic design at that too. point is design patents are not worth much.

That is correct. Basic Patent designs aren't as complex as people make them to be. Especially if you want a design that function similar to something else already on the market.

Its why I explained earlier that Master System's Controller had a similar 2 touch button controller and layout as NES, but because the buttons were labeled "1" and "2" and because the D Pad had Diagonals, Nintendo would have had no case against Sega if they had attempted a patent infringement suit.

BaffleBlend
dark night

Post#19 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:01 am

Finally, a reason to use this thing.

Unlike the Wii Zapper, there's no comfortable way to hold it so that the other buttons are accessible while your finger's still on the trigger, so for what few shooting games the Wii/U does have, I haven't even been using this for those. So it's good to see it have a potential niche other than gathering dust on my shelf.

...though I could just use the Zapper, here, too...
Can play online, but doesn't very often.

Avatar commissioned from Steven Borgers (here's his Tumblr and DeviantArt).